Sketchbook: ...the Tome of ghūl...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

...the Tome of ghūl...

Just wanted to post some work for general feed back and critiques..I am currently in AAU and will post my on going work during my school year.

As for this duda..I am planning on creating a character sheet so I will be posting more images of him, for some reason the name Ragnarok keeps coming up, even though he does not obviously fit the myth/story of the real Rag. And the background is not set in stone I just needed to create something to validate the light sources. Cheers!!

Name:  thumb.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  3.6 KB

Last edited by ghūl; November 5th, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
    Mohandas Karamachand Gandhi - "An ounce of practice is worth more then tons of preaching."

Blog
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Overall I really like the piece in terms of appeal, lighting, color, and composition. The left lobster-claw appears a little ambiguous, maybe it needs a better overall silhouette.

The light part of the sky appears a little too pushed back, it conflicts a little with the underside of the character. Then again, Im not really sure how to solve it, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how it should look, or if its even wrong.

Overall this piece is pretty cool appeal-wise, I really get that sense of beastliness and doom with the pose, expressions, and features in the character and environment. Great work.

(Im not a professional yet in any sense of the word, this is just my view of it haha)

Bake's sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=130899

If you can do it, you can draw it. If you can't, you can draw it

GO UCF!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bakerman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks allot Bakerman, yeah I still plan to tweak the background a bit more. Had to hand it in today for a critique n such. Went well and the instructor confirmed your comment about adding more detail to the left claw or the claws in general. I am generally happy with it, enough watch the elections last night and sleep. So as always one could always go back and improve it. I will post an update soon. On to the next project...alien family...

Mohandas Karamachand Gandhi - "An ounce of practice is worth more then tons of preaching."

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice creature design.
    i do however agree with Bakerman on the composition. for one, i feel that positioning the horizon smack bang in the middle, takes away some of the appeal (when it comes to positioning something like the horizon, try to avoid the centre as it somewhat "splits" the image, especially when its impact is strong like in urs).
    IMO, that horizon point doesnt mix well with the character coz they too close and can get confusing (maybe move that point to the left of the character).
    btw im no pro, but i hope this helps somewhat

but good stuff.

Check out my SKETCHBOOK ...looking for helpful advice!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gkrit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    some updates from my class work, natural media charcoal. I will add more later, just need to digest some turkey.

some personal work and a side and front profile of my last character that was posted

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what seems to be a light sketch, I guess I needed to adjust some of the settings of the scanner in lab but hunger was the main issue. Its a WIP for the Death Knight challenge over at Game Artisans site. I know I need to scale her head a bit larger to fit her body, figured I can do that in PS once I get back to lab. Will post more thanks for browsing..

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is really really good. What medium do you spend more time in, graphite or digital? I am trying to get up enough courage, and time, to work more digitally.
    Keep them coming.

My time behind the pencil and more

http://s25.photobucket.com/albums/c81/johnnyhotrod/

10. The Following User Says Thank You to johnnyhotrod For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the kind comments johnny, I have more experience in digital medium, I am currently going to the Academy of Art for Illustration so graphite, which is not new to me, has regained my attention once more. Always a learning process you know. Here is just a little update, I had to do some reference gathering for a current project in school so I was not able to get most of the color down for this piece, anyway will post more stuff, cheers!!

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    er....cant sleep so I am just playing around with good ole PS...
    ok one more try...night night

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the first drape study looks is awesome. the second could use a little more contrast (dark!!). nice sb, I'll keep an eye on it!

cheers

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Kfeeras For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Kfeeras for the comments, funny was that my instructor thought the opposite, I would have to agree with you though. I will post some updates of some of my personal work I have up but my class assignment takes precedence since I have no comp and rely on labs. Here is just a WIP theme: Utopia/Dystopia, cheers!!

Blog

kidult is offline Does this sketch make my ass look fat? Level 12 Gladiator: Laqueatores
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool stuffs, dig the charcoals. Maybe try some hues in your pics, you have good form rendering skills but you could do with some more colours. just try an overlay layer and splash some colour down to see want happens!
    keep up the good work!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to kidult For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the comments kidult, I will definitely add some colors, vibrant ones at that. So here is just a WIP for one of my classes, will post more updates and some pages from my sketchbook. Thanks for dropping by.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks great, your stuff...
    your einstein piece looks nice too, but his eyes have two different sizes.
    your shading is really nice!

see ya!

cgHub
    Facebook
    DA

Sketchbook

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Timmi-o-Tool For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for pointing that out Timmi, its good to have fresh eyes look at a piece you've been working at. They always can catch something one may have missed.

Here is an update of that last piece, still needs some work, more details to the foreground buildings, maybe add some more color but not too much were it will distract the viewer. As for my plan for the large building, the one that is shown is just a stand in for now. I am working on some concepts for the Dark Structure, with some influences of Wayne Barlowe's work I will make it seem very hellish/demonesque as if the structure has risen from the depths and has brought forth this distruction/dystopia to this earth.

As for the rooftop at the bottom left corner, a group of "heroes," gather and gaze upon the present task at hand, venturing forth into the unknown..

actually just blabbing on now, it's whats going on in my head at the moment while I am working on this, cheers!

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok..so I did'nt get to do what I had in mind with this, but with time constraints...due tomorrow I had to put this together. I do like the background some things I would definitely go back and fix/add more on my own time. Any suggestions would help I can tweak it a bit more before class. On that note goodnight.

Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

haven't updated in awhile, figured I would during this break. Heres some school work and the last one was some playtime with Alchemy.

I have some pictures of some sculptures I did, first time and would like some feed back, I will post them in a bit when I find my camera...cheers!!

Attached Images Attached Images                      

Blog

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.