Thanks

Need help for short animation film

Hello everyone.

I've started developing an animated short film (about ten minutes) with a friend of mine, we both work on the plot, I do the drawing and he works on the sound.

I have in mind to be done with this in about a year. So far we have an elaborate plot, a storyboard and some concept designs. Now a big question has come up. Which animation program should I use? I've tried out animating in Photoshop, which is a pain, the free program "pencil", which is nice, but has some issues (especially with brushes and general usability) and the trial version of toon boom studio, which has only vector based brushes (no opacity control!).

I am attaching a first animation test (Photoshop) of the main character, so you have an idea of what I'm talking about. Do you know any program which has this kind of brushes (also layers and a timeline would be nice ) ?

Thanks a lot for your help.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Would it be correct that you are looking to do a cell style animation, no 3D applications?

Thanks
    Exactly. I'm looking for a 2d animation program which is pixel oriented like photoshop (and therefore also has brushes with opacity controlled by pen pressure), a timeline and layers. That's it. I've tried out plastic animation paper, which would be 99 euros !without! even a zoom feature. I'd have to pay over 600 euros to have that essential feature included (and then I'll only be able to draw the linework, no coloring possible! - I'd still need yet another software for that).... At the moment I'm thinking of doing it simply in Flash, but I want to hear your suggestions first if you have any. Thanks a lot.
    Last edited by saa; November 8th, 2008 at 05:45 AM.