The Road Ahead, help?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Road Ahead, help?

What up?!

My name is Jon and i'm new to this forum. i've searched for different digital arts/illustration sites to pose MY QUESTIONS, and it seems i've found the right one. before i get into it, here's the background to make sense of it all. i'm an 18yr old college student DETERMINED to get into a career in animation. HOWEVER, i'm an inexperience artist (specifically, i've never really taken any art classes OUTSIDE my middle school/high school classes). my whole life i've always like drawing and illustrating characters (from samurais to super heroes) and saw this interest as a calling to my future career. but here's the thing, i've never really known what to call that as a profession. like, i know that animation has animators (example)... but what i want to do specifically is draw/illustrate characters in pre-production for films. concept artist seems to general... but i guess that's the title... but yea, that's what i want to do career-wise. ANYWAY... here's my current situation, with very little art experience compared to the real artists/competition out there... WHAT AM I TO DO?

i'm attending a community college to get my G.E.'s taken care of....currently in my first semester... but i'm hoping to transfer to USC for their animation program... my question pan out to these other questions:

-Is USC a good choice for what EXACTLY i want to do?
    -Are there other colleges i can look at that have EXACTLY what i want?
    -I don't have an established portfolio, am i in trouble? (I'm getting started but yea....)
    - What companies should i be looking at for career paths? (does Sony Imageworks have character concept artists? or is that the wrong type of company to be looking at?)
    BTW - I WANT TO STAY IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA... so any suggestion of any southern cali animation company headquarters, i know that's really picky of me... but yea

i understand expanding my studies from my illustrating passion to actual animation would be helpful in the future, which i'm hoping for... but specifically here are examples of what i want to do:

I saw the behind-the-scenes of star wars episode 3 revenge of the sith and artists were given the task to create the look of general grievous... all of them did their own thing with different mediums and mr. george lucas chose the best one... concept art of the potential character's look... pre-production character illustration/concept illustrator.

Looking at this site, everyone seems to know what they're talking about so anyone's opinion and help is welcome

thnx in advance
    much respect to all
    -Jon

Last edited by xkir0x; November 18th, 2008 at 01:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    seriously no one has ANY advice??? 'cause anything would help, a point in the right direction.... anyone?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like "character concept artist" to me.

If you say you're an inexperienced artist, and ask yourself what to do, the answer is: PRACTICE!

Look at the works of some of the best character concept artists (for example, Hyung-Tae Kim and get an idea of the level you need to reach in order to make a living in the industry.

I can't give you much advice on US schools (I'm European), but what I can assure you is that any school where you learn basic drawing and painting skills will be fine. Perhaps a little more than that. Because technique and craft is what you'll need to master.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    THANK YOU for replying!... i was checking this constantly... and trust me, your advice is must appreciated... i'll get my ass to practice (for damn sure)... but thank you again

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - Look in the Education forum for info on different schools and programs. At this point there are no (accredited) schools in the US that offer specifically a Character Concept Art major. That study is usually found within a major for Animation, Sequential Art, or Game Design. Yes, you will have to learn more than just how to draw characters. Yes, that's vitally important because becoming a concept artist is extremely competitive and usually requires that you know how to draw EVERYTHING and have some knowledge of the medium it's going into in order to make it work. Being specifically a Character Concept Artist is even more competitive and almost always these people have made a name for themselves in something else first (ie it's not something you do right out of school, but many yrs later).
    - You will need a portfolio to get into some art schools, and always for scholarships, so do get started on one. Take a look at the "Accepted Portfolios" thread in the Edu board for more ideas.
    - You shouldn't be concerned with companies right now. You might have a "dream job" company, but it really isn't going to matter when you get out of school--you'll be looking for anything to do with art and the right amount of money.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so don't worry about career companies? all right forsure, but schools, yea i get you.... yea i'm hopping to get to USC's digital arts/animation school... and i've heard you expand a lot... so yea, but i've been starting my portfolio slowly... i'm not too confident about my work but i guess i'm tryin my best... thnx for the advice

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.