Marijuana and Art

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Marijuana and Art

I find that marijuana can really stimulate my creativity and make drawing/painting a whole new experience (at times) but like everything in life, its better in moderation than when over used.

Or at least thats my take on the plants usage.

What do you think? Do you find it a positive or negative influence on your artwork?

(If this topic is out of line or violates the rules please let me know how to delete it asap)

Thanks

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    I've always wanted to try smoking pot while drawing..
    But alas.. I'm a starving artist who can't even afford food.
    And pot isn't cheap.

I do know that drinking while drawing only makes things worse. At least in my case.
    Drinking in general makes my head all fuzzy and "thick" and I can't look at one place for longer than a second.

I have trouble concentrating as it is.

"Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."

Personally, I've never taken marijuana or tried drawing while under the influence of anything else, so I can't really say much about this from personal experience.

However, I know we had a thread about this a little while ago. I wish I could find it. I think that the general conclusion was that a person thinks differently and comes up different ideas while under the influence, but it's no substitute for creativity and not really something to try and replace it with. Also, it messes with your motor skills, so it's harder to draw well. That's what I remember from it anyway. I'm pretty sure someone will come up with a link eventually.

Can normally do with a guzzle of sloe gin before work, clears the mind and improves determination to paint sometimes! There's no point getting blind drunk before work though .

My tutor used to drink neat gin with his work, and once took a gulp of turps by mistake... is their a difference I wonder??

Unfortunately, like has been said, you can't come to rely on something to work - there was no crop of sloe berries this year, so here I am in the cold of Autumn with no sloe gin, I can't stop working though...

Just like anything else, it can be an excuse and a crutch. I had a buddy (incredibly talented) who swore up and down his creativity went up when he was stoned.

The only thing that actually happened is he didn't finish some commission work, and was never hired in the area again. Pity, because he's amazing.

MiniGoth: I kind of agree; I have seen friends of mine waste their talent and just get lazy about their artwork from smoking pot.

I used to smoke more than I do now and I noticed I was falling into that trap a while ago.

But still, there are days when its fun to smoke and draw in the park. Usually i'll just practice on days like these, but I have created some pretty cool and unique artwork on occasion.

(as I mentioned) it is only worthwhile, for myself, on occasion and in moderation.

I find that too much and your to hazy to focus much, but in moderation it serves as a good get up and go. It has no effect on the creativeness for me just makes it a lot easy to sit down and start.
    PS. magic mushrooms can lead to some strange and flowing artwork! don't ask how i know

The greatest reward for me is when people look at my stuff and feel inspired enough to help me learn by harsh critiques, they will never fall on deaf or defensive ears and will be applied post haste! thanks in advance!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=134240

Doesn't marijuana help your "minds eye" (might be cannabis) but if it does it means you can bring up images infront of you like an hallucination so it would defiantly help you. Like tracing over your imagination.

But you can get drugs that do that with-out the side effects. And possibly cheaper, because they aren't illegal.

Kiera: Im kind of jealous. Where do you live? Here in Denver, its almost legal (its a 17$ fine if you have less than an ounce on you).

I think I miswrote when I said that it stimulates creativity. But I do think it can make drawing/art fun and a new experience at times. Thats more or less what I was thinking, but as many artists know, words are not always the best way to elucidate ideas.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Bear View Post
    Kiera: Im kind of jealous. Where do you live? Here in Denver, its almost legal (its a 17$ fine if you have less than an ounce on you).
    $17 fine where did you pull that out of?

http://norml.org/index.cfm?wtm_view=&Group_ID=4526

Caffeine is the best thing if you want to stimulate your creativity. Drink a cup or two of your favorite java and you will be buzzing with energy, and your neurons in your brain will be firing on and off like a Christmas tree. Also, get adequate sleep and rest.

You don't need pot or drugs...you are better off sniffing the fumes from your paint. Drugs damage your brain over time. I have known too many people who used drugs for so long that they can barely function.

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

DeadlyFreeze: Thats weird- I live here in Denver and friends of mine have been caught smoking joints and they received tickets for 17$ (actually, most of the time people are let go with a warning, unless your smoking out of a bong or some massive piece)... so I'm not sure what to tell you. The legal system is all screwy anyway: its technically legal in Denver (if your over 21) to have less than an once on you, but in the US its still illegal.

You should come to Denver and see for yourself, I assure you I am entirely serious.

(EDIT: it seems that the NORML site does not take into account that the laws in Denver and Colorado are different. (Its less legal outside of Denver) ...Haha its so bizarre how these things are.

Mad Cross: Marijuana is a plant. Caffeine is a drug too, just worse for you.

Art and kindness are my weapons of choice.

My Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cross View Post
    Caffeine is the best thing if you want to stimulate your creativity. Drink a cup or two of your favorite java and you will be buzzing with energy, and your neurons in your brain will be firing on and off like a Christmas tree. Also, get adequate sleep and rest.

You don't need pot or drugs...you are better off sniffing the fumes from your paint. Drugs damage your brain over time. I have known too many people who used drugs for so long that they can barely function.
    Might want to read that back.

Think about it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Bear View Post
    Mad Cross: Marijuana is a plant.
    Yup. So is hemlock.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cross

Quote Originally Posted by Buddha Bear
    Caffeine is a drug too
    Uh...

(does a face palm)

-Mike Cross

-Also on FB and Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Cross View Post
    Yup. So is hemlock.

Uh...

(does a face palm)
    There are a lot of coffee addicts out there who have developed a tolerance for caffeine. However, I don't drink coffee very much at all, so when I do drink it, it hits me hard...

Nothing makes you realise that caffeine is a drug, and a shitty one at that, when you're trembling like mad, sick to your stomach, and have a massive headache afterwards.

It's not good for your nervous system, or your heart. It's addicting. It's a drug, and not a particularly helpful one.

Waste of time.

Last edited by Flake; November 7th, 2008 at 06:40 AM.

Nope. It's your body, do whatever you like. Peace.

-Mike Cross

-Also on FB and Twitter

Mad Cross: (Im not trying to be a jerk, but) You should work on your communication skills. Somehow you managed to get into an argument without having any opponents.

My Sketchbook

Attached Images Attached Images  

i do quite alot of drawing when im high, it doesn't make you better, but i find i approach things abit differently, i'm always much looser and more confident. you also come to some conclusions that you never thought about before, guess it's just the change in thought.

The only time I "unconciously" grab a pen or pencil to draw is when I'm stoooned. And I actually have fun drawing lol. Where as sober I get distracted really easy from drawing, or just get bored. Getting high actually makes me really focused on what I'm doing - I get really into. When I'm sober I feel completely scatterbrained with too many thoughts to maintain emersion on what ever it is I'm doin... But multitasking is completely out of the question hah!

The only time I "unconciously" grab a pen or pencil to draw is when I'm stoooned. And I actually have fun drawing lol. Where as sober I get distracted really easy from drawing, or just get bored. Getting high actually makes me really focused on what I'm doing - I get really into. When I'm sober I feel completely scatterbrained with too many thoughts to maintain emersion on what ever it is I'm doin... But multitasking is completely out of the question hah!
    Good luck finding a concept art job where they let you toke it up in the office

eh heh.....this thread is kinda' awkward.
    clearly, ya'll haven't seen this

KrazyKasey: That is the most hilarious cartoon I have seen in a while. Thanks for posting it!

Kman: Do professional concept artists work in offices? I am not entirely sure, but from what I understand they would be creating the artwork alone (or at least not required to stay in any particular area) besides certain sessions where they are working with their employers.

My Sketchbook

Quote Originally Posted by Kman. View Post
    Good luck finding a concept art job where they let you toke it up in the office
    Heh - I only draw as a hobby though and I don't smoke much really.

I find smoking makes drawing more fun and interesting but I question if I am really any better. If I get too high I just can't be bothered with drawing and would rather listen to music or watch hulu. I think just a few puffs and maybe a drink is enough to make me feel good and still enable me to work. I think too when I am sober I am more comfortable drawing something ambitious. If I am high I like to do easier drawings but I am more patient with them.

I believe it is probably good to smoke and draw occasionally because it helps me see things from a different perspective but I make it the exception instead of the norm.

They say also if you study drunk or stoned to test in the same state. I wouldn't want my drawing to be continually tied up with being fucked up.

It would be interesting to compare the drug habits of famous artists. I think Van Gogh drank Absinthe.

Yay for asthmatic artists like myself! I can barely breath clean air let alone some strange atomized substance!

Oh maybe this is a good place to put this. Has anyone tried using Binaural Beats for recreational purposes? This place I-Doser sells them to use (though you can download them for free on the web) and swears they mimic the effects of drugs. I've tried a bunch of them (including ones that they put warnings on because they say they're too strong) and I haven't once felt high nor tripped from them. It's pretty cool music though. It makes me sleepy and I've had a weird feeling that I'm like falling backwards when listening to them. I found out about it when researching techniques for lucid dreaming BTW. Many people use Binaural Beats to induce lucid dreaming.

To Jake^
    I tried it and it is pretty silly. It just makes me really relaxed, sort of like meditating. You need to have headphones on, and have good patience. The smallest one did the most to me, as I couldn't be assed with the half hour ones as I got too incredibly bored.
    Placebo effect, definitely.
    And I tried a lucid dreaming one, but I fell asleep a few minutes in. haha
    And as for it being cool music, I personally don't love listening to weird white noise lol.
    So yeah, I tried a few of them, but it is pointless. I would much rather have a few whiskys to be honest.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.