Sketchbook: A Fistful of Lines *Now available in 3D!* - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bridgmans hands are so cool, makes me wanna switch to those studies, but hehe, Loomis would not agree with that unless I finish first his "Drawing head & hands" book

Yeah, croatian to english Lav = Lion

Thank you for your response on my SB

Deceive me out of my emptiness
    Sketchbook
    deviantArt
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys

There's gonna be a wall of text because i was wondering if some of you might be able to help me make a dicission. Tho if you're not interested in the emo tales of Lav and her future self, just scroll down for zeh updates

---------
    So I've decided i don't want to continue the studies that i'm doing at the moment. A little bit late i guess, but i really want to try and find something different to study and have a future in. It's a bit frustrating and stressing me out because i feel like i've waisted 3 years in total and not finding what i love doing school-wise, or what i can and want to do in the future for a living.

I figured to ask opinion from other people. Normally I don't like to ask things like these on a forum but here at CA people can have a different look on what i can do and where i came from and maybe you can have some opinions on what could be a good idea or what would be utterly hopeless.

Maybe it's a good idea to tell you a bit more about my previous educations as well. In highschool it took me a little while to find what i really wanted. Eventually i found my way to art school and studied film and photography. Then i realised how much I truely LOVE art and can't live without it, i also realised that i really want to keep doing something visual for the rest of my life. I enjoyed the education but realised that i was getting more and more interested to combine different types of mediums. So i started thinking after i graduated from highschool, i had the basics on film & photography, and now i wanted to see something else. I also thought that i had to find a study that would teach me a craft that i wouldn't be able to learn on my own, or at least not easely, so i started with Digital Arts and Entertainment (basicly game design/3D, etc).
    I realised there that i really didn't enjoy 3D enough to do it fulltime, it's a fun hobby but it was too much for me, and i wasn't a good enough programmer or concept artist to really continue with that education.
    That's when I left to study Digital Design and Media (webdesign/flash applications/advertisements/designing/etc..) I don't know why i kept doing this for 2 years because i didn't really enjoy it. I don't like always having to keep in mind that everyone from 10 years to 80 will be able to understand your work and felt really limited. I now also realise that i'm not a designer (and that a designer and an artist are mostly two whole different things) and also realised i NEVER want to work in advertisement.

So now i know what i don't want, then what do i want?

Like i said, i LOVE art in general and i want to do something visual and experiment with different mediums. I also know i'm very far from good and my head is full of ideas that i just can't be able to put on paper yet, but hey, school's there to teach me these things. So i've been thinking about a couple of things to study that i will list now, along with the doubts that i have for it.

Art History; I try to keep myself busy with museums and i love learning about it. Tho, if i would decide to study art history, it would be a very big adjustment for me. It would be a lot of studying and not making anything myself other than papers that you have to write. And there are a lot of other art educations that still teach art history classes but then also really working with art myself. But then again, it would take the stress away to weither someone will like your work or not. If you have an exam it's either that you have the right answer or the wrong one, but not that someone doesnt like the answer. I'm also not sure what the future would hold for someone with a degree in Art History.
    I think this is perhaps not one of the favorite options so far Especially if they also have Art History classes in the other options below

Mixed Media: I love mixing different mediums and experimenting, (i don't want to do just digital stuff, for example, like painting on photos, making something with your hands and tear it and stitch it back up, etc). However, i feel like this is more of a "do your own thing" and you can ask feedback from a mentor instead of people really teaching you something. I don't mind this, because it's basicly what CA does for me, but i think for an education i'm looking for something more than that.

Animation; In highschool i went to a workshop on traditional animation and i really loved it. In fact i was considering studying it after i graduated but i thought to myself i wasn't good enough to even try out at the entrance exam (which is really stupid because they said even people with absolutely no experience could try out). Anyways, i still don't think i'm a good drawer or good enough animator but that's what they'll teach me there.

Comic book artist: oh boy do i have a long way to go if i really wanted to be one. I thought i read somewhere about an education in Belgium for it, but i can't find it anymore I'm a big comic fan. Something like this is combining some of what i've learned in highschool towards making panels. However i'm really not sure how they teach things like these and if it would be a good idea. A lot things fir this feels very unsure

Conservation and Restoration (of paintings); I can't paint, but i read that you don't really need experience to start studying this, tho i find that hard to imagine and wonder how you would do the entrance exam then. But this is actually the reason why i've picked up waterpaint, i've read that during the entrance exam you need to make something in waterpaint Anyways, what i love about this is that they really teach a specific craft. If i would study this and graduate, i know i would find a job and if i don't want to restore painting for the rest of my life, i can still (hopefully) become an artist but you can't be an artist and then decide to restore paintings without the knowledge that they teach you here. Tho this really isn't to be underestimated i think. There's also a lot of nature science (for example, why some chemicals work better and how to determine the date of an artwork) and a lot of documentation and papers to write. I also hope that if i would study this, i would still have the time and energy to work on my own stuff outside of school instead of having had enough for the day by doing "obligated" work.

So.. that's it for now i think. I'm really confused and was wondering if maybe some of you would have some advice
    Or else plan B, become a tattoo artist travelling all over the world
    -----

k, spamtime is over, here are the updates :3 Maybe i should be doing more watercolour still lifes, hopefully they'll enhance my colour palette if i learn what type of colours are natural

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Last edited by Lav; June 19th, 2010 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,693 Times in 2,429 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You're the one that I love.
    And drink....

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

4. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sorry to hear about your struggles However, you already have one and a half college behind you, so it's not that bad.

I have a feeling the problem lies in the way you view education. A school isn't supposed to teach you everything - I learned the most from a professor who didn't really teach me, but rather nudged me in the right direction here and there, letting me decide what to do on my own. Please don't expect a school to teach you absolutely everything to become awesome [insert what you want to be here]. If a professor comes up and shows you every little thing, you will only know how he does it. There will be none of you in it.

Restoration requires no talent because it's a technical skill. Anyone can have a high skill in something if they work on it long enough.

So, a school is supposed to guide you. Tell you, look, you need to know this and this to become good at this job. You need to expand A LOT on your own. Turn the Internet inside out, go to your local library, TEACH YOURSELF what you want/need to know!

Decide on profession you can see doing for the rest of your life. Don't rely on what you will be taught at school, because most of it will be knowledge that is very basic and common. All of the students learning with you WILL know what YOU know, no?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! I believe this is my first time posting here, but I've checked your stuff out before and enjoyed it, sorry about the lack of comments!

I read about your school dilemma. This is something I can truly relate to, having gone through something similar myself and knowing how frustrating it feels when you suddenly realize that something you've spent a long time on (2,5 years in my case) isn't what you want. But you know, it's really all part of that journey. Obviously it's super annoying that it can be so twisted and long-winding, while others take the short and straight road, but such is life. Also, knowing what you don't want to study is also just as important! What you gained from this is very valuable: you know you don't want to be a designer. That's a big step!

I'm afraid I can't help you take that final decision (that's always up to ourselves, unfortunately!), but here are my 2 cents anyway. From what I can see in your SB, your style/drawing subjects seem to lean into figurative, character-based drawing with much storytelling. So out of those choices you gave yourself in the last post, I'd personally bet on either Animation or Comics. Your characters are charming, I think they'd translate well into these mediums.

I also noticed you listed some "non creative" options, like Art History and Restoration. Even though they're definitely related to art, it's still a big difference between making your own art and reading about or fixing other people's artwork. Because honestly, you might then just as well study Biology or English--bottom line, you won't be creating, so the subject you choose isn't really relevant, even though it's more art-related than most. So if you're truly driven into expressing yourself, keep that in mind. At least that's something I figured out myself, when I was thinking about other possibilities, maybe it sheds a light on your dilemma as well

Anyway, won't keep this much longer. I thought a stranger's outlook on the matter might help! I guess it all comes down to what you truly enjoy doing and makes you happy. Stop thinking about 'shoulds' and clients and jobs and the future, because if you're happy in your work, you're bound to be successful. Good luck!

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 449 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Double post :/

sketchbook / sketchblog / deviantart / facebook / twitter / e-mail

"assiduus usus uni rei deditus et ingenium et artem saepe vincit" - cicero

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Lav, I just wanted to tell you how much I relate to your situation.

I'm also studying graphic design, and I find myself with doubts about my choice. On the other hand, illustration in this country isn't exactly what I'm looking for, and since everything I know about drawing I learned on my own, I might as well learn something useful like design.

From what I heard, the best school for comic is in St. Luc in brussels, but you have to speak french
    If you like painting, you might try the fine arts in Luik, there's always a model in the classroom and the teachers give you lots of freedom. But then again, french is mandatory.

I hope you can find your path, and I'm rooting for you.

Kisses
    Manuel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @LtPlissken, haha cool, first i find out i'm a lion, but now i'm also beer

And thanks everyone for your replies i really appreciate it, it can be very "eye-opening" to listen to other people's view on it.

@Donna, you're right. I look at an education and see what the stability and security it would give me towards the future. I have this idea that i should study something that i wont easely learn by myself, but in the end it got me into educations where i don't really want to be, it's time to forget about all that and figure out what i really want. However, that's easier said than done unfortunately
    Maybe i should just find a job for a year and experiment in different fields in my free time and see what i really like and want. But you're right, i think in the end i want to do things my way, and not by the standards of other people

@ AsaB, thank you very much, it's very pleasent to hear my drawing is figurative with much storytelling And you're very right, it's a big step from making your own thing to "copying" other things. I realise now that something as Art History wouldn't be a good idea anymore, and having serieus doubts about restauration. Allthough at one point it would take away the stress of hoping that people will like the concept and the idea and learning many different techniques, i also have to face the fact i need to be able to just at time do my own thing or i'm going crazy
    Thanks very much for stopping by in my SB you really made some good points clear to me

@Mister Dark, don't you feel a big difference between an artist and designer? It's really cool you can give me tips on specific schools. I can understand french, as long as they don't speak too fast (which they always do ) but i can't really have a conversation in french, tho i think if you live in a situation where you HAVE to speak it daily, you'd pick it up rather fast.

Anyways, so somethings are getting a bit more clear to me now, gonna keep looking around for more educations and i'll see what the future will have in store for me. Also gonna be leaving to Vietnam next month for 25 day, so i bought a new sketchbook to bring with me (A5) and some new pencils that i took for a little drive today.
    Just a few sketches for now, i felt like ignoring everything i learned this year and just doodle around It actually felt really good haha

Last edited by Lav; March 18th, 2012 at 06:22 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lav,
    Hopefully I wont sound harsh here Anyway, what I have learned so far as I was in the same situation as you are right now. Is that I need to stop thinking what to do and actually start making things and learn. Whatever I choose to do in the future it will all be related to color, form, design, perspective, anatomy (mostly). So I found out there is no reason to feel sorry for myself and wait to discover what can I get. Because these are all the basics for everything related to art. If I know them, then I can do comics, storyboards, illustrations, concept design... anything.
    I think the most important thing is to learn. The more you know the better you will feel about yourself and much more confident.

Hope it helps. One more big HELLO from croatia to lion
    Take care and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Never underestimate the humble doodle! It can free up your creativity, and show you just how much you've absorbed to the point that you use it without thinking.

And i feel for your situation... I cannot truly sympathise, because for at least two years now I've known what i've wanted to pursue. But know that we are all here to support you know matter what you choose to do! And if you do find yourself in the wrong path, remember that there are a variety of ways to any given destination. Just take the time to sit back, calm down, and realise what you truly enjoy. It's like me and 3D now- i can't contemplate spending 7 hours at a PC doodling with maya (it sounds mindmeltingly boring and horrible, actually) but regularly I do without realising it. That's how I know i love it.

So, just go with the flow! Take what happens and work with it.

Oh, and I love the hands you've sketched further up the page! Such nice strong lines, no hesitation. I personally think you'd make a great character artist.

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

Surion is offline Just chasin' my dreams Level 6 Gladiator: Provocator
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey lav!

I saw this sketchbook by accident, and what a coincidence! I'm currently also a student Devine, first year tho.

I read your text about the education choosing problem and I had the same problem when I had to choose one year ago. It's obvious you want to do something visual but remember that education isn't everything, especially for the visual stuff. School just gives you a little push in the back and all the rest is up to you. But let's not talk about school.

First you have to be sure: what is it that you want to do? Picture yourself as an 80-year old, what do you want to have achieved by then? Education isn't everything. Also as mentioned by someone before, don't think to much about these problems, this will drive you insane and you'll get the illusion you're stuck.. like forever. But you're not. All you have to do now is do what you want to do. Feel like drawing? draw, feel like coding some actionscript? Then code some actionscript. In the end it's that what you love most that you will keep doing and doing and with some luck the choosing-problem will fix itself.

This sounds cheesy but listen to your heart, what does it desire most? Do that, don't waste your time on stuff you don't like doing.

Before I leave, a book you HAVE to read is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho it helped me figuring out what to do, and it will help a bunch of ppl in the future. It's a small read and totally worth it!

Nice sketchbook also! keep on practicing!
    looking forward to your next works and the best of luck with everything!

Help me improve my drawing skills by commenting my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Surion View Post
    Before I leave, a book you HAVE to read is The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho it helped me figuring out what to do, and it will help a bunch of ppl in the future. It's a small read and totally worth it!
    Ha, another coincidence, I was just thinking about that book last night! I read it quite a while ago but yes, it can help you put things in the perspective and is totally right on everything. Best thing is, you can finish it in a couple of hours 8D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks everyone for your comments!

@Ivan, you're right, but i'm just being a bit cautious because i don't want to make another mistake and ending up somewhere i don't want to be again. But you're right, i need to produce more stuff. Thanks for your comment

@Nanoblack, thank you so much nano Good to hear you know what you're looking for and thanks for the kind words

@Surion, haha what are the odds? i never knew other deviners were on ConceptArt Thanks for your advice, i'm trying to focus now on finding what it is i like doing most and hopefully the answer will be clear soon Also thanks on the book advice, i ordered it online And good luck in Devine, hope you're enjoying it more than i was

@Donna, well if it has your seal of approval i'm surely getting it myself!

Sorry for another crappy update for now, the heat has been melting me away (so hard to draw when it's so hot!)
    I'm still planning to keep up with studies like bridgmen but gonna focus more on styles with a lot of characteristic instead of trying to pursue realisme all the time.

Last edited by Lav; June 29th, 2010 at 10:07 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lav View Post
    @Donna, well if it has your seal of approval i'm surely getting it myself!
    Well, yes and no to be honest! I loved it the first time I read it - when I was 16 - but when I tried to read it again, it was 'meh'. Depends on what you've read before and if it's what you need to hear at that very moment. But like I said, it's a short book and you should give it a try!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah k, well we'll see once i get it i guess.

Small update for now, not liking my drawings these days, also have some computers problems so wont be able to update much x.x

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh... inspired by plague doctor masks? I love those

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Lav -- I can completely relate to what you are going through. Not so much when I was in college but I've been having the same dilemma more and more recently. But I do agree with Ivan Turcin -- It's important to learn because everything is more or less related. With me, I was gearing myself more towards graphic design so I could get a stable job but now you have to know web design as well so I've been taking some web design classes while pursuing my art on my side. Because of this, it is helping me understand web programming which is something I never knew before and I was able to create a website for my friend who is starting her own company and wants to use me for future projects when the company picks up. Even though that I still need to create some more web sites to add to my portfolio, the more you know, the better. Maybe you should take some time off and think about it? Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys

Here's some rough sketches for this week'd ChoW, gonna work some more on it but don't think i'll enter it in the end, still don't have a wacom so i'll need to do something else with it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lav, maybe you should expand your study objects, there are so much to study, if you feel uninspired or don't know what to study, go to MB's homepage and look at the portfolio, just looking at these pics, has helped me so much. Keep your mind fresh.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,243 Times in 391 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hello Kitty! :3

I just read that superlong post of yours and all I can say is - don`t waste your life. We only have one (or so we think). I did the mistake of taking the easy road, which resulted in me loosing 5 years of my life for nothing. I could have been drawing that time. I still regret it a bit, but I found my way back on the road I was always supposed to be on. Sometimes you need to make mistakes to figure out what you should be doing. Although, I sure do hope you won`t need to make mistakes ;P
    To sum it up - you`re young. Your whole life is ahead of you. And you`ve already started to ask questions and look at your options. As long you figure out what`s the first thing on your mind when you wake up and the last thing you think about before you fall asleep, you`ll make the right choice. Don`t limit yourself, though - why couldn`t you be a comic/animation artist and an art history teacher AND restaurateur. Would certainly be an interesting life you`d have

Your latest sketches are looking good, keep it up. They`re already starting to show character and uniqueness, so push it further! And while in Vietnam (you lucky you), pick up that SB and practice drawing asian features. God knows you`ll have an opportunity. Record everything you can, make a road-trip drawing journal and post it here! That would be sweet...*_*

PS - That brush you asked about

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the tip heixx
    And thanks PxelSlayer, and you're right but the thing is that i do have to make a sellection in order to find something to study (if i don't decide to just work next year instead), i can still to the other stuff after. However for now i think i just need to empty my head and then start thinking about it again. And thanks for the brush, i'll add it to my map

So anyways, wont be doing much untill i leave to vietnam next week so don't expect to see much in here for another month.
    So i will leave you with this horrible doodle I just felt like doing that monkey in charcoal, i know it would have bene more usefull to have done other stuff... but i just felt like doing it
    Sorry for bad quality, it was too big for scan so it's a photo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Shame you didn't want to enter that comp, that monkey character of yours is showing a lot of character and uniqueness. Sort of looks like it needs a "heeeeey" caption though

Continue it anyway! Even a nice finished pencil would be nice.

Where your once steely reserve is now merely tinned,
    You'll find it all in Morrowind

SUPERCALIFRAGILISTIC-EXPIALIDOSKETCH
    | LYNO | GRAFGUY | NANOBLACK | SUBLIMUS |

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lav. Long time no talk. I read your dilemma, and I can definitely relate. I went through the same thing for a long time. I too suffer from not loving 3d work as much as I thought. Too bad I realized it halfway through a computer animation program at an expensive art school. From what I've seen of your work, I think you should be considering being an illustrator or fine artist. I notice that you put a lot of thought and craft into your pieces, I tend to be the same way. This is why I gave up on comics and animation, because you sacrifice a lot of the detail for storytelling. Not that I've given them up for life, mind you. I would think you might be hard pressed to find an animation program that doesn't feature 3d as a large part of its curriculum, but if you can I'd say go for it, because animation stresses large, and I mean large amounts of drawing. If you want an idea of how much, take a week, and do 20 pages of copywork from a life drawing book. 20 pages of hands for example. It's a good assignment, and it'll give you a good idea of how much you'll be drawing. I don't know how much you try to do locally, but get involved with as much of the art scene around you. I avoided this, and its a pain playing catch up later. Hope all this helps. Your sb's looking good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aaaaaaaand, i'm back! Vietnam was awesome, i learned a lot from it, i even learned what i wanna study :3 Tho i wouldn't be Lav if i still wouldn't have a difficult time making decisions >.<
    And thanks for your feedback Mykro, it is very true what you say about it, and i have tried doing traditional animation before so i do understand what it means. Tho i think i'd always want to try and improve in every way possible.

As for updates, i had very little time to sketch, every day was packed with lots of things and the roads aren't very ideal to draw with a steady hand when you're on a bus or train :p
    However, i do have a small sellection of photos I can share for now, and will do my sketch update later

And now i need a break, will upload the others later today

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh cool Vietnam , thanks for sharing some pictures .

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    DING PAGE 10!!
    Thank you Lyno :p

Man some of these are really bad, but i guess you have to learn from your mistakes, so please feel free to point them out
    Also, if i'm gonna apply to a school i need to set up a portfolio, anyone has some good advice on how to do this? I have several unfinished sketchbooks but i don't want to show up with all of them because then it looks like i never finish what i started, and i also have bigger stuff that needs to stay in a map and photos so i have no idea how to combine everything in a good portfolio. Suggestions anyone? :s

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some quick poses update

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lav,

What school are you thinking of applying to? I think your bridgeman studies are looking really good. Maybe you should try drawing some of his sketches from memory and try to incorporate his methods into your imaginative work more. I know it's hard but it's worth a shot. I'm slowly trying to do that now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Lav!

Love your quick poses! Altough i have the impession that some of your poses seem off balance. Never the less, a great update! Keep it up!

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 2