give me feedback i feel stuck.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

give me feedback i feel stuck.

i dont know where else to go from here...any suggestions. listen to a cool song its by DeVotchKa "How It Ends" it is very moving.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Thanked 2,275 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    good band, good song. theyve been high on my playlist for awhile as of late.

here's my analysis of the song: its a subtle progression of unspoken thoughts that is coming to a climax.

so with that in mind when i look at the image it doesn't fully strike me as nailing this concept. but its possible that its a matte rof interpretation. the sense i get from the closed off body language is good, but its being bombarded with filled areas of patterns which detract visually from the figure. theres a dichotomy between the figure and textures which is competing for dominance.

i would work on resolving the pose, as i feel it best related to the emotional quality i think youre trying to capture. the leaf patterns seem an afterthought which may also thematically seem appropriate to you, but the method to which they are being used does not harmonize with the character and seem to draw attention away from what i feel is the most important aspect.

i'd strengthen and resolve the linework, let it bring the figure forward by having an established edge. the background if of a planar flatness which melts into the figure foreground. there is no real tension other than differing patterns in the surface quality of the percieved textures.

i would draw some background elements to give a better sense of environment. this will help build the mood. think of it like a scene from a film that was filmed in front of a green screen. if the screen is glaring green, its going to distract you aesthetically from probably enjoying the finer subtleties of the performance. instead you want a natural backdrop which enhances and enforces the situation without calling attention away from the action.

keep at it. Name:  Grief.gif
Views: 141
Size:  267 Bytes

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you hit the nail right on the head Grief. Im going to go back and just rework the whole thing, very informative and great cc just what i needed.... a good kick in the nuts!!! woohoo.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Kinda reminds me of the animes Gankutsuo and Mononoke

Might be good inspiration...

"I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The thing that bothers me about the piece is the choice to add blurry lines around the kimono and neck area.

I feel the piece would be better if you embraced the graphical nature of it and do it in a more illustrator like style.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,343 Times in 1,208 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think it's a mistake to try and "3d-ify" a very flat piece like this. I'd lose all blur and airbrushing and keep it flat, simple and elegant. More subtle patterns might work better than very bold ones. I'm not sure the asymmetric neck (not the neckline, but the neck and shoulders themselves) works all that well, but that might just be me.

*** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,372 Times in 3,594 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I feel that this needs an organic frame that is trying to intrude. Sorry if I'm not more precise, but its your work.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The coloring of flat shapes with that explosion and overabundance of textures makes these really hard to read. For example- I get the gist of what's going on in the car driving piece, but can't make out ANYTHING and get really confused to the far left. You're at least going to need to separate your values/contrast of planes as the recede in space quite a bit more.

"She took the ice cube trays out of the freezer. What kind of a sick bitch takes the ice cube trays out of the freezer?"

LOOK AT MY WEBSITE!
    LOOK AT MY SKETCHBOOK!
    LOOK AT MY BLOG!
    LOOK AT MY DEVIANT ART PAGE!
    LOOK AT MY FINALLY FINISHED PAGE!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 832 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm... Yes, I can agree with you. The style, especially mononokes, is also a little hard on your eyes at first when you're watching it too, but after a while you get used to it and end up thinking (well, at least me) it looks amazing. Some of the effects in the series are really dazzling

That wallpaper/promotional-picture with the car is a little exaggerated though, yes. But it kinda captures the feel of the series well at the same time...

Last edited by tobbA; November 1st, 2008 at 05:38 AM.
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.