Join 500,000+ Artists
Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!
Eow 100!!! EPIC
for this challenge. I am AD, for those of you who do not know, that means Art director
come up with an epic narrative,
your epic saga of choice is going to be pitched as an RPG, You create 5 different environments from this narrative. they should be cohesive (i other words they all need to be from the same artist style, same world and be visually designed) presentation of your five Enviros ad the design of the layout and titling counts! as does a consideration of the possible player demographic of your game.
I will provide a partial list, your Epic MUST BE APPROVED and I will be unlikely to approve epic which have been hammered into the consciousness of the culture.....ie LOrd of the rings. unless you can convince me that your vision of Middle earth is plausible yet entirely unlike New Zealand
LIST OF EPICS
chose form the list or propose your own idea. it must be approved, by me.
Chanson de Roland
Jason and the voyage of the Argo
the labours of Hercules
The Fairy of Dawn
Carthage and Hannibal
the mormon pilgrimage to Utah
Dante's Divine comedy
1000 and one nights
5 Environmental scenes from one pre-approved epic saga
they must be designed to be seen together and layed out in a thoughtful fashion
DUE three weeks
[B] GET TO WORK! Throught the kind attention of Jason and MB there are prizes and there will be judges as well as a pollB]
NO description required, except the title of you Epic Saga, and perhaps a link to a blurb for the less familiar ones
FOLLOW THE TOPIC.
POST YOUR FINAL in the final burning thread THREAD.
SAVE YOUR FILES IN THE FOLLOWING FORMAT. EOW##_Nickname
PLACE THE IMAGE IN A FRAME WITH YOUR NAME/TOPIC layout design matters give it some thought
example from CHOW
(you can add CA logo, etc).
Add an icon to you final post
150 pixels either direction
PLEASE OUTSIDE HOST THE ICON
the list so far of accepted epics and the [people who selected them
I have no objection to more than one person working on the same thing
HUge thankss to Tatiana for compliling the list. adn Bart who was working on it, and Cookiedough for suggesting it
1. Don Quixote de la Mancha ---------- daveneale
2. Wizard of Oz (World of Oz) ---------- AndreRuben
3. Dune ---------- Kamikazebob
4. The Inferno/Dante’s Divine Comedy ---------- arttorney
5. Beowulf ---------- Saturns Gate
6. Dante’s Divine Comedy ---------- hunchbackmagee
7. Gilgamesh ---------- gmblfdz
8. Bram Stoker's "Dracula" ---------- timothee
9. Malazan Books of the Fallen ---------- Sorknes
10. Song of Ice and Fire ---------- nimbusnacho
11. Hitchhiker’s Guide ---------- Chibihomey
12. The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H.P. Lovecraft ---------- iwantjelly
13. Burrough's "Mars" ---------- rayk
14. the odyssey ---------- tonysaurus
15. "At the Mountains of Madness" ---------- Corrick
16. The Dark Tower Series ---------- Sundance
17. Glen Cook's Black Company books ---------- Ave101
18. Maupassant ---------- derriere
19. Dan Simmon's Hyperion/Endymion ---------- m@.
20. The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan ---------- artiphats
21. Ragnarok (Norse mythology) ---------- Xenier
22. Nibelungenlied ---------- Relic
23. Paradise Lost ---------- aberrant85
24. Peter Hamilton's 'Night's Dawn' trilogy ---------- Mr--Jack
25. Alice in Wonderland ---------- petitemistress
26. Ringworld by Larry Niven ---------- Espenboi
27. David Gemmells epic novel Legend ---------- Gaius
28. the Ramayana ---------- vibhas_virwani
29. Alice in Wonderland ---------- Adele
30. The Neverending Story ---------- hungryan
31. Stanislaw Lem's books -- "The Star Diaries" ---------- Tonic
32. Ender's Game Series ---------- ChaoticKnight
33. Follett's Pillar's ---------- Vyse
34. Clive Barker's Abarat ---------- Orunitier
35. Anne McCaffrey’s Pern (Dragonriders of Pern) ---------- tatiana
36. chronicles of the breaking ---------- patr1ot
37. Dark Disciple or The Wheel of Time ---------- tobbA
38. Marion Zimmer Bradley's Mists of Avalon ---------- katinki
39. Asimov's foundation trilogy ---------- TheChevver
40. The Neverending Story ---------- Hideyoshi
41. "Volsunga saga" ---------- robmorfin
42. Bryce Courtenay's The Power of One or Yann Martell's Life of Pi or “Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy” ----------¿Dubious?
43. The Fairy of Dawn ---------- laekae
44. Gabriel Garcia Marques '100 Years of Solitude' or 'Love in the time of Cholera' or Ovid's Metamorphoses ---------- Mishkin275
45. William Gibson's - Neuromancer ----------2kre8
46. Dune ---------- ajv/.
47. Atlas Shrugged ---------- nimbusnacho
48. Wigalois or Parzival ---------- legendarybarr
49. Eon by Greg Bear ---------- kilz
50. Gormenghast or Count of Monte Cristo ---------- zephyri
51. "Eden" by Lem ---------- aer
52. 1984 by George Orwell ---------- brewin
53. romance of three kingdom or The Fountainhead or franz kafka's k ---------- zenichi
54. John Bunyan's The Pilgrim's Progress ---------- suman_d123
55. The Moses Epic (The Holy Bible) ---------- pokepetter
56. Atlas Shrugged ---------- Phaethon
57. Greg Bear’s The Forge of God ---------- Earendil
58. His Dark Materials ---------- FlameRaven
59. Alice in Wonderland ---------- Jim_Hatama
60. Earthsea ---------- Janto
61. Beowulf ---------- Kmadden2004
62. The count of monte cristo - alexander dumas ---------- hutachip
63. Gormanghast ---------- Felicity
64. The Wheel of Time ---------- zelda_geek
65. The Gospel (New Testament Bible) ---------- revenebo
66. The Wizard of Oz series ---------- Windsrock
67. Raising Dragons from the Dragons in our Midst ---------- ijacobs9
68. Terry Brooks Shannara series ---------- space-sprayer
69. Amber Chronicles by Roger Zelazny ---------- Chachia
70. The Waste land by T.S. Eliot ---------- Trashy
71. George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice (Game of Thrones) or The Wheel of Time ---------- corspufo
72. brave new world or the time machine ---------- warbait
73. Tony Gonzales “eve:the emperean age” or Dante’s Divine Comedy ---------- Cuervo
74. Pratchett’s Discworld series ---------- Angel Intheuk
75. The Magician’s Nephew (Narnia Chronicles) ---------- Jangles
76. Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series ---------- Pixeltuner
77. George R.R. Martin's Song of Fire and Ice ---------- ZsMann
78. Grapes of Wrath ---------- tmbritton
79. 'Ramayana', 'Mahabharath' and 'Kamasutra'..? ---------- animosapien
80. Harry Potter ---------- Demo
81. Culture universe created by Iain M Banks ---------- plasmax
82. The Hobbit ---------- Ramza
Last edited by chaosrocks; December 7th, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
Do I need to clarify what 5 enviros I'll do within a topic or just choosing the 'epic' and getting that approved is enough?
Well that was an.. not horrible but difficult read.
So let's see. We draw 5 environments based on one of said topics.
(e.g Alice in wonderland)
Must the style be alike that of said topic?
If you chose Alice, must the artwork be Disney inspired or what?
I'm not entirely following as you can see.
Like a super wide panorama? explain.they must be designed to be seen together and layed out in a thoughtful fashion
"Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."
oh goddess please
you choose which Enviros you do
Alice is NOT Disney. NONONONONONOOOOOOOOO!
I specified literature, as in words. so as not to get interpretations of other peoples visions
the style must be an interpretation of the topic and be cohesive
the Five Environments need no be attached into a singlepanorama
but they need to be layed out to be seen together. as in Visually designed as a whole
Okay then.. I think I understand.
How's stargate for a topic? Approved? :p
"Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."
i think i dind't understand it very well..
but I want to pic the world of OZ! I remember it was one of my favourite fairy tales in my early years.. it would be nice to dive into that world again
So, I need to draw 5 diferent enviros from OZ?
The first thing that comes to my mind is the yellow brick road. I supose that would be one of the 5 enviros that i must draw right?
and what does it means it has to be from the same artist style? do i have to paint them all similair to each other in terms of way-to-ilustrate? Or do I have to search for artists wich drew the first concepts from the book and follow their style?
and my work begins.
btw Chaos... with Dune do I need to go by the first book or can I go be the series...?
This is just a joke, Chaos.
Rather than an RPG I thought about doing Dante's Inferno and pitching it to Hallmark as a new series of "Go to Hell" cards. I think it's a winner.
I actually would love to do the Inferno, but I don't think I have time to do it proper justice before the deadline. I'll see.
I need to do research on a couple of those topics, because they sound interesting but I need to know more.
The rules seem pretty clear, count me in on this EPIC eow!!! Should be great fun and a great challenge.
Have you memorized the first book? Anything that'll help you man.
Dark Materials, Dune, or Oz...Maybe something entirely different.
Great idea chaos!
I think another way of phrasing this is, What kind of audience are you trying to tell this story to?
From Wiki Entry:
"The term demographics as a noun is often used erroneously in place of demography, the study of human population, its structure and change. Although there is no absolute delineation, demography focuses on population structure, processes and dynamics, whereas demographics is most often used in the fields of media studies, advertising, marketing, and polling, and should not be used interchangeably with the term "demography" or (more broadly) "population studies"."
ok Stargate is a NO. LITERATURE ! Words for you to translate into visions. Stargate is already visual.
on the oz question, dive into the books and come up with your own images. I don't want rehashings. and you get to pic what 5 environments you want to use.
daveneale don quixiote is a definate YES why didn't I think of that?
By style I mean that all the enviros might want to be in the same medium and style. Your choice, your style.
giggle at the "go to hell " cards.. you will notice it says the Divine comedy, which gives you the Paradiso and the purgatoririo to work with too.
as for working with Dune.. I stick to the first book , there's plenty scope there and lest you want to e overloaded... beware the movie images. you don't have to stick to the frist book though . I would
which reminds me
Milton's Paradise lost.
Last edited by chaosrocks; November 11th, 2008 at 12:58 PM.
i definately want to do this.
Can I do Dantes Divine Comedy?
It is very descriptive and looks like theres a lot to work from.
And can it be anything in the poem like five of the nine levels, like lust and gluttony and purgator?
Aw man. Stargate is a book dammit
But okay. Crap, that means I'd actually have to read one of those books within a few days to get time for the enviros. I don't think I can pull it off. Took me 3months to get through that weird book harry potter
"Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."
I'll give you Harry Potter, if you promise to try to make it different from the movies.
hunchback magee... sure
I'm in. I've actually just started reading a book on Mesoptamian myths which includes Gilgamesh. I guess I'll be going for that one.
I'd like to give this one a shot, how about doing Bram Stoker's "Dracula"?
You can work now and play later, or play now and work later.
dracula is a yes, although it is a little less than epic again avoid the movie images
I've had a "half-go" on the Malazan Books of the Fallen then? Author: Steven Erikson - a bloody wonder of a series. The world is made by him and Ian Cameron Esslemont who has also written a couple of books in the same world.
If anybody else have read it, I'd *love* to see some more takes on those epic places.
As second option I'd hold any of China Mièville's books. You know you'd love to do some steampunk underneath a mastodont ribcage or floating ocean cities...
"The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist"
Sork's SB - Crits appreciated - not getting updated atm
C G H U B SB Thread
Facebook, please send me a message about your username
Malazan is a go
Hell, I'm gonna give this a shot. Not usually an enviro person, but no better time to start than the present.
I think I'll tackle Song of Ice and Fire, I don't see that this would be a problem, but if you say it's not okay I'll find something else.
Maybe it's too close to LotR type stuff?
How About the Hitchhicker's Guide series?
Okay, I'd like to do this, although I can't promise getting much past the sketch stages. My environments would be of a world I'm creating for a comic book - the lands of the Telav and beyond. The idea is to have a largely unexplored world with lots of tropical locales in a Renaissance/Baroque setting, filled with magic and crazy creatures. It's not based on any literature except what I've written myself. The focus would be marvelous nature, and manipulation of natural forces through magic, i.e. huge storms, funnel clouds, and such.
I know this is meant to be environments but can characters or creatures be implemented to provide the pictures with extra depth? eg, the cyclops in The Odyssey, or will his cave merely suffice?
Or to put it another way, are we simply creating the environments in which these stories take place or the actual snapshot of events that take place within the epic tale?
thats a yes on Song of Ice and Fire
and a yes ion the hitchikers guide
TASmith Im afraid thats a no on your own writing, as yet mostly unwritten, sorry has to be already written, and in fact something that ive at least heard of. don't let me stop you from doing them though. sounds really interesting. love to see it. just not for this.
yes on Lovecraft..cthulu is on the list... the others are fine too
you can put in figures. if they are an integral part of the Environment, butthe image should no be about the cyclops, more about the cave and island he lives on. K/
adding to list
King Solomons mines
I claudius (roman imperium)
various works of robert Loius Stevenson, black Arrow, Kidnapped, Treasure island
Oh!!! I think I'm in (although I might get super busy at work...). Could we get a bigger deadline? 3 Weeks is kinda short to get familiar with a topic and produce 5 mood pieces...
If we choose Burrough's "Mars" as the topic, which of the books would be recommended? I've found some of his firsts book in public domain as audio books.
Cheers! Can't wait to see what everyone else comes up with
Great ! I'm on Lovecraft's "dream-quest of unknown Kadath" then.
For those who would like to do Cthulu or other parts of the "ancient demonic" part of Lovecraft's work, you won't do the same subject as me because Randolph Carter's story is very different from Cthulu, Azathoth and Nyarlathothep oriented novels : it's more a dreamy, fantastic mood than the gritty horror we all know Lovecraft for. That's why this book is my favorite, and why i'm chosing it.
This EOW will be grand. Thanks for such a good, open subject Chaosrocks !