Zombie survival - Improvised survival outfit (updated 11/14)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Zombie survival - Improvised survival outfit (updated 11/14)

There's a zombie virus on the loose and people are turning into living dead. These are the slow, more traditional zombies in contrast to the "infected" that run and think. They're still highly dangerous, especially in groups, as one bite, drop of blood or saliva into your system causes transformation. They are extremely hungry for your brains.

There is a safe extraction point 8 kilometers from where you live, but you'll have to travel through a "downtown" area, so confrontation and battle with the zombies is inevitable. Public transportation and cars are useless as there are too many road blocks.

You have 2 hours before you have to leave.

WHAT DO YOU TAKE WITH YOU FROM HOME? HOW DO YOU EQUIP YOURSELF?

You can only use the stuff that you have in your home right now.

Me:

Long sleeve t-shirt, thick layers of curtain fabric wrapped around my forearms to protect from bites, and my warm and padded winter jacket. I'd rip my girlfriend's jeans apart and wrap strips of it thickly around my neck, it would limit my head movements but protect from bites. Two long-johns and black jeans, pretty impenetrable and durable. Black running shoes and a black beanie.
    I'd pack along warm gloves, but I'd be bare handed to get the best grip from my weapons. This is, unfortunately, my weak link, not owning leather gloves.
    I'd combine plastic wrap and curtain fabrics, to make a blood and saliva-proof scarf to cover my nose and mouth.

I'd hammer a few nails into one end of my 1,2 meter didgeridoo so that they're sticking out a few centimeters. It's pretty light to wield but still a heavy-hitter. I'd carry it in my hand. Meat cleaver (sharpened) for close encounters, I'd attatch it to my right leg with a leather belt for easy access.

Backpack full of essentials, like 2 liters of water, extra socks if the ones I'm wearing got wet, ID and passport.

Name:  zombieinvasion.png
Views: 1585
Size:  98.0 KB

Last edited by Salmon Snake; November 13th, 2008 at 10:29 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Nice. I like the war didgeridoo action but I'm thinkin those hands are too small to hold onto it!

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    That is awesome. What about some goggles or some kind of protective eye wear in case their blood splatters on your face from cleaver and bludgeoning injuries you may inflict on them while enforcing justice on the baddies?

You don't have a full chain mail suit laying around your house? I thought everyone had that??

It would be fun to see him riding down a zombie riddled street in a soap box derby car, sending those undead heads flying as you make your initial escape.

Thanks
    Swimming goggles would be perfect, along with leather gloves and other leather clothing, but that's the beauty of it: you have to manage with what you got.

The hand grip on the didgeridoo does look a bit strange, but I think it's still pretty accurate. The thing is too big to wrap your hand around properly.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    I agree about the hands being too small though. Even playing with proportions usually hands are about the same size as the face, because they're the second most expressive part of the human body imo besides the face (eyes). I mean otherwise we don't often see people gesticulate otherwise

It would be pretty funny if he had saran wrap or tinfoil getting his monsters mixed up if you were going for something humorous. He'd also invest in gloves. If the point is not getting bit by covering up, you'd cover up those hands.

I dunno why, but I'd steal a fire extinguisher and keep it around along with an axe.

Thanks
    Well if you compare the hands and feet in size, you'll see that they're both very small compared to everything else. It's purely a stylizing thing, playing with the character anatomy.

Besides I like this drawing because I managed to create a character that looks pretty balanced while still being very original anatomy-wise. It doesn't represent or enhance my features though, I wasn't going for a caricature.

The humor aspect is the realism of it - This is actually the guy you'd run into if you were also surviving a zombie invasion in my hometown in Finland. I didn't want to add anything unnecessary, functionality was top priority.

Oh and I do keep a pair of gloves in the backpack, but as I said I need the best grip from my weapons. Also the blood-proof scarf only goes on when fighting - So I guess this is my combat pose. >:----(

Thanks
    nice drapes

Thanks
    I like the small hands and think it fits the style better than if you had gone the other direction with over sized ones. Big blocky body with small hands adds great character, and small skinny bodies look best with huge hands - unless you go perfectly proportional, that works too.

Thanks
    Thanks I'm glad you like it

I'm going to work on this a little more and submit a version 2, I'd like to get HARD criticism on that!

Thanks

There you go. Fixed the hand holding the weapon a little bit, redid the eyes to look more like me, and generally more "alive", added the blood splatters and steaming breath, changed the jacket text to be accurate, added texture to the trousers, modified the shadow.

RIP IT TO SHREDS!

Thanks
    Looks good other than the breath. I couldn't really figure out what you were tryin to do at first

It looks like splooge

Thanks
    Any suggestions on how I can make it better?

Thanks
    I would have just left it out

Thanks
    OK. How about now? Looks better in my opinion.

Thanks
    still not sure if i like the breath, but it's definitely better

I think it's an awesome concept, btw. I like thinking about that kind of scenario...what I'd do if I had X amount of time in X catastrophic situation, if it happened now.

Thanks
    Thanks! Its a fascinating thing to think about man...

Right now it's pretty cold outside, like -10, and I wanted to incorporate that in the picture.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.