Sketchbook: Zhonked's Sketchbook - 7/1 +10

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Zhonked's Sketchbook - 7/1 +10

Hi everyone, I've been visiting CA for years now and I've finally worked up the courage to post here. I'd really appreciate any and all critiques and suggestions on how to improve any aspect of my art. I'm looking to start doing more finished drawings as well since I mostly just doodle away. Of course since I'm no longer just lurking I'd love to be able to help anyone else out in whatever way my limited abilities will allow. I'm finishing up a short beginners figure drawing course (my first ever art class) so hopefully I can post something from that soon too. I'll definitely be trying post at least every 2 days if not daily. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to look at and/or comment on my stuff! Here are some things from the past few years. I have stacks of crappy doodles everywhere but I hope to post only the newest stuff after this first post. Thanks again!

Oops, I screwed up the whole thumbnail thing so I had to move all the images from this post down to a later post. Sorry!

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by zhonked; July 2nd, 2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: updating title/thread pic
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haha, I don´t really see anything I could criticise. Great sketches! I really like that sleeping gal. Keep it up sir.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vingrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice works mate! I expecially like some of the poses and expressions. Hands are quite nice too, though I'm not so sure about pinky on upper left one. Keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to andrea.bianco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Vingrey and Andrea for your kind words. And definitely thanks for pointing out the pinky issue. It looks a bit long now that I'm looking at it again. That one was from a few years ago so maybe it's time to do some more life drawings with hands to see if I've gotten any better. I'll be visiting your SBs right after this post! Thanks again!

I know I said I wanted to post only new stuff but I found some older things lying around that I wanted to put up for critique as well. I have some new ones that I'll post later tonight. I'll also try to make more finished drawings and learn how to scan them in better so that it's easier to see and critique. Thanks again!

Last edited by zhonked; November 12th, 2008 at 11:27 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How much older are these exactly? I like how confident are you in anatomy, torsos are without any major anatomical flaws as far as I can see. And that "Leaving" piece is great candidate for coloring and finishing, really like that one! In the first one, i think that guy in front has wrongly attatched ear, it should be more to the right.

Oh and thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vingrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got some really nice lines and love some of the expressions on the cartoon characters, got a certain feel about them. Loving your ladies too, nice proportions.

My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Porg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Vingrey: The ones at the top of the last post are from maybe 3 - 5 years ago? I had a long period of time where I didn't draw at all. I'm getting back into it and I really want to stick with it and get good, so I'd really appreciate any critiques you guys can give. Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking about painting over old drawings and forgot about it until you reminded me again. I'll definitely do that at some point.

Porg: Thanks for the compliments! I really enjoyed your sketchbook man. I might want to try doing a few really dense pages like you have done

Here's a new page of arm practice from imagination and some older stuff (one that I missed when I moved it from the first post). This will be the last set of old pages for awhile since I really want to get critiques on newer things. Thanks again for looking guys!

In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi your sketchbook looks really good and i have to admit your anatomy skills are exceptional, and you have a great sense of composition as well. in your first post you have this picture of this girl stood with a hooded character looks really good and also the color picture of the girl in the bikini, would love to see some more "finished" pieces like that they look amazing. Anyways keep up the great work

SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

"THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    GOOD studies on the last post. remember to work
    harder on your studies than the imaginary stuff.
    if you do this, you will be drawing stuff from your
    mind in no time.

study study study and never quit! the moment you
    quit art, that is when you suck. it's progress from here
    on! :]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bagg: Thanks! None of my art skills can be labeled exceptional, though I'd to reach that point one day. I definitely want to do some more finished pieces thanks for the reminder!

MattGamer: Thanks for the great suggestion Matt I keep telling myself to do that but I end up doodling random stuff instead most of the time. I'm finding a lot of joy doing life/referenced drawing recently, though I hope I can really turn those sessions into true "studying". You already inspire and motivate me with your work, now you inspire and motivate with your words! Thank you! And I vow that I will never quit again

Here's some new stuff from this weekend. Studies on the female figure, one crappy one done in charcoal to practice an exercise from figure drawing class. The others in my usual sloppy style. I really need to tighten things up. I'm also trying to teach myself how to oil paint. These are my first and third ever oil paintings, done on cheap canvas paper. One is greyscale to practice tone and the other in color to practice... uh... color. Pretty boring images, but wonderfully educational and FUN. I'm already feeling to itch to try some more digital painting As always please rip into these with critiques and comments. It's the only way I'll learn!

More interesting images than these soon!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    remember that anything you do, you are progressing
    your art skills. no matter what it is. from drawing from
    life to having fun drawing little doodles. you are progressing
    and don't even know it. the more you draw, the better
    you get. plane and simple. :]

love the oil study! cheap materials are the best
    in my opinion for painting. since i'm starting out
    i don't know which paint is better and frankly don't
    even care. same with brushes! when i get more
    advances i will start to figure out things. but at this
    stage, cheap stuff = win/win situation.

keep up the work and keep up the art forever! and
    thanks for the comment on my sb. you motivate me
    just as i motivate you. that's what artist should do
    instead of competing all the time. ;] but competing
    is also a good challenge as well. cheers!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I won´t say your anatomy skills are exceptional, but you definitely push me to do more anatomy studies. Means your anatomy pretty much kicks ass.

Love those oils! I still haven´t convinced myself to do traditional, in fear of messyness and complete suckage. You seem to pick it up quite nicely. Waiting for more!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vingrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matt: I couldn't agree more on the idea of the more you draw the better you get. I just feel like I should be broadening and deepening the subject matters I attempt. Finishing a piece seems like a good way to not be lazy and really figure things out. Just like, as you mentioned, competing. I think in a week or two I will try to join in on some of the contests on the forum. Just so I get motivated and try to do new things. The goal wouldn't be to win or anything, but as always just to try my best and learn and have fun

Yes cheap materials for the win! Some friends of mine are suggesting I at least try out canvas since the surface is supposedly different, but that can wait until I get a bit more practice Though I do have to say, I tried out some really really cheap brushes and they were just falling apart on me. So maybe I'll just stick with plain old cheap instead of dirt cheap

I will definitely keep it up! And I am honored that you would say that I motivate you. Hopefully we will continue to motivate each other to get better! Cheers!

Vingrey: Thanks man! This is the reason why I'm so glad I finally started posting to CA, the motivation, inspiration, and support here is amazing. The traditional stuff is a lot of fun and I'd highly recommend it if you have the time. As Matt said in his reply, it can only make you better! This is all supposed to be fun so don't fear it

Last edited by zhonked; November 17th, 2008 at 03:17 PM. Reason: adding reply to previous comment

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cheers for the visit.

Your ladies / anatomy is coming along nicely. Your referenced work is getting better and better with some really nice definition of shades.

Keep bashing on with the painting too. With the cheap paint and brushes thing you'll soon understand what brand names to go by and what to avoid. Yeah, cheap is always good but it'll start getting annoying as your brushes split more often and your paint is weak. You definetly get what you pay for.

My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Porg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your anatomical studies., also the cartoony faces looks neat. Great potencial!

27. The Following User Says Thank You to serio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    duuuuuude, where were you tonight? i was expecting you. sadness. i cried, on the inside.

nice studies...don't stop now!

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

29. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,486 Times in 3,692 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I like your life drawings, they look nice and clean.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up the positive vibe! if you're stuck in your art,
    like Andrew Jones says a lot in his videos, "to go out enjoy the day,
    take a walk, enjoy being in that stuck mode, don't fight it, don't
    make it wrong, and remember nothing lasts forever and nothing's
    permanent, this stuckness will go away." :]

don't wait for anything! if you can do it! do it now! i waited too
    long to paint traditionally and now i feel behind, but it's still
    fun! have fun with art always too! :]

33. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very very nice, I like the anatomy, i'd like to see some more

Find me on DEVIANTART
    On FACEBOOK

Kevin OUT...

35. The Following User Says Thank You to Salacuis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Porg: Thanks for the encouragement I agree on the cheaper brushes but I don't really know anything about what a good paint is supposed to look and feel like. Do you have any suggestions? I'm currently using a set of Winsor Newton brushes (they're my not so cheap ones) and Winsor Newton paint. I went with them because I used to like their watercolor brushes a lot.

Serio: Thanks! I checked out your stuff as well, keep up the good work!

Purb: Haha, I've been busy with holiday and family stuff so I couldn't make it. I'll be trying really hard for next Tuesday though! You have great looking stuff, I can't wait to see all of you guys drawing!

Black Spot: Thanks!

Matt: I love Andrew Jones's stuff, I got some of his videos off of the Massive Black site a little while ago. Very very inspirational. And I'm really feeling the fire growing and as busy as I am, I still make time to draw every day, even if I can't post all of it. Cheers buddy! I'll be joining your 1000 gestures club soon

Salacuis: Thanks! I hope to be posting more studies soon!

For now though I've been mainly working on an anniversary gift for my girl. So there's not been a whole lot of studies. I wanted to do some figure stuff from imagination to see if I've learned anything and here's what I came up with. Lots of things wrong in the balance and anatomy. Plus the rendering took away a lot of what I liked about it in the first place (I'll try to remember to scan in progress drawings next time). The imagination is lacking a bit, so I think I'm going to some studies on clothing in addition to figure work next. So many things to try and learn! Ah, life is good I also included some thumbnails for possible ideas for the gift I'm working on. It's a campground in the woods scene with a fire/tent/overhanging tarp, in case it's completely unrecognizable. Feedback on that would be great since it would help with the finished gift! Thanks guys!

37. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    love this.
    the proportions look good for the guy on the left.

cool zoomin storyboard as well. moar moar!

39. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    for the walking guy, you want to bring his left arm (right side of the page) more forward and his right arm more towards the rear, so his balance is correct. i like the rhythm though. about the camp scene, what are you trying to say, what are you trying to depict, what sort of mood are you going for?

-A

more than (but i'm getting there)

Website
    Sketchbook 7 Latest
    FREE Art E-Books
    Page O' Tos
    Boston Sketchgroup <= Info in post 570
    Monday Nighters: Jushra|Vorp|PartialArtist

41. The Following User Says Thank You to purb36 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Matt: Thanks! Those were supposed to be thumbnails to test out composition. But next to each other they actually do look like a sequence. Haha, very unintentional

Purb: Great crit! Thanks for catching that! I didn't set up a specific pose/gesture before drawing that one and the pose is crappy as a result. His weight and general construction looks to be lopsided and off as well. I also forgot to check it by flipping/mirroring Lesson learned! Oh, I should have mentioned that before, the camp scene is supposed to be very cozy and friendly. The main idea to get across is two of the figures stealing glimpses at each other in a group of friends. Like I said, it's a gift for my girlfriend, so it's a bit cheesy (though true). As it is I think I'm going to integrate it into a longer scroll/fold out type piece with multiple events in a sort of collage. I'd appreciate any feedback on this particular image though as it will help with a rather big piece of the final image. I really appreciate the honest critiquing! I hope I can offer you useful critiques as well Cheers!

Inspired by MattGamer, I've started my own 1000 (tiny) gestures. The first 5 I took a bit longer on and then realized I was just trying to copy the figure and not really trying to hit a gesture so I switched to using the 30 second timer on posemaniacs. I also started drawing smaller at one point. I've done 120 so far, I think for the next batch I will also want to play around with how I do the mark making. See if I can get more information in less strokes and, as Jason Chan says, really work on the "kung-fu" of drawing. Also I've started carrying around a pocket sized moleskine sketchbook that I got years ago as a gift. Now I really have no excuse to not draw whenever and where ever. Hopefully I'll be able to do some quick life sketching soon too. They still suck really bad, especially the robot, but I want to post everything I do so I can get critiqued and see my progress. It was fun doing them though

43. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been a busy weekend so just some more tiny gestures 121-175, only 825 to go! Also some doodles and drawings from cereal boxes. Just going through that list of things I want to practice. I think I'll try to start something a bit more finished this week over vacation.

45. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hell-oh!
    So 1000 gestures eh? I strongly recommend to use a "line of action" as a first move in pose building. I've noticed You use it sometimes but I think it's the best way to see gesture as a simply line at first. Also the cool way to sketch is to draw without pencil interruption. Pocket sized sketchbook is a great idea! I've purchased two for myself today. A6 is the best choice becouse It's so accessible. I can do a tiny thumbnail before sleep and before I was too lazy to pick up a big chunk of paper. I like your drawings from mind. You have already got quite good body structure. I must do couple of these myself ;P. Maybe you should try to draw something from photo or real life. Also you can go stealthy with your pocket sketchbook and draw people at the streets (yeah it's hard becouse you don't want to get caught on drawing someone . Always there are plenty of sketch-subjects from your window maybe... I'm still looking forward to see more digital art from you. Ok that's all for now. Take care.

47. The Following User Says Thank You to serio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work... Your pencil work is impressive.

49. The Following User Says Thank You to forgeman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sick keep iT UPPPPPPPP wow you inspire me so much to
    draw more! it's fun huh?!

and if you pass the 1000 gestures test, you know you can
    do SOO much more art than you did before because you did
    a freakin 1000 gestures. :]

yes like serio said, the action line (or spine) in the figure is
    a good starting point, then build from there. also after a while
    you will find different ways that make you draw faster... but remember
    you are just learning and you will make mistakes, but don't worry!
    these mistakes you learn from! learning is key. and try to change
    up your sketches a bit. maybe start from the legs first or the
    head first or the hands first. it's fun because you can do anything
    and it's your way of art. not anyone elses, the more you do it the
    more you learn your way and it becomes easier to sketch!

keep it up and don't forget to have FUN! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

51. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ahhh, great stuff! I saw you gestures, I was like "Niiice", then I saw the jogging guy and it was more like "Wooow".
    Great progress, really pleasing and inspiring. It seems worthless now to say "Keep it up". But you know. Do.

53. The Following User Says Thank You to Vingrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice line! And a lot of studies!
    The running guy on the bottom of the last page is hot! Hehe!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

55. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Serio: Thanks for the great suggestions! I usually do start with a line of action with the gestures but I've been trying to find new ways of starting to absorb and convey information fast. The not lifting your pen technique sounds like fun, I've always been scared of that but I'll definitely try it on the next set! Thanks again! I draw from photos quite a bit actually and hopefully soon I'll find the time to draw in the streets, its' something I've always wanted to do I'll be working on some digital stuff again in the next few days since I'll actually have time in front of my home computer, I'm pretty rusty and I was never good to begin with so hopefully I can get lots of critiques from you guys!

forgeman: Thanks! Your pencil work is awesome, I'm already trying to spot more blacks in my own drawings after seeing your sb

Matt: Cheers man! Great suggestions and inspiration as always I'm definitely try to play around with my process and approach. And don't worry I know I make plenty of mistakes, hopefully I'm actually learning from them! You keep on rocking my friend! Can't wait to see what goodies you'll post up next

Vingrey: Thanks dude! When are you going to post your figure studies and next painting? I want to see!

Clochette: Thanks for the kind words! The running guy is from a photo on the back of my cereal box. No matter how much of that stuff I eat, I can't seem to get the same physique... Scary thing is that the photo of him is much more ripped that what I was able to draw. I'm loving the work you're doing recently, I really want to find more time so I can explore the more illustrative style that you're just hitting out of the park with Oh well, it's on the list of things to do!

So I'm finishing up my beginners figure drawing course (only one more class left) and I was able to get some of my drawings home last friday. There were all sorts of problems (outside of the actual drawing problems) in getting the drawings into digital format. The photos were at an angle, there needed to be crops and level changes all over the place, and the charcoal simply smeared all over the place. I'm only just beginning to feel a bit comfortable working in a larger format and with charcoal, so I really hope I can keep with it. I'll be taking a more atelier style course of study under Jason Polins starting this weekend, so I'll probably be posting a lot more academic style drawings here in the future. Though I really want to use that as a basis for doing more imaginative/illustrative and concept driven art. Ok enough babbling, here are the pictures!

57. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.