some of my drawings
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp some of my drawings

I signed up here a long while ago, but this is the first time I got up the nerve to actually post something. These are some drawings I did last year in class. I'm not currently in a drawing class, but I will be next semester, and I'd like some opinions about where I need to pay special attention to or improve. Everything was drawn from real life in either graphite or charcoal.

Attached Images Attached Images            
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    moar watermarks plz

You're on the right track. Understanding anatomy only comes with practice. I'm sure you'll improve a lot with your drawing class.

The issues that strike me the most are line quality and the smudging. Try to make more confident, continuous lines. Don't pet them like you're doing now. You can lay down a ton of lines in your initial sketch but you have to refine them afterward.

The way youre smudging your charcoal life drawings takes away from the definition of your masses. I just realized I'm way too tired to explain anything coherently. Smudging the entire piece makes everything too soft . Planes get lost and it just starts to look dirty.

Keep it up, start a sketchbook thread. Hopefully someone less sleep deprived will come along and offer advice

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,377 Times in 3,598 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    With the life drawing sketches you need to lose the outline by blocking in the background. The thirds life drawing, again it’s the lines, especially the breast in front of the face. Even the hair should be as dark as the line where they meet, not lighter. Your proportions on the bodies are good, but I don’t like the face at all – sorry.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to work on your line work, facial anatomy and foreshortening.

Start a sketchbook thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gentlefood3: I think I see the smudging thing you mentioned, but I'm not sure how to improve on that... do I need more contrast? less? I don't really know what to do there... Maybe if you showed me an example I'd understand it better.

black spot: Don't worry, I hate the face too XD It looks really messed up (makes me wish I could've done it from a photo). You know, I can't believe I never realized that outline thing until you pointed it out. I feel kind of dumb now, especially since I know that I know that there are no outlines in reality. I'm glad you pointed it out though, because now I'm more likely to remember.

Thanks for the crit I hope I get more, I want to get better.

I find myself hating my foreheads. I only have that one head posted right now, but how's the forehead there?

rattsang is offline i am destructor bahhhhhhwwwaaaaaaaa!!!!!! Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by WindieDragon View Post
    gentlefood3: I think I see the smudging thing you mentioned, but I'm not sure how to improve on that... do I need more contrast? less? I don't really know what to do there... Maybe if you showed me an example I'd understand it better.
    smudging kills contrast, that a problem, because of the lack of value in dry media (and in painting too but not as much) compared to the real world we need to make up for it in some other way. use of edges can compensate for value. instead of having a light value and a medium value and smudging them, you can use a light value and a slightly darker light value with a sharp edge between them this will actually have the same contrast as the light and medium value. well this is the best i can explain this right now as im of to bed its 5 am..................

its time to knuckle down and really lick boot!
    LOOK MOMMY! I laid a sketchbook!
    My Blog

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.