Sketchbook: Tea's Sketchbook ...of DOOM
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Tea's Sketchbook ...of DOOM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Tea's Sketchbook ...of DOOM

Hello everyone, this i my 1st post on this forum.

When I began to study architecture in college I realized how much concept art really meant to me.

I have decided to dedicate myself to it seriously and registered to this forum after seeing the amount of incredible artists that display their work here.I would really love to get some advice and criticism from you guys.

Attached Images Attached Images          
    Last edited by Tea of Doom; May 20th, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man- honestly- I dont know how likely you'd be to land a gig as a concept guy... I'd use the architecture study to get into some 3d modeling and then work on your concepts on the side. It's a cut throat business and there's tons of people going for the very few concept jobs, a beginner like you has no chance competing with even entry level concept guys, let alone the pros.

As for constructive tips, get your @$$ out to some figure drawing classes/session- try to take a weekly night class at an art school and also do an additional session or two at an open session. You'll need years of life drawing for your stuff to start lookin' decent. On top of that, drawing from life at a coffee shop or at the beach or at school, whatever, also helps... for some basic anatomy I recommend Bridgeman's and Hogarth books.

DRAW TONS every week. Fill sketch pages with real life drawings. That's the basic tip. If you're lookin' for work though, I'd say try 3d to get an art job while you improve your 2d. There's more modeling jobs than concept stuff.

hope that helps man. dont mean to sound harsh, but your stuff is rough and you know it.

cheers-

[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[[ www.BADiDEAfactory.com ]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Ragnar. It's the kind of comments I'v been looking for. I won't give up on my art tough, hard work doesn't scare me.

Hearing something from an accomplished concept artist like you means a lot to me.

Last edited by Tea of Doom; December 9th, 2011 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today i had a Yoga class, but since the teacher is absolutely horrible most of the people fell asleep when he was explaining . I sketched some of them, concentrating myself on the motion. Here is what it gave. I also did a quick sketch of people in the metro on my way home. Not teh best place to sketch tough since the metro in Montreal is shaky (like anywhere else I suppose?) .

Last edited by Tea of Doom; October 25th, 2010 at 12:46 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok so today I decided to practice reflections on metal surfaces and drawed my perforator... I messed up one of the handles tough and may redraw it in the following days.

And yes it took me 4 hours... I don't know, I guess I'll draw faster with more practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a drawing of Nihlathak (a character from Diablo 2). I think I messed up some of the face's proportions, but i wanted him to have thin eyes and a small mouth.

Last edited by Tea of Doom; October 25th, 2010 at 12:47 AM.
    Sketchbook

A creative artist works on his next composition because he is not satisfied with his previous one. When he loses a critical attitude toward his own work, he ceases to be an artist. - Dmitri Shostakovich

Thanks
    Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,110 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Tea, good to see the studies, try to keep those up.
    And don't worry you'll be drawing faster with every sketch!

Happy hoildays mate,

matt

Quote Originally Posted by gutss View Post
    yesterday, God came to me in a dream and told me that if I don't become a comic book artist, he has decreed that I shall instead be a burlesque dancer.
    And I said, "But God, nice panties are so expensive!"
    And he said, "Welp, I suppose you better shut up and draw."

Blog
    SketchBook (updated)
    Company

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, i'm trying to find myself some place in Montreal where I could do those with a real model...otherwise i can always draw in cafe's and libraries.

Sketchbook

A creative artist works on his next composition because he is not satisfied with his previous one. When he loses a critical attitude toward his own work, he ceases to be an artist. - Dmitri Shostakovich

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my hand o_o

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More of my hand. And 3 bandits relaxing after they have pillaged a tomb.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Havenčt posted in a while.

Anyhow,here is another piece.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy copied form a book

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some landscape swatches I worked on this week. I tried to concentrate on values in all 3 of them.

The nigth atmosphere in the 1st one came out very contrasted. It looks kinda nice I guess but it somehow doesn't seem quite natural. Too much high key values?

The sunset (second swatch) came out wrong. Seems like the trees are overly green (need to be darker) and the area behind the house is unclear. Also, lack of cold colours.

I tried some pastel colors for the third one. The shadows were hard to introduce but I like the relation I got between the different colors. There is a feeling of softness emanating from the values.

I like how the fourth one came out. I tried to create a focus point when painting it so I added the motif on the facade of the temple. 2 versions for this one: with and without the blue trees in the background.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some work from this month.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more drawings, mostly made in the last two months. The live figure sketches were all 15 secs - 20 mins in duration.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Last month's work. A few live sketches and 3 environments.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those enviroments look lovely. Do more of those. For the figures, you already know what I have to say. Loosen up. You gotta capture the life and energy of the pose, rather than just "Leg here...arm here" You know? Thats why gesture drawing is so important. You want to show the energy through the lines and forms you throw down. Keep going to lifedrawing, and you'll get better and better. And draw everything all the time.

Btw, nice meeting you tonight, haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some more figure drawings. The guy in the medieval armor was quite hard because at first I didn't know where to focus my attention ( him or his apparel). I figured that the best thing to do would be to render a section of the figure instead of trying to apply overall tones to the body (especially brecause he was wearing leather and metal which means lots of relfections everywhere.)

The lenght of the poses were:
    Medieval man ; 2-25 mins
    Other nude man: 15 secs-20 mins
    Fully rendered sitting man: 3 hours.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are a few copies of frames from The King's Speech movie. By the way, great movie, I definitely recommend it.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Intensive life drawing atelier days 1-2. The long poses are 1:15 in duration. Sketched on 18'' x 24'' paper with standard B8 - HB pencils.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Day 3. 2 long poses only. 1;15 each. Graphite on paper.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    4 th day. Missed the 5th cause I was sick arrggh..

When I was drawing the long pose the guy was shaping up like if he was a native american. So I decided to go a bit loose and let him be that way.

Last edited by Tea of Doom; August 22nd, 2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so 2 B&W environments.

I am hoping to do some thumbs and do some studies from photos to have a better understanding of depth in perspective.

More to come tommorrow.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a photo study from today. The first drawing is closer to what the colors are on the orgininal picture. On the second one I tried to create a focal point by muting the foreground trees a little bit.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another photo study. Trying to get a feel for textures brushes in PS.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright so some environments.

The first one is more of a rough.

I tried to keep the 8 last ones as simple as possible. Only used 1 brush for each.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So much has happenned in the last few months I on't even know where to begin. Basically I am now a full time art student.

So here are some figure studies to start it off, I'll post more in the following days.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hands and feet skeleton/casts studies.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some hand/arm studies, from reference. Currently doing some from imagination, will post later today.

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great studies! You can render like a beast. Keep it up!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 91