What do YOU want to learn?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What do YOU want to learn?

Guys, Hello.
    Having been a freelance illustrator and concept artist for more than 10 years now, I'm asked often by people interested in the industry how I got into concept art and illustration, Where I studied and what’s it like as a job.

I'd like to fire a question back.

If you had the undivided attention of an experienced person who could teach you anything about the concept art industry, what would be the things you would want to learn about and what would be the top of the list?
    eg. Concept processes, Drawing skills, Rendering skills… etc.

feed back would be VERY welcome.
    CHEERS!

Warren Mahy
    www.mahystudio.com
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd rather have the person teach me about the concept process, for the simple reason that I could fairly easily find someone to teach more technical skills.

Last edited by Meloncov; November 2nd, 2008 at 11:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,556 Times in 607 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Skills would be #1. Process would be #2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    I'd rather have the person teach me about the concept process, for the simple reason that I could fairly easily find someone to teach more technical skills.

Cheers. Sort of what I thought. :0)

Warren Mahy
    www.mahystudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychotime View Post
    Skills would be #1. Process would be #2.
    I guess the best thing would be linking both togeather. Cheers

Warren Mahy
    www.mahystudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to learn how to maintain a flow of work, getting up early in the morning, start working non-stop... how does a freelance professional artist fight the "Resistance"? It is easier when you have office hours... but what happens when you're on your own?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great question. In my experiance, I think it helps if previously you've worked in a regular job with a set schedule, 8am - 5pm or what ever, as long as you've gotten used to getting to work on time and doing a solid day. The fact that most of us work from home at our own pace is great, but we still need to be productive and work efficiently. If you can, I'd suggest you have a separate room for work and only go in there when its work time. Try and start every day at the same hour and Break your day up into short blocks of a couple of hours with a 15 - 20 min pause in between. You need to get used to maintaining your focus for an extended period of time, but don't try and do it without time out, trust me, you'll burn out. Book time in your day for the beach or what ever you want to do out of work time, but make sure you factor into that SAME day, making up the time away from the coal face. Its a hard road, but it gets easier the longer your on it.

Warren Mahy
    www.mahystudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Focus.

How to translate what someone is saying into an image that comes close to what they've just said.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I want to learn how to draw what my mind's eye can see the way I want it to look. I guess I should start at the basic art level, with a few drawing classes this spring semester. I know exactly what I want to draw, I have a visual image of it with color and depth but when I begin to draw it, it does not look like what I visualized and this causes confusion and then I lose the mental image of what I had originally intended for it to look like.

All I want is to be able to communicate to the masses my thoughts in the form light converted by mental processing into an image they can relate to in some way and become inspired by.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

communication skills a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by MiniGoth View Post
    Focus.

How to translate what someone is saying into an image that comes close to what they've just said.
    Excellent. We called it filtering at weta. running the art brief through a succession of filters (artists ideas) until the concept begins to form. Taking out all the undesirable attributes and letting the "on the money" ones through.
    To make it work well, it takes a lot of back and forth between the artists and directors A bonus is definitely having good communication skills I think.

Warren Mahy
    www.mahystudio.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Androxity View Post
    I want to learn how to draw what my mind's eye can see the way I want it to look. I guess I should start at the basic art level, with a few drawing classes this spring semester. I know exactly what I want to draw, I have a visual image of it with color and depth but when I begin to draw it, it does not look like what I visualized and this causes confusion and then I lose the mental image of what I had originally intended for it to look like.

All I want is to be able to communicate to the masses my thoughts in the form light converted by mental processing into an image they can relate to in some way and become inspired by.

Your looking for the "blue note". Its a quest that artists have been on since the begining. I think your in the right frame of mind though. The more skilled you become as a draftsman the better you will be able to translate those ideas in your mind to paper etc.

Warren Mahy
    www.mahystudio.com

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.