Thanks
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 479 Posts

Icon IDW #84: Destructibles

IDW #84: Destructibles

Topic: Destructibles

Background: While weapons and tanks and super start destroyers are all cool things to have to design and draw, they are usually outnumbered by the amount of less 'cool' things that need to go into a game or movie. If you've ever played a FPS game (or any other for that matter) you've probably fired countless shots at it already without paying it much attention.

Destructibles in this brief is simple: any object in a game or movie that makes up and fills out the environment and is not actively part of the AI. It does not shoot lasers of itself, but it might just explode if you hit it or reveal a health bonus or gun if destroyed. Think of crates, oildrums, tables, chairs, coffeemachines, roadsigns...the list is practically endless.

While seemingly less rock 'n roll than the spaceships and tanks mentioned earlier, these objects still have an important role to play in the game or movie they're in: they help build a believable atmosphere and setting, and support and strenghten the players or viewers experience while playing/watching. They can be destroyed, moved around or you can hide behind them, just as in the real world.

The challenge for this topic, since it'll go on for two weeks: pick a setting (this might be an existing game or movie or something you come up with yourself) and find a few destructibles that could go in there. Design at least 3 destructibles and present them from at least 2 different point of views each. Also, specify the material, color and texture of each component of the object in the final presentation.

Put all of your designs and drawings together in one image and post your finals in this thread please.

Brief:
    1. Design and draw 3 Destructibles!
    2. A minimum of 3 Destructibles is required, plus multiple views of each.
    3. Define color, material and texture for the destructibles.
    4. That's it... now draw!

Deadline: Monday, November 24

Name:  IDW logo3 smallest.JPG
Views: 2304
Size:  7.9 KB

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    sweeeeet topic, just one questionL: Do you want the destructbles displayed in an evnrioment of presented as themself? Sorry if this has already been stated in the brief but i'm just checking.

Thanks
    This one feels like a real design brief. Simple but very important, i like
    Its also ideal as i can spend an hour or so doing a crate and go to bed, then do another one later in the week. With full vehicle or machine designs i tend to stay up for hours and hours. Not good for a trainee teacher.

**EDIT** I should mention, this is by no means a guarantee of seeing anything from me. could be a stressful week ahead
    Last edited by Maieth; November 9th, 2008 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks
    also known as "props" im out of town for the next 10 days... godspeed you all!

Thanks
    should we ilustrate the way in which our item will be destructible, by key frames/ or this not neccessary

Thanks
    sounds pretty boring/shallow to me

Thanks
    Well that all depends on how far you take it.
    If you feel like creating some dull destructibles, go for it.
    it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

Thanks

Wink

Heh... we had a little fun with a destructible a while back during Dominance War III: http://dominancecrate.blogspot.com/

I'll try to get something in here but I'm moving to a new apt this month, might not be easy.

Thanks
    Great topic! was going to write in to suggest such a topic, but you beat me to it Yoitsi. I'm glad we get more than a week - I'm excited to join in on this one...
    The spotlight never seems to fall on well designed props - what a nice change!

Teh Gosu: don't be so quick to judge -- the fact is, games have way more time allocated to environment and prop creation than to hero characters. At work I spend quite a bit of time doing prop sheets and paintovers -- the real bread and butter of environment art.
    Last edited by vantrum; November 23rd, 2008 at 11:40 PM.
    Drawing is fun.

www.mattkohr.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 674 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Gosu View Post
    I can tell you never shot the top off an acetylene cylinder before, not that I'd recommend it.pld:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh Gosu View Post
    dont get into video game art then.... chances are you will have to do a ton of crates, barrels, piles of sandbags, piles of bricks, and concrete barriers before you get moved up into creating the lead characters.

neways.... ill be in on this... or try to at least. first idw
    sketchbook

looking for work! pm me

blog!

Thanks
    might i suggest for this topic increasing the final sheet size limit. The final result will be at least 6-9 annotated images which could result in the images all ending up pretty thumbnaily in size...

Thanks
    if you look at paul richard's (autodestruct) website, he has a crap load of props and they all look awesome and well designed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vantrum View Post
    ...the real bread and butter of environment art.
    Exactly. It's something that will actually look good in your portfolio if you can manage to pull those things off, since they're way more common in games than any hero character or other special things. Also, a simple challenge you could put yourself to is to pick a game or movie and pick an object in your room or neighbourhood, and make them fit together in style and design. Or, how can you make a 'simple' parkbench look awesome? It's not just the bread and butter, it could be the whole sandwich of fun if you challenge yourself.

As for the designsheet, I think I'd take entries with two seperate sheets as well as long as people keep it reasonable.

Btw, New Zealand is awesome, wish you could all be here

Thanks
    I can tell you from experience that in every single game I've worked on (6 shipped, 3 or 4 not shipped) I have had to design/concept AT LEAST one crate and one barrel per game - no matter what type of game world it is. Somehow there's always some place that needs crates:

Mafia game: warehouse, shipping docks, hospital, auto body shop; storage crates, cargo crates, medical equipment boxes, paint barrels etc.

Pirate game: cargo crates, water barrels, exploding gunpowder barrels.

Sci-fi comic book game: military, alien and science research lab; ammo and shipping crates, fuel barrels, chemical storage tanks, mining cargo crates, "energy barrels," wall-mounted chemical storage tanks.

It's kind of a running joke between all the game artists I know. Crates, barrels, and for some reason there's always some kind of "crystal cave" level...

Thanks

heres a couple sketches from last night, not much now but an idea. trying to go for the halo look. btw that autodestruct site, nice shit

Thanks
    thanks for the reactions.. this weekend i bought fable (for 7 euro ) and when i played i realized that indeed its all the little things that make the world alive and thats the main purpose of props. so i kinda repent what i said. just drawing a barrel and a box is very generic thats what i mean. so i think its good to know what context yur design will have, so you know that it has to look creepy/mysterious/alien/happy/cosy/etc.... and keep that as your main 'direction' the prop has to carry out. as ian mcaig said in his dvd, its allll about context.

Thanks
    Now, I don't create destructible items per se, but right now I'm a prop and environment concept artist for an MMO, so I'll see if I can't design some explodables and smash...ables for this one.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,766 Times in 648 Posts
    It says "Monday November 24th" right on the first post...

Thanks
    Oh yeah...

[edit] Lots of schoolwork, haven't worked on the destructibles. Feel like I'm making excuses, ugh. Can I please have an extension?
    Last edited by Max Challie; November 23rd, 2008 at 04:24 AM.

Thanks
    Well here we go, 1st industrial in the same week (roughly) as my first CoW; my end-of-year resolution seems to be going quite nicely so far... (the EoW's looking a bit shaky at the moment though, I will admit).

So this was partly an exercise in rendering from my point of view, and I'll admit I could've been a little more imaginative but I just really wanted to draw a fire extinguisher. (Very limited ref so I was pretty happy with that).
    Had a lot of fun, anyway.
    Went for a very slightly steampunk-influenced thing... Or, at least, made all the metal (mostly) brass, which is a step.

Comments + crits much appreciated, though without an extension there'll be no time for tweaks I don't think... Anyway.
    it occurs to me that both my emotions and reactions are ill-placed.

Thanks
    I'm back from NZ, though still a bit jetlagged at the moment. I'm not planning on giving this round an extension, as two weeks should be more than enough for everyone. There's surprisingly little entries though

Mr--Jack: Awesome, exactly the result I wanted to see for this round. I actually like the fire extinguisher because it has just enough unique details that make it fit with the rest. If anything, I'd say that several things in the first medical machine don't line up properly. The design is cool, but for example the front cover is wider than the brass cap on top (while it seems to me that they should both be just as wide). The arm coming out seems to be on the outside of the machine in the left drawing while in the middle rendering it seems to come out more in the middle of the machine.

Thanks
    Mr jack-- looks good!

Here's my progress -- it's been a busy week with work and Left 4 dead, but I'll be done by the end of the day. Finally I get to do some personal work!

Setting: Sci-fi Spaceship

Console, Chair, Weapon compartment
    Last edited by vantrum; November 23rd, 2008 at 11:41 PM.
    Drawing is fun.

www.mattkohr.com

Thanks
    Mr--Jack and vantrum - great entries, very well rendered and designed.

...so here's mine, I made a drawing of the setting too, because my destructibles alone were too boring. In the future I definitely need to put more time in designing and making objects more interesting and original.

Setting - Factory's boiler room

and the objects:
    1. crate
    2. oildrum
    3. old and dirty mattress on which the person who looks after the boilers likes to nap.

Thanks
    wow, not many entries here this week, but what there is is top quality...its great to see such different takes on the same brief.

here is my own offering...

setting: warzone in a cathedral

objects: tomb, font, organ

Thanks
    I found out I have to work all day today while my sleeping pattern is still a bit messed up, so I won't be able to put up the poll for at least 10 hours from now. There's also the poll from the previous round to be taken care of, but I'll promise I'll get to it as soon as possible.

Thanks
    Time to close this round, poll will be up soon.

Edit: Poll is up, check it out: IDW #84: Destructibles
    Last edited by yoitisi; November 25th, 2008 at 07:38 PM.