Eow 100 Epic! - Page 9

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Eow 100 Epic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's my fourth environment thumbnail sketch: Pern's Half-Circle Sea Hold.

I've already got some changes in mind for the layout to improve the view of the Docking Cavern and maybe give a bit more of a look at the interior of the Hall through the open doors. As with the others, I will still be adding people (more than what is barely seen through the doors) and some more of the fishing fleet to provide better overall scale info and context when I go to color with the final layout.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice structure, tatiana, a suggestion would be maybe you could have a stone sculpture adorning the top of the entrance, and also you might want to make the ship bigger for scale or have the tip of another making it's way into the port.

This activity is not only a great idea but it'll most likely spawn the next 10 topics for the EOW.

Website

New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Am I too late to join? I am working on a comic book story and I really need to kick my own butt, and get more done, quicker.

The story takes our main character (young female) to a magic world, where she must confront her biggest fears and darkest secrets. This magic world has several environments: The Forest, The Sea, The world of Darkness, The world of Light, and her own starting point, every time she enters this world: Her own magic home/house, that alters after every big battle. That would make 5 scenes.

I can't promise to finish, but I'm a noob, so it's not like I'd be a big competitor anyway. Is it all right if I join in? I know it's very late.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is my 2nd image, The Wandering Mountain with the Childlike Empress on her way to the top. It actually looks pretty different from the description in the book... *cough

Name:  Neverending2_2_s.jpg
Views: 776
Size:  131.8 KB

DauDau: sure you can still enter! Just choose an epic story and off you go, painting your 5 environment pieces. I think you need to choose an existing novel over your own story though. Check the list by chaosrocks on page 1 for example.

Tonic: thanks! I tried to stick to the description a little, so there's no frozen lake

Last edited by Hideyoshi; November 30th, 2008 at 11:08 AM.
    --(-)|dE--

portfolio

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hideyoshi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful image Hideyoshi!........love that warm light hitting the top of the mountain, as well those wisps of blowing snow. Those little things like the wisps really help to sell the image and give you that impression of it being cold.

Website - Jared Shear

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ZUPZUP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally, I finished book. I did take notes during reading, so I have already a list of places that can be illustrated. At this moment, I'm choosing places and thinking how to paint them. Just for fun, I did a sketch of world, where people think they can live under water, but in reality they can't

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This looks like fun - Would it be ok to do The Princess Bride by William Goldman?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh Em. Gee... wow, this is so awesome. I wish I could participate, but it looks like I'd be coming in a bit late.

As for me, I'd choose either Magician by Raymond E. Feist or Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis. Great, great books, and to my knowledge they haven't been illustrated... well... anywhere! My knowledge is limited, however. Maybe I'll just have to do my own tribute to them outside of the competition =)

Good luck everyone! The images are coming along great! I especially like the Pern ones, I get the feeling I've seen them before... which probably means that the description in the book was detailed enough that I imagined the same thing! I can't wait to see the final pieces.

My DeviantArt Page | Help me improve!! My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great to see some images so far....

i'm not sure if it matters, but do I have to be officially put on the list if I want to do Dante's Divine Comedy?

although i already started, and I'm only on my second one... there never is enough time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still WIP :
    this is the description of this part : when lord Ram finds out that her beloved Sita was abducted by ravana in lanka , he needed to cross the ocean to get to lanka and was about to shoot his magical arrows at the ocean which would dry it out . but thats when the ocean god apeared , volcanoes errupted , there was tension in the forests , birds flew , sun was setting making the sea appear angry like molten lava ...

so only the right part of the piece is left to detail etc. will add a foresty look to those hills in the back ground and some finishing will be required . would appreciate some feedback ....

specially about the colors and if changing the colors worked well or not ??
    cheers !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuffs inhere! I really like the drawings Tatiana, real cozy feel to them. And real good as always Hideyoshi! Tonic, looks interesting with the colors there, will be fun to see the finished thing! Vibras - id say that the sky and water is way to strongly orange, and that its to much the same valour. You might try to make it lighter at the horizon and darker further up(and down). You should definitely look at some reference if you haven't already. Its well on its way anyways, will be fun to see this too when finished!

I got a testingthing here, my epic of choise is the Hobbit.
    Eow 100 Epic!

I have a small question about the competition, what does titling mean in this sort of thing? ("the design of the layout and titling counts!")

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gunnarsson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    gunnarsson, I guess it means that every work must be titled properly - title has to describe exactly what work shows

Forgot to write. Finally I started to paint, for start I've used SketchUp to create 3D sketch of rocket garages:

(Urgh, those Categories and Copyright things you write at Attachments section..)

Last edited by Tonic; November 30th, 2008 at 12:23 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    And after 1h 20min of painting. I'm completely stuck with ship designs, so I probably will take others ship designs as reference. But generally speaking, I'm happy Adding a element that will make it something other than ordinary S-F port (and yes, I have idea, from book ), redesigning ships and detailing it is what remained and will consume a lot of time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it too late to join?
    If it's not, I would like to take the world of "Song of Ice and Fire" or "Alice in Wonderland"

Hope I'll make it in time ]

Art, Commissions and Online classes
    My Site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If it is not possible to draw anything from my own story, then my second choice would also be Pern. I read some of the books a long time ago and love dragons. If it's still okay to join?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by meganite View Post
    ...Good luck everyone! The images are coming along great! I especially like the Pern ones, I get the feeling I've seen them before... which probably means that the description in the book was detailed enough that I imagined the same thing! I can't wait to see the final pieces.
    meganite: Yay! -- then I've managed to capture the Pern imagery floating in my head from the reading the stories, too. Excellent. And I've done some necessary re-reading of some of the key stories in the past week that had the key environment scenes I'm doing, too...lots of color tabs mark description spots in the books to help me finish it all up. I'm fixing some of my layout issues and sketching the final scene tonight...I'm swamped with freelance projects most of next week, so we'll see how that goes for final colors.

DauDau: If Chaos OK's your Pern choice, I'm curious to see which environments you end up picking to concept...

Tonic: That SketchUp looks really useful! Too bad I can't run it on my machine...it's a few OS behind the times, heh. Curious to see what you end up concepting for the final ships in your EOW and wonder what that special "element" is that you're talking about...might have to read the book some time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tatiana View Post
    Tonic: That SketchUp looks really useful! Too bad I can't run it on my machine...it's a few OS behind the times, heh. Curious to see what you end up concepting for the final ships in your EOW and wonder what that special "element" is that you're talking about...might have to read the book some time.
    The special element is the fact that people toys with space ships like as we do with used and rusty cars Lacquer is falling off? Then get the can of paint and paint it! Something wrong with electronic device? Just kick it! The merchant sold you a buggy navigation software? Oh, well, it sometimes happens, that's life. Hope you get it And I'm going to create work in way that will give viewer that impression. I'm still working at it, but you can see in below work that the garage is somewhat crappy, the wall fragments are falling off, on floor there's a cable that was cut. I will add more elements and I hope they will give viewer the feeling that the garage is the last place you would place your own space ship Also, I played a bit with colors and blurring. I think using these enchancements helped with focusing viewer's eyes on ship. Now I'm dying with empty stomach, so I'm going to take break. Detailing did take 1.5 hours, colouring and blurring 15 mins.

About book - it's a must-a-must. After reading first chapter you will probably say "Whoa!" At least, I did

Last edited by Tonic; December 1st, 2008 at 05:39 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, things are shaping up nicely, aren't they. Lot of fantastic beginnings here.

Hideyoshi, that's some tasty lighting, as usual, and Tonic, I haven't read Lem's works either (aside from Solaris, after hearing the movie was a pale imitation), but it must be a pretty remarkable series based on your interpretation. Very nice.

Tatiana, pull back! Back back back... let's see the whole thing!

I s'pose I need to post up soon, numbers 1 and 2 are done, but 3-5 are posing a detail challenge. Hideyoshi, our mountains are going into the cage to fight it out.

--------------------------------------------------------------
    New World Creation: Designers Wanted – Environment of the Week

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question topic approval

Going to be rough to get it completed before the deadline, but I wanted to post here to get approval to work on environments from the Michael Ende novel The Neverending Story. I saw that it'd been approved for someone else and that multiple people could work on a single topic. Sense it is my all-time favorite story and my inspiration to become an artist and storyteller, I thought it would be perfect.

*Tosses the preverbial hat into the ring.*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    go for it
    anything already approaved is good to go
    sorry to be out of touch

yay!
    crx

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

25. The Following User Says Thank You to chaosrocks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Chaos. Pern it is.

Tatiana: I know I want to do a "Weyr" dragon/rider base. The ocean intrigues me as well. Years ago, I read the trilogy that included "Menolly" with her tiny dragons and she came from a fishing community. I am off to the library to get that book today. It may be, that I get to work on her fishing community. A third choice would be "Harper Hall" where they teach art, especially music. Not sure of the 4th and 5th, yet.

I haven't read all the pages in this thread. I didn't want to get too influenced by others before I put my own ideas on paper. I won't be winning, though. I'm too much of a n00b. I'm lucky if I even finish.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DauDau View Post
    Thank you Chaos. Pern it is.

Tatiana: I know I want to do a "Weyr" dragon/rider base. The ocean intrigues me as well. Years ago, I read the trilogy that included "Menolly" with her tiny dragons and she came from a fishing community. I am off to the library to get that book today. It may be, that I get to work on her fishing community. A third choice would be "Harper Hall" where they teach art, especially music. Not sure of the 4th and 5th, yet.

I haven't read all the pages in this thread. I didn't want to get too influenced by others before I put my own ideas on paper. I won't be winning, though. I'm too much of a n00b. I'm lucky if I even finish.
    DauDau: Cool! I look forward to seeing your interpretations! Menolly's "Dragonsong" and "Dragonsinger" books were my initial intro to Pern back when I was in grade school -- and still my favorites.

I'm still dithering on my own final Pern environment selection... I'm caught between two key scenes, particularly after re-reading "All the Weyrs of Pern". Hmm...

Corrick: I'm still tweaking the layouts...yeah, and want to include a bit more for the coast scene so I'll be pulling back a bit. But, too far back and you lose the hint of the interior to the Hold and Docking cavern....but can include more of the fleet. Still sketching, cutting and pasting.

Good to hear about more potential entries for this special EOW in any case! Yay!

t

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Instead of finishing first piece, I've decided to start the next work, so I could refresh myself and finish previous work with more energy. There you have - professor Zazul's laboratory. It was a kinda a mad nihilist scientist who works alone in his own laboratory hidden somewhere in forest. The main character was lost during downpour and found Zazuls' house by accident. And there, he was able to see what's inside.. a homunculus, created by professor. But this fact is nothing in comparing to a surprise that happen later, but I will not say nothing - read the book It's not finished yet, as I want to work on creepiness of laboratory.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Tonic thanks for showing your steps...

I think you are nailing the mood for laboratory.. maybe consider a secondary light (could be another color) from the side so some of the details don't get too buried in shadow?

Funlabor.com, my portfolio site.
    Paint My Brains Out, my blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by OchreHand View Post
    Hey Tonic thanks for showing your steps...
    Glad to hear I'm recording screen while I'm painting, but I will post videos as I complete works and edit video files.

I think you are nailing the mood for laboratory.. maybe consider a secondary light (could be another color) from the side so some of the details don't get too buried in shadow?
    I also have feeling there's too much of black, so you got point. The secondary light source is a pretty good idea, I will try it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Idea sketch for a PERN WEYR....

Eow 100 Epic!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OK, pretty damn late to this, but still gonna hopefully complete the 5. I'm not familiar with many of the books, but i'm going to try and tackle Pellucidar. Some of the images might be a bit ambiguous, in terms of connections with the literature, but i'll do as much research as time allows!

Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    *Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yay yadam classic Burroughs FTW!

crx

To see the world in a grain of sand, and a heaven in a wildflower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in an hour.

Sketch book

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...ight=chaos%27s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    IF it isn't too late I'd really like to use 'The Dark Tower' series by Stephen King- as reference for the five scenes...?
    Yay!

Last edited by lkjhgfdsa; December 1st, 2008 at 11:47 PM. Reason: gunslinger

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow! Everyone's environments are looking great! Here are my works-in-progress. They're based on Burrough's 'A Princess of Mars'. C&C are welcome! Hopefully I'll find the time to finish them all...

Keeping out of direct sunlight.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.