Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts

Two Towers: Extended Edition

I just finished the extended edition of the Two Towers. All 243 minutes of it. I skipped a class just so I could come home early to watch it. I must say, they've improved in quite nicely. Even I, a Tolkien purist who wasn't particularly wowed by the theatrical version, was very pleased with it. They flesh out the plot and redeem Farimir's film character well enough for me to tollerate him. Anyone else seen it yet?

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I just bought the awesome gift set with the stellar Smeagol statue, and making of Smeagol artbook and DVD..

Have yet to watch the movie tho..tomorrow...

Thanks
    As much as it KILLS me to, I'm waiting until ALL three are released in a Collector's Edition (Widescreen) DVD Box Set. The retail on that, I'm guessing, will be around $200. Don't care about the cost just to have the movies!!
    To be nobody-but-yourself -- in a world which is doing its best, night and day, to make you everybody else -- means to fight the hardest battle which any human being can fight; and never stop fighting.

Thanks
    I must say they did a great job with this. There were parts that were originally left out that I missed (Fangorn forest at the end, for example) and just having those small little things there makes me appreciate the films much more.

You are right about Farimir too.. when I saw the movie last year I though "these changes aren't right". Now, what they did with him doesn't seem so bad.

Well I am off. Must see the extras

Good stuff!

Thanks
    i totally agree
    while i liked the theatrical version of 2 towers alot, this version just elevates the movie up with the first story wise...its simply amazing.
    HIGHLY reccommend you see it if you havent yet
    -------
    I wont fail now

Thanks
    Do you have to switch DVDs 4 times during the movie or are the other 3 discs just extra crap?

Seems like a good deal for 4dvds for like $25

Thanks
    The movie itself is partitioned in two halves on the first two disks. I remember finishing the first disk and Frodo had only just been captured by Faramir and The Rohan refugees hadn't even left Edoras. This is a LONG movie.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,218 Times in 254 Posts
    i was very impressed with the level of detail they show in the weapons/outfits and then include a whole MASSIVE section on conceptual sketches.

I really hope they take every single sketch and put out a 1000+ page plus book :p

Thanks
    My extended DVD arrived today, thank you amazon.

Guess what I'll do tonight?
    www.robertomarchesi.com

Thanks
    Originally posted by davi
    I really hope they take every single sketch and put out a 1000+ page plus book :p
    I think something like that would result in some kind of spiritual epiphany for any artist who looked at it.

I just watched "The Taming of Smeagol" in the appendices. That was pretty damn impressive! Not just on the part of the artists and animators but Andy Serkis who provided the voice, a great deal of motion capture data and even prompted the modelers to redesign Gollum's face based on his. I was very impressed by Gollum in general in that movie. I was afraid, especially since he's my favorate character, that they make some kind of abominable Jar-Jar Binks out of him. His character was far from that. He his screen presence was just as effective and valid as Frodo's.