Friendly Soul calibur fan art competition!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This thread is reserved for some of my former 3d modeling students whom injoy 2d illustration and happen to also be Soul calibur fans. I was asked to be the judge for this freindly competition and thought it wasa fun and cute exercise for ther blossoming talents.

ok so the rules are:

1: Choose a character from the Soul series [ranging from Soul Blade/Edge to Soul Calibur IV, the most recent installment in the series].
    2: No two contestants can use the same character.
    3: Contestants must produce a final line [clean line art] and fully rendered drawing. For render, no black and white.
    4: Finished products must be submitted later than November 5, 2008.
    5: Winner will be rewarded a free meal at California Pizza Kitchen.

Normaly to upload your imagees there is an atatch option (manage atatchments) which seems to be disables in this forum section of the sight. You can how ever upload your images to http://imageshack.us/ for free and copy and paste the IMg tag in your post and the image will appear. please keep image dimentions under 1024 .

Last edited by Robert.B; November 6th, 2008 at 08:25 AM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I dont know how to post my stuff. i'm having trouble whit that.

this web site wont let me also.

if you can help me out I'll appreciated
    thanks.
    anyways it supposed to be:

Abdel Pizarro:

character: soul calibur 2: Talim

Lines:

color:

cool thanks, does that works?.. how can I see the others?

Last edited by Abdel Joel; November 6th, 2008 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    quick update for hostin images http://imageshack.us/ upload your image and copy and paste the img tag in your post.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

"it's much easier to scale up from simplicity than to scale back from complexity"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Seung Mina fanart

CONTESTANT : Althea Suarez Gata
    CHARACTER : Seung Mina from Soul Calibur I

FINAL LINE

Friendly Soul calibur fan art competition!]

COLOR

Last edited by Althea17; November 6th, 2008 at 01:37 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey look at that you guys got it working! Awsome! Before we start to do any judging do either of you know if there were any other contestants? Also now that you guys are members if the site im expecting you both to make sketch books and start posting weekly when you can.

Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All thanks to you, Rob ^_^

I know there were supposed to be at least two more. One of them said he was going to post up his, but it was going to be past the deadline. I'll double check with him again and let you know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I did this a while ago. I know I can't do this, but saw this thread and was like, "man, I should say something." I love Soul Calibur.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/g...e3FINALSAT.jpg

Posting this just for fun. Hope not to intrude or anything, and so I've just posted a link for those of you interested. I mean, CMON. Cervantes rules.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for contributing, Quigleyer! We should have opened this thread to everyone since most of the original contestants dropped out. But there will be more of these and they will be open to everyone, so hope to see there! ^_^

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Before I decide on a winner I want to say that Althea Im glad you came up with this competition idea becuase it was a great excuse for you and abdel to join this community and start posting I hope that this will be the begining of many posts to come from you two.

Abdel Joel
    Things that I like about your piece: I think the pose works great its very dynamic

I like the way you controlled your saturation values and i can see that you mixed in some secondary colors as well.

Very clean lines they capture all the subtle details very well.

Things that could be Improved: Right now the head is reading a little too small even though its using idealised praportion I would see about maybe slighty scaling it up.

In future illustrations I would push my saturation a little more and try and take on full color. I think that what you have presented works but there is always room for imrpovment and I would love to see the color pushed a little farther.

Althea17

Things that I like about your piece: I really like the relaxed pose you depicted her in its a definate change of pace as with every other version of her I have seen.

I like her soft stream line contours good job with your line work it holds up nicely.

Some things I think could be improved: I wish that there was more expression in her face Im not really getting allot or personality from her at the momment.

Although Im glad you pushed your saturation I wish that there was a sceondary color introduced to add more mood to the piece.

I would also like to see you push your brush marks and values lighting a little more. think about setting up a dramatic light source that will let her body cast shadows on itself. This will help with the illusion of depth.

Quigleyer

Thanks posting
    man there is allot of strength in your piece and I think its a great example of an original take on a character thats inspired you. It doesnt completely read as Servantes for me but it has enuophe appeal all its own great job.

Now as far as a winner for this competition I honestly feel that you all did great and I honestly dont want to play favorites as with a competition like this because I think its all fair game to be honest. I would love to see all of you inter in the C.O.W competition which will challenge your onw creative design skills and original concepts. Now I hope that the 2 of you have a great time celebrating your victory at California Pizza Kitchen and save a slice for me !

Last edited by Robert.B; November 11th, 2008 at 08:33 PM.
    Site
    BLOG

SketchBook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.