P.O.W.! Challenge 17--Not Our Kind... - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: P.O.W.! Challenge 17--Not Our Kind...

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,580 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don't know if this will help anyone a bit, but i have to go to Pittsburgh in about an hour and a half, and won't be back till tomorrow evening. Instead of wasting the time, let's just assume the deadline is extended to Monday night. I'm thinking a few of you might be able to use the time.

I'm also posting the new Challenge right now so it isn't up late.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is basically page 4 and 5 of the comic I started for POW 16. These are finals and I am only making two pages this week.
    Name:  POW 17-1.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  366.6 KB
    Name:  POW 17-2.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  362.5 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zimfin, lovely work. I'm really impressed at how much effort you put into it in terms of color and rendering, and it looks great. One thing that bothers me is the speech balloons:
    First I'd lose the drop shadow, or at least make it much more subtle. Right now it just hides the shape of the balloon.
    In the first panel of the 2nd page, the balloon has a lot of text, making it a little hard to read. Maybe breaking it down to a few balloons would make it easier on the eye and also give some pace to his speech.
    In the 2nd panel of the 2nd page, it's a little confusing which balloon comes first - is it the one on the left or the one on top? I'd put the first one higher, so it's 100% clear: left-high first, right-low second.
    Other than that really great job.

vandalrat - also a great looking page. I especially like the establishing shot: there's a great use of black and white and the style fits the scenery very well, creating that mysterious atmosphere. I really hope you'll be able to finish the other one.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chate Noire For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Chate Noir: Thanks so much for your advice. I really appreciate it and have taken it all on board as it made good sense. I made some alteration to the speech bubble in panel2, page2 but not to both of them as I felt moving one higher up was enough.
    Here are my Final 3 pages Ilaekae. Despite the extension, I had too much on to get more done, though I will later.
    Managed to squeeze in the 3rd thanks to the second extension! Thanks Ilaekae!

Last edited by zimfin; December 9th, 2008 at 11:10 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my rather simple entry. I had no time this week, really. Sorry.

Can I just say, this didn't sound so bitter in my head than it did after I wrote it... I guess I still have a bit of a chip on my shoulder about my old school.

Kieran Madden:Official Site

Click here for my all-new, super-happy DeviantArt page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

I knew new proposals will appear at the last minutes.

Anyway, here's pencils of page 3, I have half of page 4 penciled but Im missing the hard panels.

I will ink 'till 12 am and see where can I get.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

I can't believe it took me so long to ink a single damn page.

It looks very bad, I bet that printed in a smaller format it would look better, a format like 2"x3"

I will finish the other two pages and put them up in the unfinished section.

EDIT: Updated page 2 and added #3, let's see if I can manage to finish 4 before Ilekae comes back

Name:  vandalrat-pow 17-p1.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  218.5 KB

Name:  vandalrat-pow 17-p2.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  221.4 KB

Name:  vandalrat-pow 17-p3.jpg
Views: 158
Size:  182.9 KB

Last edited by vandalrat; December 10th, 2008 at 04:45 AM. Reason: Adding more stuffs

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everybody is surprising me, so it's my turn. I'm back home for ten minutes (it's 3:40 am here), which is just enough time to post this. I hope it doesn't screw anyone up too badly. I'm leaving again in a few minutes again and won't be back til late tomorrow night, so I won't get the poll up til Wednesday afternoon at the earliest.

Soooooo...

If anyone wants to go for some extra work on their's, i'll pretend I didn't notice it didn't come in until Wednesday early-ish afternoon. Mine won't be posted til then anyway, since i don't have time to convert them to jpegs until I get back...

(In case you're curious, I'm helping a friend repair/replace some windows that got damaged a few weeks ago and finally collapsed...just as the temp here went to 14 F...I'm freezing my ass off...)

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Come on Pic! You got a couple of days. Surely you can do better than I did.

You other guys are great. Now I'm going to have to step up my game to whatever the next notch is above pathetic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have massively caffled on this one, only got half a page actually sorted, will post that later but it doesn't cover the 'not our kind' it.

Really good stuff.

Here is my Sketchbook. Please have a look if you have time. Thanks.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=119105

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my entry, not to pleased with how it turned out so I didn't end up doing more then the two pages...sorry about that.

Any one elses cheap scanner throw an amazing amount of white glare on to their pages? What do you do about it? (Buy a new scanner...)

There is some great work up here! Well done to all those who put the effort in!

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    arttorney - 1984 is a classic, you write that typeface by hand? I like the style your using for the story, it works well, its got a strange sorta, disjointed feel to it that works with the plot I think

zimfin - Your put work into this I can tell! It's looking great! The lighting again, works well, very atmospheric...

Kmadden2004 - I'm liking the muted colours your using, and the paint stroke effect that brings forward the images

vandalrat - Your story really engages me in the few panels you have, and the simple black and white works very well, you've used the large areas of black well i think, which is hard to do right.

Last edited by Pic; December 10th, 2008 at 02:47 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do the internal text by hand. Sometimes I do the "Arttorney POW 17-1" stuff with my Lexmark scanner's software (as I did this time around).

I got little enough to show for myself on the positive side compared to some of the talents here at CA, so I have been trying to take advantage of those years I spent learning calligraphy (for labeling the occasional patent drawings I have had to produce on the fly.)

Sometimes it seems to help scanned stuff if I push my scanner software's brightness slider bar down about 5 or 10 percent (post production prior to saving). Going a similar amount upward with the contrast slider bar might help were it not for the fact that your entry has colors and gray tones.

Last edited by arttorney; December 10th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm back. The poll should be up in a couple of hours, so thank you for your patience.

Vandalrat, if your last page comes in before late tonight, I'll add it to the poll list. The same goes for anyone else in the same boat.

Mine's not going up because I still have the last page to do, and looking at it just now, I realized it was a colossal sight gag that makes absolutely no sense without the final page. I blame it on advancing senility... I'll put it up later this week in the right thread...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Any one elses cheap scanner throw an amazing amount of white glare on to their pages? What do you do about it? (Buy a new scanner...)
    All scanners have an "Auto Tone" or "Auto Contrast" or something like that by default "ON", search for it and turn it off, so you can do all the contrasting by yourself.

My fourth page won't make it since I won't be able to touch it again 'till next weekend, I'm sorry I'll try harder to complete it next time, we are all learning here, and making comics is hard, at least for me, many things to take into consideration (history, characters, enviroments, page layout, rendering, lettering).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vandal', you have plenty up now for the challenge... and comics are a bitch. That's why we do this--everybody thinks they're something that just pops out easily, but I used to do them for real, and even i haven't finished a single one for any of the challenges yet. I'm proud of what you guys turn in because I know you're all really workin' your asses off...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congrats on winning this one Vandalrat. Great work. Would like to see the rest if there is any.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.