Plan to make an acrylic painting ON WATERCOLOR PAPER, and finish it with oil.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Plan to make an acrylic painting ON WATERCOLOR PAPER, and finish it with oil.

Ok, I'm aware of the technique of painting acrylic on illustration board to take advantage of its quickness, using spray fixative on it (I think), and then oil painting over it to take advantage of the medium's refined blending.

I have a slightly different plan. I want to make a watercolor-like acrlyic painting on 300lb watercolor paper, then somehow fix it, and then oil paint over it. But I want to be aware of any problems that might arise out of this combination.

It seems that paper is always gesso'd if it's going to accept oil. Obviously, I don't want to cover up my acrylic underpainting.
    Perhaps clear gesso would work? Would I have to somehow dry-mount the paper?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    DO NOT--repeat--DO NOT use spray fix between the layers. NEVER. PERIOD. Anyone who tells you to do this is a moron--I don't care who or how important/professional they think they are.

Acrylic is fine as a base for oils as long as you don't have a heavy acrylic impasto in a flexible base. If so, the oils will tend to crack a bit because they won't "bend" when the heavy acrylic does.

One problem that may pop up is that acrylic is porous, which is why it makes a great surface for oils, BUT...the same porosity may allow the oil to bleed through and damage the paper. That's why most people gesso the paper. Anything you add between the acrylic paint and the oils is dangerous or unnecessary. It's the oil getting to the paper that's the problem.

If you're working mostly with washes of both, and there's a decent amount of medium in the acrylic layer, there shouldn't be any major problem.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Acrylic PAINT isn't porous unless you dilute it too much, but acrylic "gesso" is because there are solids added to give tooth for paint adhesion. Gesso on paper as an oil preparation isn't really necessary IF the paper is properly sized first. The acrylic medium in the primer can function as a size if you use several coats, or you could just use a couple coats of acrylic medium.

David B. Clemons
    Website
    Blog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,476 Times in 469 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    my recommendation if you plan to keep the acrylics thin would be to start with a thin gesso base (thin enough that there should be no noticeable brush strokes), then do your acrylics, then apply your oils. This is my regular process (my underpaintings are acrylic) and I quite like it.

"Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DB', I checked my old samples and discovered my notes say you're right. Acrylics are porous only when they're thinned with water. Acrylics ARE "soft" at room temperature, though, so dirt and crap that collects on them or touches them over a period of time at room temperature can result in the acrylic sometimes "surrounding" the intruding particles, or absorbing it, especially at warmish temperatures.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    She said "watercolor-like with acrylics". I assume she means she want to dilute the acrylic paint to a watery mix like watercolors. From what Ilaekae is saying, it doesn't look like it would work unless you are putting acrylic on a little thick (undiluted) to seal the paper. Right?

-Mike Cross

Sculpting Thread|My Website| DeviantArt |My Blog
    -Also on FB and Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, acrylics can take a fair amount of "thinning, but if it's MOSTLY beyond maybe 50% as it sounds here, I'd dilute the color first with a fair amount of matte medium, then water from there. Liquitex makes a gazing compound medium, but i don't know if it's glossy or matte.

The real danger with thinning too much is that the surface is easily abraded. If most of the original surface is going to be covered with something else, that wouldn't necessarily be a big deal, but it DOES bring us back to the "porous" acrylic problem...

I have old life studies (40+ years) on a white pad paper that's moderately porous, and the areas where I really whacked the paint with water are holding up well under rubbing, so porosity of the base has some effect.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,675 Times in 5,021 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Zirngibism, you'll be fine. Start as you planned on the unprimed paper, develop the painting as far as you want with the acrylic washes, then give it a bunch of coats of acrylic matte medium (slightly thinned down so you don't get brush strokes, at least three or four coats to be safe). Then go in with the oils. "Clear gesso" is just acrylic medium with marble dust or another inert pigment added for tooth, and will cloud things up much more than the matte medium.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.