Sketchbook: Trying to draw and improve my skills, help would be appreciated!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Trying to draw and improve my skills, help would be appreciated!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Trying to draw and improve my skills, help would be appreciated!

Hey there! Iīm new to this community and not as good as most of the artists Iīve seen here so far... But Iīm trying to improve my skills and would be very glad if some of you could give me tips at how to get better!
    In the past I didnīt do much realistic drawing... I was stuck on manga -.-;;
    But now I want to study media-design so I want to concentrate more on this! (Because manga isnīt very popular among the professors in the univeritys I want to apply at! xD)
    So I applied for a drawing course and try to practice as often as I can! (because of work itīs sometimes really hard to do so.. )
    But I still make a lot of mistakes
    So as for my works I uploaded below, the scans are not that good... My scanner is very small and Iīm still trying to figure out how I get the best scans possible... (but fail as you can clearly see... )
    so I want to appologize for the bad quality and for my grammar... xD (Also one thing I have to improve in! My English isnīt very good either...)
    So thatīs it for now! I hope my pictures arenīt that bad and some of you will be kind enough to help me even if my pics arenīt the best! But I promise I will keep on practising!!
    :-)
    Bye Aayana~

Attached Images Attached Images                      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Aayana, Welcome to CA . Your Glasse is really good, I really like those little details. But to be a good artist, there is no secrets : draw, draw, draw, from life, from refs,.... Try to study anything, perspective, values, color/light, anatomy, design and composition, .... Try to see inspiring sketchbooks, like algenpfleger, Mr.Delicious, to know how study things. And always keep it up !!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,292 Times in 745 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Welcome Aayana!
    This is a nice start! Your characters are lovely. You need to find your own style now, and work at it. And in the same time follow the Walid's advice. Draw the more you can. Always keep a sketchbook with you, and when you see an intersting face, place, light, composition, vegetable? whatever! Draw it!
    But don't forget to have fun! Your drawings tell you have, so keep have fun drawing, and you'll make amazing progress!

Sketchbook :: Blog :: Gorilla Artfare :: Prints :: my Etsy
    koppa says:
    i could kick an eggs ass if i wanted to

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Clochette For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Walid: Thank you for your advice!! I looked trough the galleries you recommended and they were really good and make me want to get as good as them (even if Iīm far faaaaar away from that quality...but well...Iīll keep on practising!)

@Clochette: Thank youuu!! Yeah I really like drawing but still most of my pictures donīt turn out the way I want them to... but I will keep in mínd what you said and practise, practise, practice and try to find my own style in drawing!

sooo today I just have a small update... yesterday I tried to draw cherries with AdobePhotoshop... itīs a photostudy...but doesnīt look like the real thing...
    But itīs my first try to do a photo-study with my computer... it was somehow really diffucult for me... but it was also fun and I think next time I will be able to handle it a little bit better (and I also tried to do portraits with computer...but they turned out to be so bad...I would be really embaressed if someone actually saw them... I would die to know how all those great artists on ca manage to draw such great portraits with computer... I still have to figure out most functions of my programm... ö__Ö; but just so you know...I wasnīt that lazy and just drew the cherries...the other stuff is just....too bad to show... xDD and today I started some snotomystudy with my anatomyfigure...I think I will put them online tomorrow or the day after tomorrow... ._.
    Anyway...below is my sad result of the wannabe-cherries...

(and another question...could someone tell me how I can change the link in my signature so that the link is changed to "sketchbook" and when you click it, you get to see it..?? Iīm really dumb when it comes to computerthings... would be really nice if someone could tell me... because it doesnīt look nice when you see the whole link instead of just the words "my sketchbook"...)
    so thatīs it for today! :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ... didnīt get to practise much these past two days, because of birthdaypreparations... anyways...I try to get better... :-(

Just quick Photostudy of Marilyn Monroe... with two felt pens...
    there are a lot of mistakes, but I couldnīt erase it so..
    the other two are just some studies with my anatomydoll... (donīt know the right word for it...)
    also not very good... but they were also done rather quickly...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice render on the glass, and the cranium. I dig your colored illustrations too. Keep sharing

I found this site from another post in someones sketch book, youll find Andrew Loomis books you can read which i find very helpful. Bridgman is also very good but i didnt find any books of his on the scribd site.

http://www.scribd.com/search?previou...loomis&x=0&y=0

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aayana, your cherries are not bad at all ! be carreful, shadow on cherries are too dark to be real, and you've let a blank area between cherries and their cast shadow !!! And next time, save your painting as a jpeg and not as a gif, okay xD

Keep working on proportions, and when you'll be at ease with that, so start putting values ! Keep it up and have fun

And for your signature, it's : Sketchbook

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.