Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast

Thread: Zhonked's Sketchbook - 7/1 +10

Thanks

Zhonked's Sketchbook - 7/1 +10

Hi everyone, I've been visiting CA for years now and I've finally worked up the courage to post here. I'd really appreciate any and all critiques and suggestions on how to improve any aspect of my art. I'm looking to start doing more finished drawings as well since I mostly just doodle away. Of course since I'm no longer just lurking I'd love to be able to help anyone else out in whatever way my limited abilities will allow. I'm finishing up a short beginners figure drawing course (my first ever art class) so hopefully I can post something from that soon too. I'll definitely be trying post at least every 2 days if not daily. Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to look at and/or comment on my stuff! Here are some things from the past few years. I have stacks of crappy doodles everywhere but I hope to post only the newest stuff after this first post. Thanks again!

Oops, I screwed up the whole thumbnail thing so I had to move all the images from this post down to a later post. Sorry!
    Last edited by zhonked; July 2nd, 2010 at 11:27 AM. Reason: updating title/thread pic
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Haha, I don´t really see anything I could criticise. Great sketches! I really like that sleeping gal. Keep it up sir.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vingrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Nice works mate! I expecially like some of the poses and expressions. Hands are quite nice too, though I'm not so sure about pinky on upper left one. Keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to andrea.bianco For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Vingrey and Andrea for your kind words. And definitely thanks for pointing out the pinky issue. It looks a bit long now that I'm looking at it again. That one was from a few years ago so maybe it's time to do some more life drawings with hands to see if I've gotten any better. I'll be visiting your SBs right after this post! Thanks again!

I know I said I wanted to post only new stuff but I found some older things lying around that I wanted to put up for critique as well. I have some new ones that I'll post later tonight. I'll also try to make more finished drawings and learn how to scan them in better so that it's easier to see and critique. Thanks again!
    Last edited by zhonked; November 12th, 2008 at 12:27 PM.

Thanks
    How much older are these exactly? I like how confident are you in anatomy, torsos are without any major anatomical flaws as far as I can see. And that "Leaving" piece is great candidate for coloring and finishing, really like that one! In the first one, i think that guy in front has wrongly attatched ear, it should be more to the right.

Oh and thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Vingrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You've got some really nice lines and love some of the expressions on the cartoon characters, got a certain feel about them. Loving your ladies too, nice proportions.
    My Site

Sketchbook - Crits and opinions needed and welcomed

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Porg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Vingrey: The ones at the top of the last post are from maybe 3 - 5 years ago? I had a long period of time where I didn't draw at all. I'm getting back into it and I really want to stick with it and get good, so I'd really appreciate any critiques you guys can give. Thanks for the suggestion! I was thinking about painting over old drawings and forgot about it until you reminded me again. I'll definitely do that at some point.

Porg: Thanks for the compliments! I really enjoyed your sketchbook man. I might want to try doing a few really dense pages like you have done

Here's a new page of arm practice from imagination and some older stuff (one that I missed when I moved it from the first post). This will be the last set of old pages for awhile since I really want to get critiques on newer things. Thanks again for looking guys!

In a box ruled by the evil wacom overlord
    Thanks
    hi your sketchbook looks really good and i have to admit your anatomy skills are exceptional, and you have a great sense of composition as well. in your first post you have this picture of this girl stood with a hooded character looks really good and also the color picture of the girl in the bikini, would love to see some more "finished" pieces like that they look amazing. Anyways keep up the great work
    SKETCHBOOK

----DESKTOPS THREAD----
    : Share your desktops and wallpapers :

"THE HOLES ARE FOR MY EYES"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    GOOD studies on the last post. remember to work
    harder on your studies than the imaginary stuff.
    if you do this, you will be drawing stuff from your
    mind in no time.

study study study and never quit! the moment you
    quit art, that is when you suck. it's progress from here
    on! :]

15. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Bagg: Thanks! None of my art skills can be labeled exceptional, though I'd to reach that point one day. I definitely want to do some more finished pieces thanks for the reminder!

MattGamer: Thanks for the great suggestion Matt I keep telling myself to do that but I end up doodling random stuff instead most of the time. I'm finding a lot of joy doing life/referenced drawing recently, though I hope I can really turn those sessions into true "studying". You already inspire and motivate me with your work, now you inspire and motivate with your words! Thank you! And I vow that I will never quit again

Here's some new stuff from this weekend. Studies on the female figure, one crappy one done in charcoal to practice an exercise from figure drawing class. The others in my usual sloppy style. I really need to tighten things up. I'm also trying to teach myself how to oil paint. These are my first and third ever oil paintings, done on cheap canvas paper. One is greyscale to practice tone and the other in color to practice... uh... color. Pretty boring images, but wonderfully educational and FUN. I'm already feeling to itch to try some more digital painting As always please rip into these with critiques and comments. It's the only way I'll learn!

More interesting images than these soon!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,102 Times in 781 Posts
    remember that anything you do, you are progressing
    your art skills. no matter what it is. from drawing from
    life to having fun drawing little doodles. you are progressing
    and don't even know it. the more you draw, the better
    you get. plane and simple. :]

love the oil study! cheap materials are the best
    in my opinion for painting. since i'm starting out
    i don't know which paint is better and frankly don't
    even care. same with brushes! when i get more
    advances i will start to figure out things. but at this
    stage, cheap stuff = win/win situation.

keep up the work and keep up the art forever! and
    thanks for the comment on my sb. you motivate me
    just as i motivate you. that's what artist should do
    instead of competing all the time. ;] but competing
    is also a good challenge as well. cheers!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to MattGamer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, I won´t say your anatomy skills are exceptional, but you definitely push me to do more anatomy studies. Means your anatomy pretty much kicks ass.

Love those oils! I still haven´t convinced myself to do traditional, in fear of messyness and complete suckage. You seem to pick it up quite nicely. Waiting for more!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Vingrey For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Matt: I couldn't agree more on the idea of the more you draw the better you get. I just feel like I should be broadening and deepening the subject matters I attempt. Finishing a piece seems like a good way to not be lazy and really figure things out. Just like, as you mentioned, competing. I think in a week or two I will try to join in on some of the contests on the forum. Just so I get motivated and try to do new things. The goal wouldn't be to win or anything, but as always just to try my best and learn and have fun

Yes cheap materials for the win! Some friends of mine are suggesting I at least try out canvas since the surface is supposedly different, but that can wait until I get a bit more practice Though I do have to say, I tried out some really really cheap brushes and they were just falling apart on me. So maybe I'll just stick with plain old cheap instead of dirt cheap

I will definitely keep it up! And I am honored that you would say that I motivate you. Hopefully we will continue to motivate each other to get better! Cheers!

Vingrey: Thanks man! This is the reason why I'm so glad I finally started posting to CA, the motivation, inspiration, and support here is amazing. The traditional stuff is a lot of fun and I'd highly recommend it if you have the time. As Matt said in his reply, it can only make you better! This is all supposed to be fun so don't fear it
    Last edited by zhonked; November 17th, 2008 at 04:17 PM. Reason: adding reply to previous comment

23. The Following User Says Thank You to zhonked For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast