Methods of improving work from memory?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Methods of improving work from memory?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Methods of improving work from memory?

So other than the usual constantly drawing figures from life/photo/other ref/gestures/etc.. I was wondering if anyone had any good methods they've discovered for working from memory.

I'm just asking because most of my reffed work will look great (as it should look better of course) but then I try to apply it to my work from scratch and it just doesn't seem to be porting over too smoothly, maybe it's a matter of time and more practice. But whats the good of practicing if I finally discover what I've been doing has been wrong this whole time? Just asking for opinions, there probably is no right or wrong method.

Just a little background, I've been learning guitar along with my drawing recently and I read a lot of guitar articles saying how so many people that try to learn end up practicing bad habits and end up having to relearn a lot of things, just didn't want to end up there. My hand is already f'ed up from one bad drawing habit, so I already made one of those relearning mistakes

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Analyze the model, dont copy the model. Thats how you will be able to draw from memory.

Check out vilppu.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jonas Heirwegh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Remember to learn at least basic music theory. You don't have to spend every waking hour practicing arps to a metronome (unless you want to SHRED!!!) but you don't want to turn into the dude that can't do anything unless he has tabs in front of him. Learning at least the C Major Scale and all its modes will help immensely. Also, remember to practice correctly. I've seen so many people mess up their playing because they didn't think about stretching or put any thought into their practicing methods. I did that at one point in time and ended up giving myself tendinitis. That completely killed my general picking speed, at this point I'd say I'm picking at 85 or so percent of my original speed because of it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the responses guys, I'll try to be more analytical about everything.

haha, and thanks to vato too, I already have been learning tons about music through reading articles from various sources, music seems so much easier than learning to draw for me, I think it's because more of the information on exactly how to practice is already laid out and drawing is more of self discovery. and fuck yeah im learning ot SHREDDD

Members who have read this thread: 1