Cold Planet - Concept
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Cold Planet - Concept

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cold Planet - Concept

It took me about 4 hours to Finnish this, and i would greatly appreciate it if someone could give me some advice. Anything to make me a better artist. I don't mind if you even say it sucks lol. I just want to get better! So please help me out and tell me what you think

Thank you again!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the cliffs a lot! The rock formations look very natural.
    Also, 4 hours to draw this is impressive to me personally, as I have a very slow working pace.

You could do a lot more with snow than you are doing now, nothing says "cold" like a rough, thick, almost horizontal snowfall. For some depth I'd recommend adding motion blurred snowflakes really close to the viewer, and traveling across the screen.

Can't say I like the planet texture in the top right, some brush strokes eat away at the 3D effect of it actually being a huge ball in space. And maybe work on the glowing effect more, at the moment it drowns into the background and doesn't give the viewer much to look at.

Can you explain what I'm seeing right in the middle, and bottom left? Some sort of technology?

Last edited by Salmon Snake; November 13th, 2008 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Snake View Post
    I like the cliffs a lot! The rock formations look very natural.
    Also, 4 hours to draw this is impressive to me personally, as I have a very slow working pace.

You could do a lot more with snow than you are doing now, nothing says "cold" like a rough, thick, almost horizontal snowfall. For some depth I'd recommend adding motion blurred snowflakes really close to the viewer, and traveling across the screen.

Can't say I like the planet texture in the top right, some brush strokes eat away at the 3D effect of it actually being a huge ball in space. And maybe work on the glowing effect more, at the moment it drowns into the background and doesn't give the viewer much to look at.

Can you explain what I'm seeing right in the middle, and bottom left? Some sort of technology?
    Wow your 100% right about all those things. And the technology in the middle was supposed to be a military station and landing strip. The ships go into that hole looking thing with the lights to an underground city almost. As far as the part on the left idk wtf i was doing there. It should be rocks. I do think i need to make changes on the Base itself but i dont know whats wrong with it. I cant put my finger on it. Im gonna get on those changes you told me about right now though. Its gonna make a huge difference. Thanks your the man!!!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm glad if I can help!

I see the base now, it's a cool idea, the whole underground city thing. At first I thought it was the surface of a space ship buried in the snow.

Now that I understand what you're trying to achieve, to be honest I think there are some major scaling issues. The cliffs give the impression that the scale is much smaller than what you're going for. Sorry but I had to do this...

Name:  ColdPlanet_by_PiletX.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  194.8 KB

This is the scale that my brain wants to see, I guess the cliffs are not fit for majestic Mt. Everest proportions. So smacking a huge space age military base in the middle doesn't go very well with the rest of the picture. Sorry.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Salmon Snake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Salmon Snake View Post
    I'm glad if I can help!

I see the base now, it's a cool idea, the whole underground city thing. At first I thought it was the surface of a space ship buried in the snow.

Now that I understand what you're trying to achieve, to be honest I think there are some major scaling issues. The cliffs give the impression that the scale is much smaller than what you're going for. Sorry but I had to do this...

Name:  ColdPlanet_by_PiletX.jpg
Views: 144
Size:  194.8 KB

This is the scale that my brain wants to see, I guess the cliffs are not fit for majestic Mt. Everest proportions. So smacking a huge space age military base in the middle doesn't go very well with the rest of the picture. Sorry.
    Hmm i understand. I think your right. But the idea of adding like military troops kinda like you have em would be a cool idea. Mabey a mech or something too. I was hoping to add a cool space station or something but i guess that ideas pretty much screwed. Well Im gonna try adding some people in thar ill post what ive got in a bit. Thanks man

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Work on matching the sharpness of the snow to match the rock.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't fear reference , especially if you're not 100% familiar with the subject. A few things I'd point out:

1) More transition between snow and rocky peaks. With the wind blowing, snow will pile up into drifts and fill in crevices at the base of the peaks. Do this and you'll create a more organic and natural feeling. Right now it looks like they're resting on a perfectly flat plane.

2) Like Bai Fan noted, notice how hard-edged the snow can actually be. It's not as soft as you might think.

3) Think about interesting rhythms and patterns you can create with the snow on the rocks. Look at any picture of snowy mountain peaks to see what I mean. Nature creates some beautiful rhythms.

Here's a few photos to show that might explain better than I can:

Attached Images Attached Images      

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bai Fan View Post
    Work on matching the sharpness of the snow to match the rock.
    Quote Originally Posted by Twitchfinger View Post
    Don't fear reference , especially if you're not 100% familiar with the subject. A few things I'd point out:

1) More transition between snow and rocky peaks. With the wind blowing, snow will pile up into drifts and fill in crevices at the base of the peaks. Do this and you'll create a more organic and natural feeling. Right now it looks like they're resting on a perfectly flat plane.

2) Like Bai Fan noted, notice how hard-edged the snow can actually be. It's not as soft as you might think.

3) Think about interesting rhythms and patterns you can create with the snow on the rocks. Look at any picture of snowy mountain peaks to see what I mean. Nature creates some beautiful rhythms.

Here's a few photos to show that might explain better than I can:
    Alright guys thanks for your advise im working on it right now. Both you guys gave me pro advise and i really appreciate it

And this is where i currently am from before. I fixed the planet. I'm also adding the sharp snow on the cliffs. I did a few other things like remove all the technology stuff as you can tell. I myself think the snow is coming out great on the cliffs, but if you think other wise please tell me. I also tried to make it snow but it came out like shit.

Any comments would help

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.