Wacom Cintiq 21UX

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Wacom Cintiq 21UX

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wacom Cintiq 21UX

I use painter with my intuos 3, but i've been looking up about the Wacom Cintiq 21UX, and it does look pretty impresive, does anyone here use one or has anyone used it, and is it really worth the price?

Any feed back on this would realy be appretiated

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a Cintiq 21U plus a intuos3 which I use side by side. The Cintiq makes the intuos jitter every so often if it's too close... but since I only use the intuos kinda like a palette to access my other screens (I have two other monitors) and not to draw on much it's not a big prob.

I wouldn't be without my Cintiq now. I never had any problem drawing with an Intuos, but thought from all the reviews I'd read that the Cintiq would be easier on the hand/eye co-ordination. And it is. I find it much quicker to draw my Cintiq - and I notice the difference when I go back to drawing on the Intuos on my laptop as I have to concentrate a lot more to get freehand curves right etc.

When I first got it I really wasn't sure I'd done the right thing. I do think the pen/cursor calibration could be better, as it depends where on the screen you are and the angle you look at it, how close the pen and actual cursor are. And while you can recalibrate when ever you want, I think it's pretty much hit and miss. So when first using it the space (which is the glass between the pen and cursor) feels really noticeable (around the edges of the screen it's very noticeable). I didn't like it at first, but after a week of using it I got over that and now I barely notice it.

I do get a bit of jitter around the edges, but who paints .5mm from the edge of the screen? I believe that is more of a problem in the smaller model, and it probably also depends on interference from other sources. Maybe it would be less away from my other monitors, but I'd need a huge desk to test it. None of the driver updates have helped and so I think it's more to do with electrical interference than anything else.

It also gets quite hot after a while (not great in summer), so even though you're supposed to be able to use it on your lap I'd never do it - apart from the fact it's very heavy. I wear cheap cotton gloves with the fingers tops chopped off to stop sticking and getting hand marks all over the screen. I've used it so much that the plastic pen nib gets so worn away it's got a bit sharp and marked the screen, but I may just be heavy handed, and anyway the marks don't affect or obscure painting/drawing a quick wipe over with a mircofibre clothe helps to clean it up.

If you draw/paint a lot I'd thoroughly recommend it. Just know that it may take a little getting used to.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi fes, thanks for this, very much appretiate it. £1700 is a lot of cash , and the last thing i want is another useless piece of junk hidden in the corner, that just hasnt paid for itself. I dont expect huge improvement to my art skills with this, after all at the end of the day it is just another tool, what i'm more interested in how much faster its supose to be than the normal tablet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, a good, balanced, review, and helpful for those of us who are in two minds about whether to part with the money or not.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by grenogs View Post
    ... what i'm more interested in how much faster its supose to be than the normal tablet.
    Well... as to faster, I'm not sure. But I find it easier on the ol' brain and don't have to concentrate so much on getting the cursor where I want (not that I noticed I was 'concentrating' when using the Intuos3 prior to owning the Cintiq).

As I said I found it especially noticeable drawing curves - I usually have to have a couple of goes using the Intuos to get a curve how I want, whereas not so much on the Cintiq where I see exactly where my hand is - you can also use a ruler on it which is near to impossible on a Intuos - not that I do, but you can.

Drawing my roughs, I'd say yes it was a tad faster and I do notice the difference if I have to switch back to the Intuos on my laptop. Painting is probably less noticeable. As you say... it's not going to make you a master. Since I draw for a living it's paid for itself, but it's a big spend if you don't. I still woulda craved one tho... but I'm greedy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I've a Nushield screen protector for my 12WX, it stops the screen from scratching and also helps to cover up the old scratches. I wish I'd bought it sooner.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My screen has got scratches so a screen protector would be a good idea. Thanks for the suggestion Frog!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh bit disappointing... Nushield only seem to do screen protectors up to 17" diameter - too small for the Cintiq 21UX.

After some time Googling, it seems that all the other screen protectors seem to have an adhesive of some sort which covers the actual screen (which I believe the Nushield ones don't) which may void the Wacom warranty (wacom seem to say they've had problems with adhesive screen protectors damaging screens).

*Correction to the above*

I sent an inquiry to Nushield and they will do a protective screen to fit the Cintiq 21UX in their antiglare film (I did ask for the Clear film - so I guess they wont do Clear in this size). They say that this film is still very clear but will minimize reflections from overhead lighting. The cost is $30.00 per film. This film will have a 3/16" wide low tack adhesive strip around the film perimeter to stay in place. If anyone is interested you may have to request it as it's not in the Wacom section on their website.

Last edited by fes; November 18th, 2008 at 11:18 AM. Reason: Addition to comments

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't remember where I found the comment that Wacom claim having a protector invalidates the warranty... I googled for quite a while, and it was probably on some miscellaneous forum (so I can't substantiate it and I may be wrong). I believe that Wacom haven't actually stated it as fact anywhere, however I don't doubt that if you stick an adhesive protector on your screen and the adhesive protector does something to the acrylic screen (don't think it's glass) that Wacom could say it was your own fault for using a product they don't cover. This is clearly only my opinion. Google "wacom screen protector warranty" and see what comes up.

I personally wouldn't go for a full adhesive protector.... it'd be too hard to make sure the screen was lint/hair free - I couldn't stand to have anything trapped underneath. Ugh.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosen_Ice View Post
    I looked around some...and found the warranty information ( http://www.wacom.com/productsupport/warranty.cfm ) . It seems the only issue is the "unauthorized modification" (i guess adding a screen protector of any type would be modification?)...hmm
    Just take the protector off when you send it in for repairs. Problem solved.

They just don't want to deal with a modified item ON top of the screen in case that item damages the screen they need to repair.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Using french curves?

FES;

I also thank you for the review. I was interested to read you actually used a straight edge at one point. I wondered if you had tried the same with a french (irregular) curve? It seems like this ability could be really nice for drawing other than just organic subject matter. Of course, PS lets you Stroke Paths and Painter will let you Align to Path for a similar result; it just gets in the way of sketching.

_thanx

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't used a french curve but that's just because I don't have one. But it's certainly possible. The only thing that gets marginally in the way is the space between the glass (ie between the pen tip and actual screen) as it can make exact alignment of connecting lines more tricky (the whole calibration thing). But I'm sure you'd get used to it with practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

I was just wonderng, does the 21ux have to be next to your computer? can i take it and draw with it on my couch or take it to someone else house. I know a compter is necesary to install and set it up but afterwards I should be able to draw with it without being connected to a computer, right?

by the way Im new here. ello.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone is interested i have a Cintiq 21ux that i am getting rid of. I don't know if this is the right place for this. If not if anyone can show me where i would be able to post this this would be great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Electricb7 View Post
    I was just wonderng, does the 21ux have to be next to your computer? can i take it and draw with it on my couch or take it to someone else house. I know a compter is necesary to install and set it up but afterwards I should be able to draw with it without being connected to a computer, right?

Nope, 'fraid not. Think of it as simply another monitor. It has no ability to run a program by itself (it's not tablet pc). If you want to take it somewhere you'd have to take a laptop too to plug it into. Frankly the 21UX is too heavy to lug around with ease. Those that want mobility go for the 12WX.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    but as long as a computer or labtop is near by i shouldn't have any problems right. would i have a problem if I installed the software on my computer, then took it to my friends house and used it on his computer. if I did that would i have to reinstall things or reconfigure settings.
    I UPS brought mines yesterday and I only unpacked it, the I went to sleep and didnt get around to setting it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You will have to install the Wacom driver (download the latest one from the Wacom website) on every PC or laptop you want to use it (before you plug in the usb connection), or it will only work as a normal monitor.

It's the driver on the PC that tells the Cintiq how to work, not the other way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Electricb7 View Post
    but as long as a computer or labtop is near by i shouldn't have any problems right.
    ?? Not too sure what you're asking here. It's not wireless.... it has to be plugged in, both with monitor cable and usb, therefore it has to be quite close to a PC or laptop 'cause the cables aren't that long.

Last edited by fes; December 9th, 2008 at 02:29 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

thanks. I feel stupid because Ibought the damn thing thinking that I didnt have to close to my computer because I love to len on couch to draw. but thats ok, i should still feel comfortable at my computer desk. thanks for the help.
    oh yeah, wish me luck, this will be my first tine using Painter, photoshop, or anything else that isn't done with pencil and paper.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.