Art: S.M and Algenpfleger study all of them bones.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: S.M and Algenpfleger study all of them bones.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following

S.M and Algenpfleger study all of them bones.

That's right!

This thread is under construction

Yo buddy, let's start with the fingers then, shall we? And then move up the arm and stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehe great!

Ill put some links here later on.

There we go!!

(Ouch, they're a lil bigger than i expected...)

As i told you already ill have a stab at the pelvis bone!

I think my approach will be first to try to understand the basic shapes of a bone or group of bones in one view (side or front view will do) before turning around it/them.
    Then il try to draw it in some kind of isometric view and practice that until i feel more comfortable with "manipulating" that bone.

Here are some feeble attempts from yesterday...
    Name:  pelvis.jpg
Views: 673
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  pelvis (2).jpg
Views: 668
Size:  168.3 KB

Name:  pelvis (3).jpg
Views: 666
Size:  155.6 KB

Name:  pelvis (4).jpg
Views: 675
Size:  141.6 KB

Name:  pelvis (5).jpg
Views: 673
Size:  148.7 KB

and tonight.
    Name:  pelvis (6).jpg
Views: 670
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  pelvis (7).jpg
Views: 658
Size:  118.6 KB

need some sleep.

Last edited by SM; November 3rd, 2008 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more from today, not there yet obviously but im not giving up...
    This particuliar bone is pretty hard to visualise from imagination, and reference are scarce when it comes to find any view other than front and side.
    Even if i had some 3D programm other than sketchup i couldnt model a bone to save my life so ill just keep on working this way.

Name:  B.jpg
Views: 634
Size:  105.5 KB

Name:  B2.jpg
Views: 620
Size:  92.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,839 Times in 633 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dude, these rule! Damn, I'm gone the next two days, but after that I'll try to catch up! As if that was possible haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm I like what you're doing here, but I thin there's a bit of over-simplification. For example, the pelvic-bone is highly gender-dependant, the difference between a woman's and a man's pelvic bone is theoretically very big (Women have to pm babies through that thing, remember?). Although nowadays the gender-differences dimish more and more in that matter, I still think it's an important factor.

Also, knowing the bones is just half the game, since there's not so much of them you can memorize them easily, but what's more important I think is to know the mechanics, know where the gaps are that attach the muscles to the bones and know the mechanics of the joints.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ~Faust~ View Post
    Hmmm I like what you're doing here, but I thin there's a bit of over-simplification.
    I would like simplification in this thread to be a good thing, not a flaw.
    Ill try to simplify or rather to select what informations are the most important so as to have a rather simple but well constructed visual idea of a bone, group of bones or limb in mind.
    After reviewing each part on its own ill try to connect the informations together so as to be able to construct a figure from mind, with loose lines, that'll be, hopefully, both solid and simplified.

For example, the pelvic-bone is highly gender-dependant, the difference between a woman's and a man's pelvic bone is theoretically very big (Women have to pm babies through that thing, remember?). Although nowadays the gender-differences dimish more and more in that matter, I still think it's an important factor.
    What you're referring to as a problem of oversimplification is a genuine problem of proportion for me!
    All u stated about the function of the woman's pelvic bone, being wider etc, i think i now already as i own a copy of anatomy for the artist by sarah simblet, wich contains loads of drawings of rare accuracy by her as well as various photos of a female skeleton and of nude men and women with a chapter focusing on the gender characteristics of the pelvic area.
    Simplification for me doesnt necessarily mean inaccuracy, however wrong proportions do.
    I havent explained that yet, but the purpose of these studies so far is still to "feel" with my eyes just like i would with my hands the most important detail of the pelvis bone.
    Just like Andrew loomis advises to do with a human standard male head before starting to move on to children, teen, women, old people, etc
    Im still struggling with the basic shape proportions of the bone so gender-dependent characteristics are far ahead from my current concerns.

Also, knowing the bones is just half the game, since there's not so much of them you can memorize them easily, but what's more important I think is to know the mechanics, know where the gaps are that attach the muscles to the bones and know the mechanics of the joints
    Thank you, its precisely to reach that level of skill that i pmed Hannes about a collab and opened this thread.
    Then yes, studying the pelvis bone on itself wont help one much if they want to get a grasp of the mechanics of walk cycles, etc
    I totally agree with you on this point.

However, right now im focusing only on this very bone for i was agreeably surprised by the wealth of shapes and beauty of lines that snake around its cavities, openings and twists!
    Drawing a simplified sketch of this assembly of forms is still difficult for me so i think its the sign that ill have to keep on digging!
    Hopefully the pages to come will show you we're not just trying to "'know the bones" as it is impossible anyway...

Hope that answers ur crit well!
    Dont assume im just trying to stubbornly repel all your crits; they're 100% legitimate, i just wanted to explain to you on wich point im not seeing eye to eye with you.
    Anyway thanks for taking the time to contribute!!

No prob Hannes!

Last edited by SM; November 5th, 2008 at 08:01 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem at all, and thanks for your thorough and informative rebuttal. I'm eagerly following this thread and see what knowledge comes out of this!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya, do you mind me joining you guys once in a few blue moon in these studies?

Members who have read this thread: 1