Thanks

Vehkt/gredgie's Book of Doom (Contains NSFW References!)

So, after some time lurking, a few random posts... I finally leave worthwhile marks on this fine site.

I must say, being what it is, putting my foot in the sketchbook door is somewhat daunting yet thrilling.

For the most part, i'm my own worst critic, I will yearn for perfection half the time. This will explain why I probably wont output as many studies at a time as others do, but it's all down to me wanting to do my best, even though they're rough studies.

At the time of writing this first post, i've had my Intuos3 A4 tablet for about 13 hours, so no doubt it'll show throughout my first offerings.

But as with all aspects of my art, I aim to improve over time.

About Me:
    Most call me gredge, it's a long story, though I attempted originality by going for a new name for CA.org. I might see if an admin can change it to "Grehkt", which sounds more... interesting...

As a child, I didn't take to art. In fact I was so uninterested in it, the teachers at the school got my mum to buy me a construction set which featured different lengthed straws with little plastic pegs to connect them all.

I guess it did it's job because I suddenly got into the whole aspect of creating things.

By that time, I already had an imagination going to waste (but what can you do at around 4 years old?). My older brother would ask why my action figures always flew when i was sat playing with them, however, it was in fact me imagining an environment around them. In fact, to figure out poses or actions, I often use the same technique by using a pen or a pencil.

But it wasn't until I picked up my brother's Garfield The Irresistable book a few years later that I developed a love for illustration. Think what you wish of the strip, but Jim Davis is one of the main reasons I ever got into drawing.

So yes, as I grew up on a diet of cartoons, films and computer games, I would mimic styles of the things I was subjected to.

However, school-wise, I never really excelled in art. Perhaps it was merely the fact I suck with actual paints... or maybe my only usable talents lie in drawing. I obtained a meaty D for my GCSE art exam. Quite unfortunate really, I had to do an exam piece on the subject of Illusion.

Probably would have done things a little different if I got another chance...

Then came a fascination with computer programming, my first job, an apprenticeship, had me doing just that for 4 years. All the while, filling my office drawers to the brim with doodles created from a biro and the odd post-it note.

I now dwell in Finland, where I'm currently hunting for a job. Though being the only constant in my life, I feel that my future lies in a creative environment, so it's pretty much game time as I near my 22nd birthday.

Anyway, life story over, my first offering:
    Attachment 515524

Remembering my newbie skills with a tablet, the order I drew these in was:
    (From L to R)
    Second, Fourth, Third, First.

Second:
    Using poses from posemaniacs, this first one came out really well. Aside from the head being slightly more arced than the pose picture, the proportions are pretty much spot on.

Fourth:
    This pose proved a bit of a challenge, half the time, when doing these, I find myself looking at it, thinking it's totally wrong, yet a lot of the time it's not as bad as it seems. Though yeah, this one forced me to use the eraser a fair bit. I tend not to if I can, I have the pose picture on the canvas as I draw it, but I still attempt to "eye up" the proportions, as the next study will show.

Third:
    The male form in motion! I keep looking at the head's of these studies and thinking I might need to do some focused head studies. Hands and feet i'm saving for a bit, the current method I have works okay for now, since the shapes are a pretty accurate guide. After completing this matey, I discovered his legs were too short. But I left them as is just because i'm not really ashamed of my mistakes. Twas a decent attempt and next time I will know to lengthen them if i'm unsure. Torso and arms were pretty good.

I say this, but as you can see the shapes of the parts still need a lot of work, believe me, the work is coming

First:
    Realising I might be oddly better at drawing females than males (I guess if there's one gender to side towards drawing it's the female one, it's much more elegant and artistic in my opinion), I opted to squish one last male into this canvas and I made sure legs played an important role.

All in all, after a start I thought was rockier than it was, it came out pretty much spot on. Again, shapes of the different parts need work, but I'm still happy with the overall outcome.

More soon! And I know, I write so much pointless text...
    Last edited by Vehkt; January 22nd, 2009 at 09:22 AM. Reason: Typo
    . t h o s e . w h o . d r i n k . t h e . d a r k .

The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named:
    Vehkt ~ Spaztastic ~ Realitychek ~ Lakeland ~ Shannanigan ~
    Me, Myself & Me Again

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Studies Round 2

My first full day with the tablet.
    It's currently 14:35 and i'm gonna take a break from studies. I make it sound like i've done tons, but unfortunately only 4.

3 males (the thorn in my side) and 1 female.

Attachment 515908

So... the summaries...

1st:
    So i've decided to attempt the PoseManiac daily pose each day. This would be todays. I bet you all look at it and think "Guy...standing face on... shoulders straight... crossed arms... and he ballsed it right up", well, to be honest... yes... I did. I somewhat frigged construction lines on that one, which no doubt lead to the pose having short legs and the legs themselves being angled... throwing the whole thing out the window.

I can't seem to really... visualise how a pose will look til i've blocked out things, which is probably why I rush into them and fail. Anyway, onwards.

2nd:
    When perspective meets flesh. This proved a really meaty challenge and as you can see, I returned to the running pose of doom that bested me yesterday, seems like it bested me again! Essentially... it's not bad, I say that with gritted teeth. The main downfall of this is the perspective of the torso, I should probably avoid poses with such odd angles at the stage of learning i'm at, since such angles are pretty hardcore in the swing of things, especially when I'm seeking somewhat of a perfect outcome in my studies.

After failing it, I drew myself a little perspective test box thing under it. If you look at the front face of the box-torso inside it, the vertical line at the bottom sums up why my above piece failed, the torso was far too long at the start and needed to be shrunk to give the illusion of the angle. But yes, I think i'll practice on the simple poses for the next round of studies.

3rd:
    After failing the running picture, I sort of wanted to a) torture myself and b) throw myself in at the deep end. I must note, of the four studies, I went to town on plotting out this one. Notice the triangle shape below the pose? That's me sort of being clever. I soon realised it was a useless starting point as working from the feet up is generally going to be much harder. Yet I persavered and started from the head down.

I actually did erase a fair bit in this one, I said yesterday that I try not to erase much, but this pose really did call for it. I started blocking out the arm and leg closest to the... erm... imaginary camera... but after starting the arm and leg at the back, I realised it was more efficient to erase the front ones and start at the back.

The failures of this, I think, stem from the torso. It threw the back (left) leg to be too low, and due to that leg being too low and me having to cross that front (right) arm over it, the front (right) leg suffered also.

I really need to improve the length of the lower legs of my male poses, always seem too short.

4th:
    So, with the first 3 studies ensuring this day seems to be somewhat of a flop. I whipped out a female pose to try claim something back. It came out, pretty well. Again, feeling pressured by myself to not screw up a gender I seem to prefer, I erased a lot, I made sure that I was happy with those legs.

My newbieness with the tablet still calls for me to make calf muscles too meaty, which on a female looks wrong a lot of the time. The arms also needed to be fleshed out, whilst not being too fleshed out.

The torso I was happy with in terms of how I went about it. I'm proud with myself that although the torso is in two "parts", on the right side of the pose the torso is as one as the female stretches over to the side. The thing that made me fear i'd totally messed it up, was the width of the torso in general.

After measurement, I was surprised and relieved to find the torso and arms were pretty much spot on in terms of placement. The elbows of the arms are too low, which unaligned the arms from the original pose and the head is a tad off angle.

The legs, were acceptable to me in terms of length, positioning however, they were more left than they should have been, whilst her left leg should be a bit lower also.

So, i'm 8 studies into my vast learning experience and with each one I discover that I need to study things more in-depth. I need to get myself some books on muscle structure so I can practice those dreaded arms and legs.

If I stick to simple head on poses I can probably hold off learning how to accurately position people in relation to perspective. Though that too will be a key thing to learn.

I'm also surprised about my fear of failing. Heck, I didn't amend my 1st pose even though it's just terrible, so I do have a degree of "hey, just go with it" attitude, but during the drawing phase I still seem to want to please people with the outcomes.

Which at the end of the day is sort of... acceptable. After all, if I didn't attempt to please people with my work, what would be the purpose in picking up the pen in the first place?

Anyway, to cool myself down... I might browse other people's sketchbooks and then maybe have a mess around with the tablet.

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Welcome to the SB lair! ;-)

Dude i didnt read everything you wrote (no time ;-) but what I would suggest is that you use pencil and paper for anatomy and figure studies. You simply can do more stuff in the same time.
    And don't take every single figure that you draw so seriously, just do more of them and draw from good reference (characterdesigns.com, not posemaniacs) or, if you can, from life. Draw the people in coffeeshops and public places.

You need to remember the landmarks and props of the body. How the muscles work and where the intersections are. Study the muscles and skeleton first, so you know whats going on when you draw the real figure.

I wish you best and hope to see more studies ;-)

And use sunscreen!

Cheers

Thanks
    Great start I back up pretty much everything the guy above said, especially about taking each figure so seriously. For studying the muscles and landmarks on the body, I would recommend studying and copying from (if you haven't already) :

Constructive anatomy by George Bridgeman

Figure Drawing for all its Worth by Andrew Loomis

and Dynamic Anatomy By Burne Hogarth.

Most of those books copyright expired ages ago, so you can download the PDF's completely free if you search around.

Good luck, and remember, I'm watching you! pld:

-Sam

Thanks
    Kfeeras: I know, I do write a lot I guess it's a means to let people see my thought process, to establish what my brain is doing whilst I go about these things .

I do somewhat miss the old pencil and drawing pad, I can probably get far more studies done with that then the tablet, although I did enjoy being able to accurately compare it with the poses.

CharacterDesigns.com is a bit of a hidden gem isn't it? Will certainly dig through that

I guess I have a date with skeletal and muscle structures!

I shall do you proud!

SamC: I have in fact got the Andrew Loomis books, but I shall dig around the interwebs for the others .

If I return to ye olde pencil and sketchpad, I'll have to take photos of the results I guess, having no scanner But i'm sure i'll still have plenty to show via the tablet.

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    You haven't posted in 10 days dude! Don't bail out on me

Thanks
    OH HAI!

I know, i've been a baaaad man. But i'm in it to win it now, so, no more slacking! *slaps self*

So, we have:

Adreena Studies x2 - Adreena is a good friend of mine, and she's also a fetish model, so I asked if I could do some studies off some of her photos.
    If you wish to see her GodsGirls page, go hither (NSFW): http://www.godsgirls.com/girls/Adreena

The next two, are both studies from the awesome stock of CharacterDesigns.com. I included the images I was referencing so you can see what I was going for.

The following one is me showing my method for doing studies at the moment. It's slow and exact, although with my learning curve mistakes still occur, but that should fade in time and my speed should improve. It's just me trying to hone a style of doing studies i'm comfy with.

And last but not least, since i'm going to attempt to pay homage to the Laughing Octopus/Beauty boss of Metal Gear Solid 4, I decided to truly step out of my comfort zone in terms of: Instead of wireframing the study, I blocked it in with colour and i'm using value!

Probably too early, but it breaks up the norm and it's always fun trying to capture a beautiful person well. Nice way to see what other aspects of art I need strengthening.

I really must get myself a mechanical pencil so I can keep doing studies in my sketchpad.

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Well, I did some more work on the painting, whilst I wasn't delving too deeply into blending the colours, I wanted to attempt to make the colours... look right... being colourblind and all.

I might make an effort to also learn about shadows and lighting whilst doing my studies. It would bring them more to life whilst giving me valuable insight as to what areas of the body would have darker skin tones to light when the time comes to delve more into colour usage.

One other thing to note, whilst I could have done a better job, doing hair in photoshop is quite fun!

Lyndall Jarvis Reference: http://images.fashionmodeldirectory....s-fullsize.jpg

On to the picture goodness:

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Hey man. I'd focus on structure, anatomy and proportions more before painting. I'd recommend some anatomy studies from bridgeman or loomis, your muscles seem too simplified in place..you can't get away with not knowing these I'd copy the proportions pages from Loomis figure drawing and learn them well, your references seem to be in rather dynamic positions but you should try head on angles to get to grips with proportion. Keep it up

Thanks
    Too true Mr Sam, too true! I shall dig out ze PDFs

*sticks some Scars on Broadway*
    Will post some studies soon!

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    And it was so, now to fill the rest of my evening with polygons and vertices!

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Looking good so far Just keep up with the anatomy studies and figure drawings and you'll really start to get better. Only thing I can see to crit is in your digital work, try to keep your line work smooth and simple- nice easy strokes
    Welcome to the ssg btw

Thanks
    Hi there! Just wanted to say welcome to the sketch group.... I've added you to my Sig.

As for drawing, I hate to sound like a cliche but... practice that anatomy. Not just mimicking what you see... but where parts are and their general shapes, why they are there and how they work and their relation to other parts and the body as a whole. I know, sounds like Science class... but it is invaluable information when drawing figures.

I also agree about all the tablet sketching... you really should see about getting a scanner so you will be more willing to draw by hand. I know the lure of instant gratification with a tablet is hard to resist.... but trying to sketch on a tablet for the sake of learning just isn't as good as old-fashioned paper and pencil. The one you just posted is already an improvement over the others!!

So until you get a scanner... I'll be more than happy to squint at your photographed hand drawings if thats what it takes.

Thanks
    I can't see your first images...*sniff sniff* and your digi stuff is looking better. I will repeat what every one else is telling me...Anatomy anatomy and then some more anatomy and maybe even add some color theory in there too. My SB has some awesome tuts in it, you should use them. Jason is great and so is Loomis. I am currently working from his books too. keep up the practice you'll do just fine.
    The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits.
    Albert Einstein

http://global.thebump.com/tools/tickers/tt6b71c.aspx

Spaztastic's world of junk
    And The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named!!!
    Realitychecks SB LakeLands SB Me,Myself, and Me again Vehkt's

Thanks
    Unfortunately i'm at my girlfriend's parents house for a few days and I managed to bring my tablet yet forgot the good ol' sketch pad.

And as everyone suggests, I do need to delve into the systematics of why things look and work the way that they do. Hence why I started studies with arms and not hands (first thing in the Bridgeman book).

Maybe I should tackle them from a logical standpoint:
    Head - Body measurements usually go by whatever size this part is and since i'm quite "weak" in the head-drawing department, it might serve.

Neck - Connects to the head, study the twisting/hinge-like aspects of it.

Torso - Connects to the neck. Houses a lot of muscles, differs in form (but seemingly not content) depending on gender.

Pelvis - Connects to the torso. Difficult area to get right, basically defines where the subject's legs will start. Guess it would also explore the simplistic yet annoyingly hard to get right, buttocks!

With the Head/Chest/Pelvis sorted I could then do a bit on the way the 3 don't change form in their own respects but as a trio can move on the transverse, sagittal and horizontal planes.

Then I can work on the arms/legs/hands/feet.

All the while doing studies which give me practice in the areas covered already (for example, when on the torso stage, draw studies that have detailed Head/Neck and Torso but nothing else).

Mix in bones and the basics of light and I've got a lot of intellectual nourishment to digest for the forseeable future .

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Might not be studies, but just to remind me that I had a nifty idea on the Siamese Twin front, something I can work on when I've clicked anatomy a bit better:

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Awesome twin concept love the beastie vibe it gives. Reminds me of something off resident evil 4 Please post more like this, but also keep up with the studies. You need alot more of them.

Thanks
    Sweet twin concept vehkt, agreed with me, myself that it looks like something out of resident evil 4

Thanks
    Yay, people from Finland!
    From what I have seen in here, you really are taking anatomy seriously. I wish I'd do that too.

Maybe from now that I'm stalking you, I'll get inspired over time.

Keep posting!

Thanks
    Get to drawing Dammit!

Thanks
    hmm you should finish the twins chow. That seems to be a really neat idea. and dammit do villainous self portrait.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    hey- nice female anatomy studies man--gave me a few ideas--- oughta do some myself--- nice work!!

Thanks
    Hey, someone needs to update their SB......

Thanks
    From the longest possible mash of trying to find a job/art block, I return!

Delving into the realms of animation, I picked up the Illusion of Life, Disney book and now i'm somewhat taken in by the style of Disney characters and such plus the details of the backgrounds.

And so, back from the awayness with a roughed in Elizabeth Bathory whom I will attempt to Disney-fy!

I'll start doing colour theory studies soon I think, I want to have a crack at it :3.

EDIT: What a school-boy error with the hand over the bath... oh dear oh dear oh dear.

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    glad to have you back, been missing you round the sb's lately.

The Elizabeth Bathory is going to be very nice. one anatomy crit. her arm over the tub edge needs to be facing us the audience more so it draw us up and in. the perspective will be a little tougher but will help the composition out.

with the bath tub don't forget to check the perspective on the upper ring either, it looks like it dips too much, letting us see the other side, giving the illusion of the tub tipping over and the blood about to spill out.
    can't wait to see the progress on this.
    Albert Einstein

Thanks
    Still on your first page and you're trying to jump from basic anatomy to disney-fying The perspective on the bath makes it look like it's below the viewer but the mirror looks like it's at eye level, try raising the horizon line so the mirror and the blood pourer fit in. You already spotted the floppy arm coming out of the bath. Urm try defining the form of the blood pourer person, the arms seem too high from the shoulder. I'm impressed with the chick, just don't be lazy Keep it up

Thanks
    You're right Miss Spaz, I should slap a perspective layer over the whole thing and correct it all accordingly!

SamC, you're right about that mirror throwing perspective off. As you are about me being crazy and lunging wildly into new domains. I fancied drawing something other than studies, which do help but you do sometimes have to remind yourself why you're doing them

So if this turns out poor, I can look at it and inform myself that's why I need to practice things more .

Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Looking good but we all wanna see more me thinks
    Keep it up dude i know you won't disapoint.
    Btw elizabeth is lookin good.

Thanks

Thanks
    I dont think so?
    Hmmm