P.O.W.! Challenge 17--Not Our Kind...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following

P.O.W.! Challenge 17
    Deadline: Sunday, December 7, 2008, 11:59 pm anywhere in the world.

Topic: Not Our Kind...

This one definitely has a lot of room for interpretation. There are possibilities for aliens, just plain down home folks not liking your GF/BF, human vs cyborg, falling in love with a chicken, etc. You can interpret the art any way you wish, and the more creatively, the better. Any media. B&W or Color.

You can present your solution as a minimum of TWO to a tentative maximum of SIX pages which adhere to standard comic specs as below...and, yes, you can have the first or last (or both) as a splash page if you want. You can go to additional pages without asking if you have a decent idea that requires it--just don't get too extreme on page counts

Standard Comic Book Size:

--Trim size: 6 5/8" x 10 1/4"
    --Live art area: 6" x 9"
    --Bleed size before trimming: 6 7/8" x 10 1/2" (1/8" in all directions)

This thread will be the place you ask questions on this challenge, trash talk, post WIPs and post your final art. See the READ THIS FIRST thread for all specs.

Good luck.

P.O.W.! Challenge 18 will be posted before Sunday Midnight, December 7, 2008, and will be a special project that will run a full month due to the holidays.

A little note here for all of you who have supported the P.O.W.! Challenges...thankyewthankyewthankyew...

Just a reminder--those of you who didn't get a chance to finish exactly the way you wanted to, or ran into deadline problems, remember there is a sticky section where you can post your stuff when you do get it up to speed.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting. I might participate.

Thanks for keeping this going.

- Steve Nedley

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I'll give this a go.

Here is a link if anyone wants to download a page template.

So does all the art have to fall inside the live area?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,207 Times in 882 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alrighty..giving this a go.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ham-e View Post
    Hey I'll give this a go.

Here is a link if anyone wants to download a page template.

So does all the art have to fall inside the live area?
    Detailed discussion of rules and suggestions Here: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=115867

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the interest, guys...and I wouldn't be my obnoxious self if I didn't mention that there is a sticky called "Read this first..." that has all the good stuff, including templates in. That might be why it's called "Read this first..."? Thank you Arttorney for pointing out the thread.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a brilliant opportunity to comment on how the individual conforms to systems in society in an effort to belong and yet inevitably feels isolated in their struggle to be apart of a society that provides false hope. Personally I feel that more often than not, my efforts to belong in society are so fake and contrived that I can not truely identify with the outcome.

Hopefully I'll get this done and you'll see what I really mean...

I had to delete about 4 paragraphs of ramble & rant, so I think this project could help me really articulate what I want to say with combination of imagery & text.

Here is my Sketchbook. Please have a look if you have time. Thanks.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=119105

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    We will...all...be...waiting with bated breath for your entry, UCT...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    UCT: Wow... I was just going to do something about my time at boarding school... seems kind of silly now.

Kieran Madden:Official Site

Click here for my all-new, super-happy DeviantArt page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just to let you know you’ve another participant!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ilaekae & Kmadden2004 - its only text at the moment, Im trying to get things in a cohesive order so that the story progresses smoothly.

This is hard. I think i have too many ideas and either need to drop some or grind somethings together. The 'not our kind' scene is sorted, .

Here is my Sketchbook. Please have a look if you have time. Thanks.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=119105

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

WIP - Third page of three

Maybe I'm posting this wip a little early, but I promised myself I would post at least a little something by the end of the night, and now its my bedtime!

Also, first comic... I would like input, if you have any, so I can get it as right as I possibly can at this early stage.
    You're all more experienced and cleverer and good-looking then me (maybe flattery gets crits?) so any crits would be warmly received.

Obviously a missing panel here, it is headshot of woman talking flirtatiously in case you want to know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Early WIPS are a good thing. Your diligence will pay off because you will not feel the deadline pressure so bad later.

This looks interesting and the drawing is readable so far. The story line could be firmed up, but I can see this is page three and I am sure page 1 and 2 will provide some background.

Don't forget to put your screen name and page number on them so Ilaekae won't get all mixed up when he is making the poll.

It looks like you are exploiting the rule of thirds to bring the eye to the points of interest as the reader goes along. Are you doing that on purpose?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to arttorney For This Useful Post:

Pic

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, this looks interesting! Never drawn for comics though I love them so I might give this a go. Making up the story is the hardest part!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, this is where I am so far. First page. I think I will try to keep the colours quite muted but we'll see. Since it is my first proper comic page, I have marked the different areas, i.e. live, trim and bleed in slightly darker shades, (bleed being the darkest) just so I am aware of where I am painting in the page. Hope that makes sense.
    and this one is just to check my text is legible!

Last edited by zimfin; November 26th, 2008 at 01:12 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    alright internet is coming back easy for me again soooo...

i'm gonna give this a try...

Yo Yo YO Panel of the Week POW

Needs Critique CrimsonBows

Obey the principle without being bound by it. LEARN, MASTER AND ACHIEVE!!!~ Bruce Lee

When one has no form, one can be all forms; when one has no style, he can fit in with any style.~ Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it safe to assume we don't need supporting dialogue as long as the topic is conveyed plainly?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Korrecto-Mundo...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by arttorney View Post
    This looks interesting and the drawing is readable so far. The story line could be firmed up, but I can see this is page three and I am sure page 1 and 2 will provide some background.
    I should hope so, although I'm a bit dubious as to how well the panels flow, I'll see what people say when I post them up next.

It looks like you are exploiting the rule of thirds to bring the eye to the points of interest as the reader goes along. Are you doing that on purpose?
    Not intentionally! But now you've said it I know what you mean, is it working? My last panel is taken to far out i think, maybe I should redo it cropped closer to the figures if i have time. Thanks for taking the time to crit!

zimfin Your background is really nice! I like the highlights on the distant mountain top and the faded watercolour quality of it, it adds a good sense of distance to the scene...

The same highlight detail on the creature works well too.

I noticed an inconsistency between the size of his eyes in panel three and four, and I think the eyes in panel four should be changed slightly to fit the style the rest of him is painted in, I think a change to them (perhaps bolder highlights? they seem more blurry then the rest of him) will pull the creature together well

I realise its to late for this and it only a small thing, but I think that a different angle on the balcony rather then directly side on will help bring a 3-dimension sense to it, even if only a slight curve to the top edge.

...nice consistency between the design of the palace and the design of his robe by the way

------------------------

A WIP from me, just why the woman looks like a drunk I'm not sure

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Pic; November 27th, 2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: To add a WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pic View Post
    zimfin Your background is really nice! I like the highlights on the distant mountain top and the faded watercolour quality of it, it adds a good sense of distance to the scene...

The same highlight detail on the creature works well too.

I noticed an inconsistency between the size of his eyes in panel three and four, and I think the eyes in panel four should be changed slightly to fit the style the rest of him is painted in, I think a change to them (perhaps bolder highlights? they seem more blurry then the rest of him) will pull the creature together well

I realise its to late for this and it only a small thing, but I think that a different angle on the balcony rather then directly side on will help bring a 3-dimension sense to it, even if only a slight curve to the top edge.

...nice consistency between the design of the palace and the design of his robe by the way

------------------------

A WIP from me, just why the woman looks like a drunk I'm not sure
    Thanks for the feedback. I'll see if I can incorporate some changes as mentioned. It is not too late since I have made no further progress anyway due to other responsibilities.
    I'm not really experienced enough to give you a valid crit but I like how it is looking so far. It's probably not related to the story but I was curious when I saw a face lying in the street, (in the bottom left corner) in the scene where the girl is walking home. Is that meant to be there or were you just working something out on the edge of the page?
    Anyway, keep up the good work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, made some alterations, (thanks Pic!) and that is pretty much the first page finished, apart from adding my name and page number and so on. Really enjoying this. I am aiming for around 3 pages but that is by no means a certainty!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    zimfin- looking like you will be a staunch competitor around here. I don't know shit about digital so i will let somebody else crit.

Pic- you're more like me in that your pencils are rudimentary compared to how it looks when it's finalized. Be sure to finalize it. Re: rule of thirds ... it's kind of hard to do something solid with this because you have to ask yourself 1/3 of what? The bleed area? The trim area? The live area? As long as it seems to pull eyes through the panels you have done your job. Make 'em read. Make 'em want more and more.

Re: drunk woman ... Hey! Let's face it. Up to a certain point, drunk women can be mighty sexay! I ain't complainin' and I doubt if anybody else will. Just don't draw her barfing.

Oh. I almost forgot. i am going to do a couple of pages that amount to pages 4 and 5 of the three pages I did for the last challenge. Drivin' by angst, I'm just a poorly socialized complainer. Can't wait to see yours, UCT.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just had the weirdest idea for this challenge. I'm definitely in this one...

What's going on looks really good so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pic- you're more like me in that your pencils are rudimentary compared to how it looks when it's finalized.
    So we are both lazy! Good, now I don't feel so guilty

Be sure to finalize it. Re: rule of thirds ... it's kind of hard to do something solid with this because you have to ask yourself 1/3 of what? The bleed area? The trim area? The live area? As long as it seems to pull eyes through the panels you have done your job. Make 'em read. Make 'em want more and more.
    Composition is important, I try to pay attention to it, but it's an easy one to let slip under the radar when your learning

Re: drunk woman ... Hey! Let's face it. Up to a certain point, drunk women can be mighty sexay! I ain't complainin' and I doubt if anybody else will. Just don't draw her barfing.
    Darn! That's page four out the window.

I'm glad you two are submitting something soon , both your work is always interesting (based on previous POWs).

Zimfin - It's looking good! I'm finding it hard to pick out anything now, i like the lighting on the folds of his robe in panel 5 (lighting must be a strong point of yours) if I were to nitpick it would be the pupils of the aliens, they seem painted on? Not sure what to suggest though, maybe you could try a few things...or not...its a small thing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pic View Post
    Zimfin - It's looking good! I'm finding it hard to pick out anything now, i like the lighting on the folds of his robe in panel 5 (lighting must be a strong point of yours) if I were to nitpick it would be the pupils of the aliens, they seem painted on? Not sure what to suggest though, maybe you could try a few things...or not...its a small thing
    Thanks! Lighting has always been a favourite way for creating mood. As for the pupil thing, I know what you mean but I am also unsure what else to do. Can't seem to find a better pupil shape. I am not too concerned at the moment though. I am more concerned with the fact that I am making this up as I go rather than having the story planned out! Guess it will be as much of a surprise for me as for all of you! Lol.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, P1 is done, (pupils adjusted thanks Pic) and P2 is in progress as you can see.

Last edited by zimfin; December 2nd, 2008 at 11:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I managed to finish inking page one, penciled page 2 and got other 2 pages to draw, since I got to work tomorrow I will have only one day to finish all that's left, I'm not sure if I'm gonna make it to deadline but damn I will try. I just noticed my skeleton had one arm longer than the other will fix that.

By the way, to anyone wondering, 11"x17" is "almost" in perfect proportion to standard comic pages, I recommend using that size if you are confused by sizes.

Attached Images Attached Images    

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice work vandalrat. Good luck getting it finished. I was hoping to get 3 pages done but now, I will be lucky if I can finish the minimum 2! Damn it!!
    *edit*
    Well, here are 2 finished pages. Sorry it is only the minimum. I will try to get a third done tomorrow but it is unlikely I will finish it in time. Please correct me if this is the wrong place to post the final works.
    Thanks.

Last edited by zimfin; December 6th, 2008 at 02:19 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dammit..I gonna have to drop out of this one. RL interrferred with this big time. 3 flats on my scooter in a week for starters..

blah.

Bad bad week. No biscuit.

I'm drawing a blankin my sketchbook, that is

Ye-ha! I actually completed my site.Check it out

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.