Sketchbook: Uro's Notebook

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Uro's Notebook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Uro's Notebook

I suppose it's time that I start one of these.

My name is Uro. I'm an aspiring illustrator (big emphasis on aspiring), fall semester sophomore at the Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). I joined here... probably about a few months ago, but have yet to do much on this site because, admittingly, it's very daunting here.

Recently, I've been second-guessing pursuing a career in art, and the continuation of my education at MICA, but after I've expressed these concerns to one of my professors he reeled me back in and convinced me to stay, saying that I've barely scratched the surface in learning about Illustration for me to conclude that there's no path for me other than a hobby (anyone know the name Villarrubia here? or MICA alums? *curious*).

So, I'm hoping to get feedback here. I'm not afraid of frank crits, as long as there's always something constructive in them. Plus, this site seems much more serious than some others, and the gallery here is... well, jaw dropping.

As to not overload on the first post, I'll just throw in a few scans from my watercolor sketchbook. It's my favorite casual art-making technique, just with pencil and watercolor. I don't have anything extreme to show yet, probably because... I'm a very low key person, and the majority of my sketches are produced out of the need for calming entertainment.

Uro's Notebook

Uro's Notebook Uro's Notebook

Uro's Notebook

Uro's Notebook

Okay, overloaded. ...I became a tad enthusiastic. Forgive me. Posts following this one will not contain the same bulk as this one.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nah! Keep posting, LOTS.
    I should be working.. but temptation drew me back to CA... CURSE YOU!

Dude! Baltimore! Sweet!

Dude, like keep posting, this stuff looks great! Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uro's Notebook

Just to throw in a bit of work that shows I work digitally occasionally. This was done in Corel Painter IX. I used to do it a lot more before it was brought to my attention how cake-icing like my paintings were by one of my professors. I didn't realize how negative that was, but then again, I really haven't had any formal training with Corel Painter and Adobe Photoshop to know of the do's and don't's. I'm learning about overlaying textures, ..slowly... Any help anyone can give would be appreciated. I tend to like to treat the programs like paint, and I'm a bit shaky going into too much technical overlays or... however it is done.

This is basically a colored sketch, though I will admit, line art is not one of my specialities.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! I like those watercolors, specially the second one. Keep drawing and posting, practice is key.

Jaime G. Wong
    retrazos.pe
    CA Sketchbook -- Please critique!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!
    Thanks for the link~

These are looking good, I like the soft style you have. I would probably concentrate on making the shadows darker when you practise. Not a must, but might be fun to try? :3

And don't worry about posting too much - actually you should post much, much more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This isn't much to show for the time elapsed, but I was pleasantly surprised on how this figure doodle came out.

Uro's Notebook

It just started with a few swooping lines, I wasn't expecting it.

I'm considering scanning in these figure sketches I did for class today, they're all in motion, and probably the closest I can get to animation without going crazy XD. But they're on two 18" x 24" pieces of watercolor paper, and very rough, so I may or may not. School's been keeping me busy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, how awesome that you're attending MICA! I've taken some classes there & live really close, it's a great school. Also, stay confident! You obviously have talent, and I hope all of us here can help you develop that talent & encourage more work.
    Your characters are really cute; the personality is not only in the expression, but it's in the action too (esp. the last sketch). I guess my only "critique" is that you try not to stylize the characters too much.. I see the anatomy of the face in the second sketch could use some tweaking, and while it's easy to stay within your comfort zone, please also challenge yourself to do some figure/life studies to get the anatomy down.

Check out my sketchbook? updated 02.01

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry for the lag, midterms kicked my butt. And then the assignments for the following week, both in studio and lecture classes, seemed to not realize that midterms were over and... kicked my butt again. But it's okay now! I actually have a groovy field trip scheduled with my Illustration I class tomorrow that's touring us around the Delaware Art Museum, the Brandywine River Museum, and the Wyeth, so hopefully that'll be a nice trip to have fun and wind down on.

But... to the artwork. I don't have much show-worthy. Both are wide page-stretchers from my watercolor moleskin. The first was an attempt to provide a more of a setting for one of my newest stories, which, until now, has had a very limited view into the world Akah lives in and the creatures she encounters. The problem that I don't even know what these places or things look like that been a bit of an issue as well, but that's what these doodles are for:
    Uro's Notebook

Through one of my professors, I've also been introduced to the works of Claire Wendling, and loved them to the point that I was willing to chock over some money to order an art book of her works and sketches from France. And in my personal opinion, her figures, both animal and human, are fantastically breathtaking. This has of course left me itching to draw lots of figures, but unfortunately, (slap me on the wrist) when I started drawing these sketches they were during a lecture class, and for some reason there is a lack of nude live figures sitting around in those classes. So... these are from my head, but I had to do them, itch I had to scratch.
    Uro's Notebook

Thanks for your time. I really appreciate everyone's comments and critiques, and I apologize if I seem aloof. I really don't know the etiquette here and even the site layout has me lost. Until next time, I hope I have some more drawings for you.

....I REALLY need to get another figure drawing class into my schedule one of these semesters.

Last edited by Uronoro; November 14th, 2008 at 10:46 PM. Reason: left out something

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya! I found you through Gaia (HAHA)~

You've got some nice figures! I want to see MORE though!!!!!!!!! And same here; I need to take more figure drawing classes. It's been a year and I haven't had any

Keep up the great work though ;D

Visit my portfolio website at rocky-o.com
    ===
    Story of my art. . .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raspberi View Post
    Heya! I found you through Gaia (HAHA)~

You've got some nice figures! I want to see MORE though!!!!!!!!! And same here; I need to take more figure drawing classes. It's been a year and I haven't had any

Keep up the great work though ;D
    XD; Thank you. I was wondering if anyone clicks that link. Hopefully I can get some more stuff up, soon.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.