Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Steampunk'ish Sixshooter

EDIT: UPDATE on page 2

Hi everybody.

Here's a steampunk gun I've been working on for some time. It's based on a Flintlock pistol and a Webley Mark VI revolver. Probably wouldn't work in real life, but I'd like to make it look like it would.

Anyway, I'd like to hear you thoughts on it. I havn't designed alot of weaponry or mechanical stuff before. Got inspired by Coro's gun concept article in ImagineFX.

Mostly painted in Photoshop, some photo textures were used.

Below you can see my ref. pics and thumbnails.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Kredepops; November 9th, 2008 at 10:17 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Although I love your gun, the image is really brought down by the poor shadow.
    It also seems that you have multiple lightsources, some coming from the middle and some from the left?
    The bullets' reflections on the background are great, but I think their shadows are a bit too weak, making them look like they're floating. And again their lightsource doesn't seem to match that/those of the gun.

It's a good concept and I think it deserves a bit more attention.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks man! I can definitely see what you're saying. That shadow has given me a lot of trouble, I started out with a generic PS drop-shadow but that made it float too much, so I tried painting it in, but I guess that didn't work out too well either. The lighting is a bit all over the place, it could be more consequent, I went overboard with the metallic shine someplaces.

Any tips on how to correct it? Should the shadow be darker?
    Thanks for the crits and praise!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really love the design But having cartridges being fired by a cock (hope that's the right word or I've offended someone ) that's supposed to hold a flintstone in order to ignite gunpowder? maybe add a needle there insted?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KenJ View Post
    Really love the design But having cartridges being fired by a cock (hope that's the right word or I've offended someone ) that's supposed to hold a flintstone in order to ignite gunpowder? maybe add a needle there insted?
    That bothered me a bit too. I am also wondering why a gun that uses bullets in casings would need a ram rod. It seems that the gun was just pieced together (all be it in a very nice manner and well done) from a bunch of different guns without much though about functionality.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I see how you tried to combine the flintock with the revolver, in the hammer. The only thing that concerns me, is the blast chamber getting dirty from such a mehcanism.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Bai Fan View Post
    That bothered me a bit too. I am also wondering why a gun that uses bullets in casings would need a ram rod. It seems that the gun was just pieced together (all be it in a very nice manner and well done) from a bunch of different guns without much though about functionality.
    Yeah, I know I didn't pay too much attention to functionality mainly because I know squat about guns I've never even held a real one. My main concern was that it should be cool looking.

The flinthammer could be worked into something that resembles a modern hammer better, sorry I don't know the correct terms for these parts (gotta read up on that). It doesn't really make sense that it still seems able to hold a piece of flint.

Thanks for the crits guys!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, the object of that sort of hammer is to hold flint (which yours isn't) to strike a spark in a pan of powder to set off the charge within the gun. You don't need it for a gun that uses bullets with primers (like your design). In those guns the hammer is usually flat so it can hit the firing pin into the primer of the chambered round. One of your reference photos seems to show a revolver with the pin on the hammer, but that's not really common...though it's cool.

If you've never held a gun before, maybe buy an airsoft pistol off the internet? It's not the real thing, but they're cheap and you can get a good sense of how things work and how you hold/interact with one.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiolia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say you could easily push those two pieces together and just have a very ornamental hammer. That should work just fine. I would also ditch the ramrod because there would be no need to back powder of bullets and also to pay a bit of attention on how you would go about loading this thing. It doesn't seem to have any way to get to the reel (the cylinder thing that holds the bullets).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good idea, it's always different holding an object in your own hand rather than just seeing it in pictures.

Thanks, I'll change the hammer to a flat one

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Bai Fan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say you could easily push those two pieces together and just have a very ornamental hammer.
    Great, that would work I think! I'll try that out.

That should work just fine. I would also ditch the ramrod because there would be no need to back powder of bullets and also to pay a bit of attention on how you would go about loading this thing. It doesn't seem to have any way to get to the reel (the cylinder thing that holds the bullets).
    I was thinking it could break open like the Webley. The Webley can almost break in half, so you can load up the reel quickly. Like this That would require some work on the design, but not too much I think.

Sure, I am going to make changes and repost, this is really useful info for me! I might put it in the same thread, so I don't bother people with a remix of this design too much.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Perhaps you can say that the ramrod is for stoking out the cartridges when you open up the gun...

16. The Following User Says Thank You to KenJ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are all excellent crits. I love it though, it's cool as hell and feels steampunk like krzy. If I picked that up in a game like Arcanum i'd be siked. maybe the ramrod pushes the bullets down the barrel into the chamber, hell I don't know. It's kewl, good work.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ManaBurn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kredepops View Post
    Great, that would work I think! I'll try that out.

I was thinking it could break open like the Webley. The Webley can almost break in half, so you can load up the reel quickly. Like this That would require some work on the design, but not too much I think.

Sure, I am going to make changes and repost, this is really useful info for me! I might put it in the same thread, so I don't bother people with a remix of this design too much.
    That is what I was thinking too. I think it would take the least amount of effort and look the best. In that case, the ramrod could be the release to break apart the main connectors, but I think you need to add some sort of visible hinge.

I am not sure it is really all that steampunk though.

Hey... I just noticed this is my 700th post!
    Huzzah!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ManaBurn > Thanks man! I'm really happy you think it's got a coolness factor! Thanks!

Bai Fan>
    Congrats on the 700!!

Yes, I've just tried to mockup quickly how to break it open and I though of using the ramrod to push out the cylinder bullet holding thing.

Here's the mock-up, I gotta get some sleep now, it's getting late here in Denmark, I'll be back when I've worked out the shadows and that stuff too
    And thanks for all the crits you guys! It's been an eye-opener!

My main concern is that the piece above the trigger is a bit thin to hold the entire front part when open. That could probably use some work aswell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yea, I agree. I think you should move the hinge point in front of the reel like it is in the reference picture. What is that 2nd opening thing in the front wood piece? What is your intention for it?

Also, notice in the reference how above the reel there is an extended metal piece that helps to lock the barrel in place? Might want to address something like that too. I think it will make it look more believable.

I might be into doing a collaborative part in this when you are done with it and modeling it in Maya if you are interested. I am installing mudbox tonight to use with normal mapping (really good for detail) and I would be down with with working on it.

Let me know if you are interested.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great use of your Ref. The Gun looks great and its pretty believable too.
    Best
    D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kredepops View Post
    I went overboard with the metallic shine someplaces.

Any tips on how to correct it? Should the shadow be darker?
    I think the left half of the shadow is good and doesn't need that much correction. That's until you look at the shine (of the revolving barrel mainly).
    Pretty much everything else on the gun has a shine/shadow referring to a lightsource being on the left.

When painting the shadow, think about what parts of the gun touch the table it's sitting on and make those areas slightly darker. As the object dropping the shadow moves further away from the table the shadow is less intense and less defined. You've done that well on the trigger guard's shadow.

I agree about the hinge being a bit too far back. You could move the entire hinge with the trigger guard forward just like it is on your reference.

I like what you're doing, keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice work, love steampunk style!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Guys thanks for the feedback sorry for the late reply, was out celebrating my birthday yesterday

Bai Fan > Yes, moving the hinge point would give it some needed stability.
    Ah yeah I can see that now! I actually got a pretty decent resin copy of a Webley for my birthday, that'll come in handy now

I'm not really sure about that second opening, it was just something I threw in there because I thought it looked too 'empty' - haha that's a really bad reason designwise! I'll have to think of a clever reason for having it, or simply removing it.

Sure man, a 3D conversion would be sweet, something we both could use to show off in portfolios with proper credit included of course I'm all for it.
    I do a bit of modelling in 3D Max myself, but I'm not that good at it.

Danvancool > Thank you man! Glad you like it!

DANKA > Thank you very much!

teazr > Thanks for adressing the shadowing problem, I think I see what needs to be done about it. Very helpful of you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heh, I just started working it about 20 minutes ago. What if that box held extra ammo, cleaning supplies, etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I couldn't find a good ascii version so I will just say it...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just so you know,
    those bullets won't fin in that reel. They are too long.
    Also, the bullets don't really look like handgun bullets, they are too long. They look more like ak47 bullets.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What are you going to call it by the way?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! I had a great day with the wife checking out a Manga exhibition.

Cool - You're right, those bullets probably belong to a heavy machinegun, I'll try and shorten them. Yes a maintenance compartment isn't a bad idea! I thought about it being a storage compartment for spent bullet casings, but I can't figure out how the casings would get from the reel to that box, so 'maintenance' is more realistic.

It's called 'The Decimator IV' It's hard to see but it's etched into the front metal part below the barrel.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a reel that I made for a revolver I am working on. Notice how the indentations go in between the bullet spacers.

I am showing so if you do a gun in the future you can see how they are spaced out. The ones in this piece seem a bit off.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

- First off: Nice pic! I like the blended aesthetics of the two 100-years-apart sidearms.
    Very steampunk, very cool.
    One tiny quibble, which I wouldn't have brought up if you hadn't included the line " I'd like to make it look like it could work " in your original post....
    The older pistol, the flintlock, has quite a thick barrel because the bullet diameters of the time were very large - 60+ 1/100th's of an inch, frequently. However, the bullets you've drawn, ( rather nicely,) are much more modern looking, and much more svelte, and they look a bit of out of place next to the extra-chunky barrel. If you're inclined to change it, I'd suggest thickening and blunting the bullets a bit - even the rounds for the webley, the later pistol, are rather more snubbed and thick.

( Really lovely work on the pic, tho.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JunkyardNinja View Post
    - First off: Nice pic! I like the blended aesthetics of the two 100-years-apart sidearms.
    Very steampunk, very cool.
    One tiny quibble, which I wouldn't have brought up if you hadn't included the line " I'd like to make it look like it could work " in your original post....
    The older pistol, the flintlock, has quite a thick barrel because the bullet diameters of the time were very large - 60+ 1/100th's of an inch, frequently. However, the bullets you've drawn, ( rather nicely,) are much more modern looking, and much more svelte, and they look a bit of out of place next to the extra-chunky barrel. If you're inclined to change it, I'd suggest thickening and blunting the bullets a bit - even the rounds for the webley, the later pistol, are rather more snubbed and thick.

( Really lovely work on the pic, tho.)
    Remember that if you chose to do this, you will also need to adjust the size of the reel accordingly, which could throw off the flow of the gun.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.