What Graphic-Card for Painting and 3D?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: What Graphic-Card for Painting and 3D?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question What Graphic-Card for Painting and 3D?

Hello Guys!

As I am getting 18 soon, I already have to find out about this question now, because Iīm getting a computer for my birthday
    My old one is already 5-6 years old and is the reason why I havnīt worked in 3D right now (ever seen a computer committing suicide? No! good and I donīt wanna find out what itīs like)
    The other stoff (motherboard, ram, processor etc that fit isnīt hard to find, but I really have no idea which graphic card
    The main uses for the computer will be: digital artwork (photoshop) and 3D work (blender etc.).
    Can anyone recommend me a card or may even give me test-articles about some? But also consider that it cannot be too expensive...

Well. Happy with any suggestions

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are there really no suggestions from your side? O.O

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You'd have had more responses if you'd posted in the PS or 3D sections.

Anyway, the graphics card isn't that important.
    In the case of 3d work, all the gfx card really influences is your viewport framerate.
    Render speeds etc are far more influenced by processor power and having plenty ram.

I'd go with any decent NVidia gaming card. (nothing against ATI but they used to have funky driver issues with some of the 3d apps back in my day, NVidias always seemed to work fine).

It's a bit of a lottery with gfx cards for 3d as usually the only officially supported cards (ie tested and guaranteed to work) are high end Quadros and the like.

If it's mainly Blender you're going to be using I'd ask around on their forums and see what they're using.

Here's a benchmark test that should give you an idea how much "oomph" you'll get for your money.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/charts/g...Score,794.html

Really though, I was able to run some fairly dense scenes in XSI 5 on an Nvidia FX5700, a card so old and rubbish it isn't even on that chart, processor and ram should be your priorities

For PS, again processor and lots of ram.

Last edited by Flake; November 12th, 2008 at 03:03 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you very much! I will try what you say.

And I didnīt know where to post this, so I put this in there

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I should add that while the graphics card is a low priority, don't get a motherboard with an "onboard" or "integrated" one.

-They're usually rubbish
    -They use resources that the cpu could be using.
    -You'll want to play an awesome new game at some point, might as well enjoy it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    How much are you willing to spend on the card?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm.. hard to say, for I have to buy the rest too!
    Well about 200$ (just an estimation, because writting the number in euros wouldnīt help you would it? )

And onboard cards are really the worst thing possible for a computer, so at leaast I wonīt make this mistake

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dunno, I've had tons of problems with nvidia and Maya. Never used blender.

But not once have ATI failed me.
    I'm currently running on an ATI1450 512mb.
    (though I had to replace the fan because it sucked arse)

And it works perfectly with everything. Can even play new games on high settings. With my new cooler It's very overclockable. Running on as low as 40degrees celsius on full load, idle 20-30c.

With the standard fan it ran as high as 89 on idle and 110 during load. I thought it was gonna melt

Sorry, I lost track.

If you get nvidia don't get anything before geforce9800.
    512video ram.
    Get 64bit vista and 4gb ram for max potentiality :o

"Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Doomhammer View Post
    Hmm.. hard to say, for I have to buy the rest too!
    Well about 200$ (just an estimation, because writting the number in euros wouldnīt help you would it? )

And onboard cards are really the worst thing possible for a computer, so at leaast I wonīt make this mistake
    Payed 145€ for my Sapphire HD4850 graphics card..... did alot of research beforehand, it is defenitly best bang for the buck. (I Bought the dual-slot cooler one, the board is blue, the cooler is silver, can't miss it - same price, better cooling).

EDIT: And yeah, if you're buying the whole system... 4gb of ram is must (2x2gb - no need to buy the expensive ones....), also 64bit Vista to get the benefit of that ram (plus all the other neat bonuses of file/image handling and graphic touches that the graphics card will have no problem taking on)

the processor - Core 2 Duo (7xxx or higher) or Quad

And a good hard drive... Western Digital is the king... AAKS or better (the less plates, the better)

the Power Supply for this will be more than enough a LC 550W for 40€ (the cool black one, 14cm vent), you will not need more.

any box / case will do... your choice

And there you have it, a high-end pc for as low as 500€... or more, depending on the processor and hard drive choices

Computer Technician here btw

Last edited by Ahim; November 14th, 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Pawkfox View Post
    I dunno, I've had tons of problems with nvidia and Maya. Never used blender.

But not once have ATI failed me.
    See, that's why I said..

Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post
    It's a bit of a lottery with gfx cards for 3d as usually the only officially supported cards (ie tested and guaranteed to work) are high end Quadros and the like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well...

I have read through many tests and followed your tipps as well as possible and came (once more) to the knowledge, that NVidia is by far too expensive for their power.
    Too bad that most tests base upon games, so I tried to look for a comparison of the power.
    And this is my latest result: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850
    It costs about 170$ and has 3/4 of the power of nvidias current flagship but costs even less than 1/3 of it

Have you any comments about this one or anything you could warn me about?

Dave_ is offline Fighting dwarves with keytars. Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, HD 4850 is the best way to go for a 200 dollar budget. it rocks all cards in that price zone.

(23:41:52) (ArneLurk) I woner of there are people who have hairy penises

dark eagle is offline i hatea the italino sterotypes ina da soc'ty Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, I could run cs3 and its 3d layers with an intergreted graphics card smoothly at one stage on my laptop but that was just a, phenomenon.

Before painting in cs3 didn't really need any major graphics cards but now with cs4 asking for open gl and if it's denied that, the simple things like panning even look worse than they did in cs3. Any, and I mean any graphics card released after 2008 would probably work good, aslong as its from nvidia or ati. Dont trust intels onboards to supply you with good quality anymore.

3d will ask for lots more. The best thing to do is go to the site of the program you'll be using then check their requirements for cards and go to competing program sites and look for the cards which keep on appearing on all the sites. That way you'll have some sort of garantee they'll work well.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.