Sketchbook: Slothboy3000's Sketchbook
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Slothboy3000's Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Slothboy3000's Sketchbook

Ive been snooping around these forums for the passed few weeks now and decided to upload some work.
    Apologies in advance for the severe lack of work in this first post
    My scanner decided to die right after scanning this first page of the sketchbook! Ill upload some more sketches as soon as possible.

Anyways, these are just some studies I made whilst in Bangkok. Ive never tried stippling before so decided to give it a go.

Again, sorry for the big lack of work!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man, thanks for stopping by my sb!! wow those drawings are impressive!, how did you draw the elefant? point by point?!?!?!
    cheers!

WickedEdges is offline Oh Exalted n00b of n00bs! Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Omg! I LOVE these! I'm planning a trip to Thailand. Are you Thai? I'm going there with one of the monks from my temple next year. There is so much beauty in those temples. I'm glad someone here is appreciating them. Keep it up. Are there anymore?

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To add to the previous post, what is your technique? With the Thai elephant, you really have that "stone" look down. And the Naga and lion(?) both look great too. Your shading is great. I'd love to try and get that down.

Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bigfooTrooper - Thanks man, yeah the elephant is all point by point. Took long enough, haha!

WickedEdges - Thanks alot! Nope I'm not Thai, I'm actually from Wales in the UK, but I went to Bangkok back in August and fell in love with the architecture and culture. I've got more sketches I've done of buildings too, but unfortunately I can't seem to come across a scanner at the moment (and being on a student budget I haven't had time to update this in ages so I'm really sorry about that ).
    The technique I used on these is stippling, where you create the tone using tiny dots which I used on all of them (yup that's a lion that was outside one of the temples). The closer together (and in this case larger, too) the dots, the darker the tone and so the smaller and farther apart the ldots, the lighter.
    It can be tedious, but i liked using the tehnique so much I didn't get that bored. I think my hand died though!
    Hope that trip goes well, you'll love it!

Again to everyone who may have viewed this, I'm so so sorry for the huge lack of updates. Once I manage to buy or borrow a scanner I'll upload more sketches/ studies as soon as possible!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply! yeah I used the same technique for the Buddha head in my SB (my profile pic). I just wasn't sure. It is a great texturing technique, but yes very tedious. You seem to use it very effectively though. Great job, hope to see more sometime soon! Your handwriting is awesome too. Is that just how you naturally write? I have family in Wales too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, thanks! It's not how I naturally write, I was just trying out a different lettering style so that if I ever look back on this in the future I'll be able to understand it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, this does look very promising!
    the stippled elephant looks ace, lots of work I guess.
    now get ahold of a scanner and give us more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stippling. I really want to see more of your stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice!

Wow sloth truly epic pencil work i hope i can get to that level soon >.<...i hope you get a scanner soon too so we check out some more of your stuff as well, As for your elephant piece i remember my art teacher telling me way-back when he had to do something similar to a camel i was like.....no way he did a camel with just dots xD. Now i see i definitely have to step it up Your a inspiration.
    Oh and thanks for checkin out my nub sketch book ^_^

PS: I'd love to go to japan or china someday and look at all the architecture and life there...mustv'e been awesome.

Inspired by Art, Fueled by Ramen

My Sketch Book
    ^_^
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...1#post2016014d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Monotony - Thanks, yeah it took quite a few hours to get it to the standard I wanted! I've remembered I have some art elsewhere online from life drawing so I'll be posting some of that up.

anibawl - Thanks!

Imaginary - Thanks, there's some older stuff coming on the way

JohhnyB - Thanks man! It means alot that you find my work inspiring
    It's technical pens I used rather than pencil (I've tried it with pencil but it's far sloppier since the dots aren't so exact. May be interesting if I practice some more though - who knows!)
    Yeah Thailand was awesome. My first time in Asia, I really want to go back!

Here's an old life drawing study I did a few months back. These days I can see things off with it, but back then it was still the best one I'd done. Pastels on coloured paper.

Me and my housemates are thinking of all teaming up and buying a big scanner whenever we can (scarily, it's suggested that'll be in the new year! I hope it's sooner) so sorry again for such an insignificant update

Last edited by Slothboy3000; November 23rd, 2008 at 07:08 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ditto!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah seriously!
    I'm ashamed of myself for leaving it so long. We never got that scanner in the end, but that's no excuse to update every weekend when Im at home. I've started learning the figure from scratch since it wasn't going anywhere with what I was doing (I've since read all of Andrew Loomis' stuff), so expect some stuff like that to come.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some updates. I've been going through a big dry patch for the passed few months so feel sort of annoyed with this bunch of drawings. But ah well, critique would still be much appreciated!

Got some quick drawings, which are my biggest weakness (as well as hands - typical!) I guess I can get the poses down, but nothing else! I can't capture any detail or get proportions right in a quick amount of time...

And here are some slightly longer studies. Tried colour for the one, but really I should just be getting more used to tone, hence the others.

Should have more sometime in the week...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely, been waiting for the update for like... ever. Anyway, if you'r finding it hard to get details and stuff down fast just take the time you need then gradully decrease it. Awesome portraits btw, hope your planning on finishing that colour study also cause its coming along nicely.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Right! Now that I'm back home and have a scanner I'll finally be updating regularly (fingers crossed! ).
    I've recently been struck with paranoia and have realised all these years in college I've learned diddley squat about really how to draw the figure, so have started from scratch learning to draw the Loomis mannequin. I suck at it.
    I'm hoping to improve significantly over the summer.

They're clearly rushed. I feel kind of desperate after realising so many years have been wasted! Anyways, I'm off to do more careful studies, perhaps using photo reference too to get poses down (inventing poses I still find hard to do).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude, the detail in the first peice is awesome! good to see your doing studies aswell keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looking good dude, actually i've forgotten completely about loomis so thanks for reminding me. Is it the coming up with poses that you find hard btw? Or drawing them? Just think of different activities if it's the former.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks folks

Imaginary - yeah it's the inventing. Thanks for the advice, can't believe that slipped my mind! :p
    I do have an update, though I'll edit this post tomorrow. Just got a bunch of magazines and traced the mannequin over some poses to see what it looks like. I'll be trying to draw invented poses from my head, too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaah Sloth Nice to hear from you thanks on your critiques man. I hope you improve at ridiculously rapid rate during the summer i look forward to your progress!!

Inspired by Art, Fueled by Ramen

My Sketch Book
    ^_^
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...1#post2016014d

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good stuff again dude.
    there's nothing wrong with starting out with loomis again. you can only get rid of your weaknesses once you spot them.
    that aside I really like these quick figure drawings you did. the lines have a nice flow!
    update more

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys.
    I haven't forgotten about this thread, and really there's no excuse. Laziness is my worst fault.

At the moment I'm studying the skull and using reference from one of those big model ones that doctors have.
    Still need to work way more on planes and tonal values and study how the legs actually attach to the body.
    PS Skull with the nose is supposed to have a big jaw.

Last edited by Slothboy3000; October 17th, 2009 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work man. Haven't been on your SB in a while. You've progressed a lot. Try putting your SB in your signature too. Makes it easier for me to monitor. ;P

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wonderful use of stippling in your first few drawings on this sketchbook! That really impresses me. I think you should try drawing folks in wilder, stranger, more active poses, though. I see a lot of sketches of people just standing, very well drawn people just standing, but still.

Keep drawing.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Basham For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff! The first few blew me away. And i see you're into mecha, so i'm keen to hang out

Thanks
    Thanked 1,819 Times in 936 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Wow it's dusty as shit in here! A pity you don't update anymore.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.