SUPER Stylised Challenge - November 2008 - Butcher
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Welcome to the SUPER Stylised Monthly Challenge – Sponsored by 3DTotal.com and 2DArtist Magazine. Please post all images & questions in this thread.

So what is this challenge all about?
    Each month we will select a title for the Super Stylised Challenge, and we'll post some images for you to use as reference. The title is there to be interpreted as and how you wish. All you have to do then is to think up your concept, paint it, and create a final 2D image of this in your own way!

This regular monthly challenge is designed to bring in some great content for 2DArtist Magazine – in the form of final images from the Top Ten and Making Ofs from the top 3 winners – as well as some great prizes and exposure just for you!

What are we looking for?
    Funny and humorous entries which interpret the title of the Super Stylised Challenge however you see fit. We’re pretty much leaving everything open for your interpretation and stylisation!! All we ask is that the title of the Super Stylised Challange is instantly recognisable in your final image! All you have to do then is to render your stylised/abstract/cartoon masterpiece and you’re away!

What are the timeframes and requirements?
    The rules are pretty laid back: please submit 1 x 2D Final Image. If you want to have a background or include some graphical elements or text on your image, it's entirely up to you. Image posts should be around 800 pixels across, but please work at a much higher res as the top 10 will be featured in 2DArtist Magazine and we'd like the winner's image to be used as the article cover!

There will be 1 challenge per month, with the deadline being the end of the month GMT. A 'VOTING' thread will be created at the end of the month.

For a valid entry, you must make sure your final image is posted in both the WIP thread before the end of the month - 31st November 11:59PM GMT - and then in the 'VOTING' thread before the 8th December 2008. Voting will take place from the 8th December to the 15th December 2008, when the winners will be announced!

We require the top 3 winners to submit 'Making Of' overview articles that will be shown on either 3DTotal or in 2DArtist Magazine ; these need to show the stages of your creation, different elements and some brief explanation text of why, and how, you did what you did. We will format this into some nice-looking pages to give you some great exposure, and us some quality content. This will serve as some great exposure for you which, along with your prizes, is a pretty cool incentive to get involved!

Everyone has to post their FINAL image in the WIP thread before the end of the month deadline (31st November 11:59PM GMT), as well as their WIPs during the month. You then have to post it (exactly the same final image) again in the VOTING thread. This means there is a very clear deadline: no-one can work after the end of the month and the VOTING thread still exists as before, as this is a nice clean thread with final images only which is used for the judging!

Posting Works in Progress
    Each challenge will have one thread that starts with this info and the brief at the top. This is where all entrants post all WIPs, give feedback, and generally laugh at the crazy ideas that are emerging each month!

Please don't start any new threads – just reply to this one already set up!

Prizes!!
    1st Place Any 3 items from the 3DTotal Shop. We sell lots of items these days, such as our book , Design Studio Press books, textureCDs, Shorts DVDs, lots of training DVDs, and 12 month subscriptions to 2DArtist Magazine and 2DArtist Magazine .

2nd Place
    Any 2 items from the 3DTotal Shop.

3rd Place
    Any 1 item from the 3DTotal Shop.

We do unfortunately have to limit prizes to 1 book per winner per challenge, due to high postage costs for heavier items. Please note that we cannot offer the 3D Printed models as prizes!

Judging
    New Voting Rules and Restrictions
    1. In order for your vote to be valid, your post count must be 50 or above AND you must have been registered on the ConceptArt.org forums for at least 6 months. The ONLY exception to this rule is if you have contributed an entry yourself to the challenge.
    2. If you want to vote but are not a contributor of the challenge, you need to have been registered on the Threedy Forums for at least the last six months, AS WELL AS have 50 posts already to your name.
    3. It goes without saying that all voters MUST look through each of the entries before posting their score.
    4. Finally, don't vote for yourself ot get your friends to vote for you in an attempt to influence votes, it's not an attractive quality.
    5. The 3DTotal team are all able to vote from their CA.org accounts some of us have fewer than 50 posts but we know who we are!

We will award 3pts for a 1st place vote, 2 for 2nd and 1 for 3rd. Then we will add them up and ship out your prizes!

This month we have chosen Butcher!

İiStockphoto.com

Here is a selection of Images from a simple Google search to give you some good references for this month’s brief!
    Butcher 01
    Butcher 02
    Butcher 03
    Butcher 04
    Butcher 05
    Butcher 06
    Butcher 07
    Butcher 08
    Butcher 09
    Butcher 10

Please don't start new threads: all design sketches, WIPs, feedback should go in this thread! Final Images should be posted in the 'VOTING' thread, which will be created at the end of the month.

Enjoy!

Lynette - 2DArtist

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by miss.lynette; November 17th, 2008 at 08:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never participated in any of this before. This sounds fun!
    Please tell me if I'm doing something wrong!
    Quick sketch.

EDIT: I hope I'm not taking up too much space. If I am, just tell me and I'll try and shrink the pics. Ok, worked on her a little more.

Last edited by MJ_Alcazar; November 23rd, 2008 at 11:05 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooh, I have a cool idea, now for some sketches. Hopefully I manage my time better this month.

Max Martelli
    Illustration/Fine Art
    max@maxmartelli.com
    http://www.maxmartelli.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whipped this one up today.
    Name:  Butcher_web1_J.jpg
Views: 2360
Size:  51.5 KB

made some changes, made his hand and back boot a bit clearer.

Name:  Butcher_web2_J.jpg
Views: 2274
Size:  50.1 KB

Here's some WIP silhouettes

Name:  Butcher_sil_J.jpg
Views: 1426
Size:  24.1 KB

And The final:

Name:  ButcherFINAL_J.jpg
Views: 1429
Size:  96.1 KB

J

Last edited by J; November 30th, 2008 at 04:38 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great starts! this certainly isn't a topic for vegetarians is it? it's pretty gruesome from most of the Google images i found yesterday... poor animals; greedy humans... looking forward to seeing more from everyone real soon - keep up the great work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Actually, that was one of my initial ideas when I saw the new topic. A butcher with some vegetables on display and a diagram of a carrot or something in the background. Either that or a pig/cow with a butcher knife and a guys head or arm in his hand.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello all! I'm very new to the website here so here but am looking forward to participating in community activities! Here's my WIP idea! CLEAVAH!

Edit: Coloration and change to pose and clothing.. (removal?) His pants are BLUE!!!!

Edit2: 3rd image is more towards complete... just need eyes, some more shading and a background!

Last edited by Ave101; November 14th, 2008 at 11:16 PM. Reason: Update2! blood and hair!!!
    I LOVE CRITIQUES

KAH-BOOOOOM!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do we post our WIPs on this thread itself or on the general WIP thread? Same goes with the finished artwork. here or there?

sorry,, just a little confused cos i didn't see the scarecrow drawings (october) on the general WIP thread.

thanks..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ozzymaru Wips are posted here and a final thread will be up at the end of the month

Ice cold no mistakes
    Sketchs from my Icebox

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still need to finish shading and add backround but i like it so far

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm, meat is sexy!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow Butcher

Well, my first sketch.. Maybe I will come up with something different.. But thats a start for now:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cow

this is my sketch... lets see waths comes up...
    Name:  wip 1.jpg
Views: 1649
Size:  51.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi guys... i did'nt had the time to finish the in the last comp. but this time i will. i do hope to get help from you guys as i really want to improve my 2d skills. here's my initial sketch. please feel free to comment. thanks and hope you guys like it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sikcnezzz

I have a problem jejeje

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Reply to Nocturn

Hi Nocturn,

I don't profess to be any expert, as there are many on here who are quite talented. However, I have had a bit of technical experience, and thought I'd venture to help you out.

I really like your style - I'd capitalize on your hand illustration as one method. You can either sketch your concept out, trace over it with ink, and then scan in, or you can shade (with dark pencil lines) and scan in. Both hand inking and hand penciling lend a gritty tone to your illustration, with the pencil being more so. Upon scanning in, you can create a seperate layer in photoshop and turn this layer to liner dodge or overlay (not sure on this one without opening up and checking). By creating a layer under your sketch layer, you can color and shade with various blur methods or brush tools.

Another nice method is to ink and bring into illustrator, and use the auto tracer to convert. You can then color in illustrator, and bring into photoshop for various effects. Or, you can hand trace in illustrator over your sketch guide (which creates a much more precise image).

Hope this helps.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dreygus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red and Blue

This is my entry for this month. Yeah, there's a subtle message there, which I found intruiging. Included inked sketch, illustrator work, and then slight photoshop manipulation for final image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dreygus: wow... thanks for the help dude... it really means so much. it really gives a boost with someone lending a helping hand. i don't know how to thank you more... thanks again. dude... oh, that entry of yours rocks... love the puppets...wonder who they'll be using those knives?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi there again everyone...such great works coming in... wish i had time to give comments to all. here's an update... added a pig... Oversized butcher, oversized butcher knife and undersized pig... will post other updates soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here another warm up from a photo..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MJ_Alcazar : it is indeed rare to see a female butcher and you nailed it... great idea.
    J : great style...love it
    Ave101's: hi there dude... it's nice to see someone new too! nice sketch you have there.
    Codeh!'s: lol, hilarious entry dude... great so far.
    rosatron: indeed it is dude. indeed it is
    brather: very nice sketches... both looking cool.
    Urih_pta2: i love the style... and the scene is looking good already.
    Dreygus': thanks so much for the help again dude...

Here's another wip... worked out the pig and some other stuff...hope you guys like it.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NOCTURN8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    there's my WIP, my idea is to show a surgeon like a butcher

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dreygus, do you know more about illustrator and how to trace lines? i tried it out on an old sketch and was taken aback, it looked totally kick ass!! so any other tricks up your sleeve?

Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

almost done

hi all!
    my butcher its almost done, now i need the backgrounds.
    the idea its to show the butcher as a fashion icon (i´ve never seen a clean and handsome butcher) and take the most disgusting of butchers to another field, absolutly different.
    i would love to know your opinions!
    Name:  wip 2.jpg
Views: 1432
Size:  299.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    liransz: wow, great updates...love the way it turned out... maybe you could add some audience(pigs maybe) in the BG, or some other butcher's far away modelling too. great work man!
    ruth2m: looking great in it's early stage... can't wait to see where this leads to.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to NOCTURN8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Response to Equality72521

Hey Equality,

One of the other methods I use in Illustrator is a little more labor intensive, but the results can very much be worth it. I'll often sketch out a rough, and then scan it in, or just use it as a visual reference as I create my work in illustrator. If you do scan it in, you can use the shape tool to create your basic square or circle. I'll then take the pen tool, and add anchors onto my shape to being directing (dragging) the anchor along the lines I've sketched out (you do this by using the direct selection tool - the white arrow - as it allows you to pull your anchors around.) The convert anchor tool allows for you to curve your anchors to your liking.

My back layer will be the black outline, and surrounds the overall shape of the subject matter. Layers upon this will be the detail works - shapes made up to be arms, legs, facial features, etc. Most of the time I'll leave my outlines with a visible color, such as red. Once I've completed all my line work, I'll then go in and color the layers with solids or gradients. You can create a nice shading effect without using gradients, just by building layers one atop the other of varying color shades.

If you choose, you can also bring your various layers into photoshop to create added shading, or lighting effects. This can be a pretty nice touch to your pieces to finish them off.

Hope this helps - I know sometimes its a bit difficult reading someones procedure for doing things, unless you can watch them do it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update:

added the pants, the shoes, and the shirt... i love working on layers in photoshop as it gives a more flexibility and control especially when it comes to correction. though some adjustments may not be available (like smudging in between layers) at the moment. default photoshop brushes are used. hope you guys like the updates.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello, this is my WIP version of the butcher, jeje, a hungry Cinderella, ambrienta, preparing a "party animal"

Last edited by freddydark; November 14th, 2008 at 09:54 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    freddydark: another solid entry.... really great work... i'm always astounded with your entry's.... especially in the scarecrow comp. Great work man!

here's my final... i'm kinda afraid i might not finish again... so i finish this one as early as i could.... Hope you guys like it and great works again everyone.

BUTCH the BUTCHER

33. The Following User Says Thank You to NOCTURN8 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a very good theme, I'm going on very happy playing with the blooooood jejeje salut and sorry for my english jeje

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.