Sketchbook: A fool's journey (Tarot Cards)

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

A fool's journey (Tarot Cards)

I had a post in the crit section but I realize that it really needed a retooling from the bottom up. So what I'm going to do is step-by-step concepts to determine what the best way to redo my project to have a better overall picture.

Here's a little background:

As a new year's resolution, I started on the fool's journey (the story behind the cards) to illustrate in card form, the 22 major trumps of the tarot called the Major Arcana or great secret.

I finished the Fool's journey earlier this month, and re-looking at my cards, there is a vast improvement over the last 11 months, but the cards I started with don't have the same finish as some of the others. I intended to just retouch, but now I realize that I've got to redo some of them altogether.

I don't know that I'd want them published, but would like to see them looking better, so I turn to you to give me crits on how bad I'm doing and what you might think would turn it around. I know that anthro art and cartoon-like illustration isn't the main focus of this site, but I feel this is important enough that I would like to reach out and find others who feel passionately about helping as a community to improve.

The first image is from Last January. It's the fool card.

The elements are the sun which represents enlightenment, the fool which is the main element of the card, and the cliff which is the precipice of decision. I know that there are so very many errors in this piece. So many that I really just want to restart at the beginning. So some might look at just the piece and say what they feel, but I'm really putting up the finished one to show as an example of what the general idea of the card is so they can look at further sketches and comment as to the overall direction.

First up, the piece as it stands now. I have one sketch, but I'll put a few more up so that people can make suggestions about how they feel the piece should go.

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by refleximage; November 10th, 2008 at 09:22 PM. Reason: adding sketch
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Clothing exploration

Someone critiqued that her clothes looked questionable as far as being believable and functional. So I decided to rework them as well. Here's today's sketch. I might have more later.

Thanks
    I personally really like the from-above sketch the most - because its so dynamic I find it the most interesting and also you get the impression of her being on a steep, dangerous cliff more clearly than the others.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to LaurenMagpie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LaurenMagpie View Post
    I personally really like the from-above sketch the most - because its so dynamic I find it the most interesting and also you get the impression of her being on a steep, dangerous cliff more clearly than the others.
    I got that impression too. I love the way artists portray overhead views and it really strikes the scene, but I wonder if it's maybe too centered on the character and blands the background.

Thanks

more work

I chose the second comp because it ended up being more like the others but still a better workup with a bit more of the original motion that I think is necessary for the card's portrayal. Here's the background workup.

Thanks
    I've decided to do other things besides the tarot cards on this sketchbook. So I'll try to keep it going day to day.

Thanks
    old sketch that I've been working with. Cover art or something like that. Piratey. Yar. Also, horray for chicks riding on fruit. It was fan art, but fan art from someone you don't know is weird, so I don't think I'll finish it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.