Sketchbook: Training montage- Updated January 20th 2013 - Page 5
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast
    My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that last apple is looking better. It looks pale though (still) but its much better then your last attempts. you study is coming along nicely, please continue with these before trying to draw from your head (i know its tempting) this just makes it faster for you to learn. Which means the faster you can start drawing w/e you want.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bigfooTrooper: Cheers man. No idea where to start with creatures though Will get down to your SB, it's been a while.

SkytheArtist: Thanks, to be honest I don't know what else I'd do with my time

Man Made God: That's a good point lol I think I'll do some studies first Thanks

My57: I couldn't disagree more, if you can't immediately apply study from your head then what did you learn? I enjoy drawing from mind too much not to. Which area of the body should I work on now, I feel fairly sound with the rib cage, but it could be better I'm guessing? Legs are such a weak point, So is female anatomy...I pretty much just answered my own question >.<

Yesterday's stuff. This is the traditional work I did, could have done some study I know My leg lengths are very weak, I need to improve that but I'm not sure how.
    Pose came out wrong, so I edited it a bit LEGS!
    Name:  Dynamic Poses 31.jpg
Views: 995
Size:  76.5 KB
    LEGS!
    Name:  Dynamic Poses  32.jpg
Views: 989
Size:  78.2 KB
    FUN
    Name:  Ideas 16.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  120.1 KB
    Doodles
    Name:  Ideas 17.jpg
Views: 990
Size:  116.6 KB

Mischeviouslittleelf is offline Promoted himself from Auxillery Pencil Infaantrist to Tablet Gunner Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,076 Times in 716 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey mate, just dropped in here, seeing as I say you were one of the young'ns. I gotta tell you, a lot of people give you praise, and that is deserved, you are 14, which is a young age to start doing this at, but that is a good thing. I like your enthusiasm for art, and your guts to stick with this, but there are a couple of things that you need to look into.

First of your lines, they are very dull, so try and get some life into that, try and mix it up a little. I would like to see some more coloured stuff, so do studies, sort of like the the ones Algenpflegler did in his early pages. You should also try and get into more design elements, seeing as that would help with you understanding of forms in spaces and what not.

Second, you need to stay the hell away from white. Seeing pure white being put into a painting, or people using it for an element to blend through, it kinda makes me sad, because that means they have no studied their Itten and the other colour theories.

Thirdly, and this is the important one, don't rush to much, be calm, and work on your weak areas. Bring a small SB with you everywhere you go and just draw like crazy, be a kid, like most of the rest of us and just keep doing this stuff, and befor you know it, you will see improvement!

Cheers

-E

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Mischeviouslittleelf For This Useful Post:

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *sigh*

yes i know drawing from your head allows you to apply what you have learned, but i can assure you the more you study anatomy and copy it the more your head learns it and it sticks with it. Meaning the more studies done means more your brain learns how everything works meaning that the drawings from your head will become better.

Trust me on this. i used to be waaaaay worse then i am now before the summer (2008, for future reference) then i used my 2 months on the human body study. And bam i got to this to this level (well a little worse since ive gotten better since September)

so bla bla bla, thats all their is to anatomy. Study. Boring crap i know, but that also doesn't mean you can't draw from your head once in awhile.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    doing good, just try to make some anatomy studies then and then, will look forward what you cook for sunday

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mischeviouslittleelf: Thanks, great crit. I PMed you about some stuff I wasn't sure about.

My57: Ok, sorry man. Will do some studies.

Nettle_Mountain: Will do Sunday..that's tommorow D: I can't draw creatures for shit

Morning painting I feel quite good about this piece, which probably means it's rubbish lol I can never get the glaze from my pc screen right

Name:  apple ref 2 ca.jpg
Views: 992
Size:  83.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I went out for a bit today and did some shitty speed-drawings. The reasons these are so rough is because they were moving, and my pencil was reaallyy blunt. Other drawings are just meh. I tried painting a roast chicken, but it didn't turn out too well D: I went into detail too early.

Name:  On The Go 1.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  270.3 KB

Name:  On the Go 2.JPG
Views: 968
Size:  257.1 KB

Name:  On the Go 3.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  243.2 KB

Name:  On the Go 4.JPG
Views: 964
Size:  226.6 KB

Name:  On the Go 5.JPG
Views: 967
Size:  235.6 KB

Name:  Cars 1.jpg
Views: 952
Size:  105.9 KB

Name:  Dynamic Poses 31.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  133.2 KB

Name:  Leg Anatomy 3.jpg
Views: 949
Size:  81.8 KB
    I AM AWARE THE LAST LEG IS ULTIMATE TARD!
    Name:  Leg anatomy 2.jpg
Views: 943
Size:  139.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please comment a spoon from life. Really got me thinking about what colours are really there, instead of it all be grey.

Name:  spoon ref ca.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  74.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, nice to see you're improving in colors, and the last digital piece is quiete good But for the spoon it's different. I think you really have to work on a bigger canvas ( around 3000 pixels ) and set your opacity and flow on pressure sensitivity to blend correctly.
    Now, I know that there are some members who are always painting an object on a white background, but I don't think it's a good idea ! You know, a color itself is nothing without another color ! When I started to paint what was around my object for the first time, I was amazed to see that my painting was better than usual, because my lights and shadow were better rendered! When I was painting my object in a blank background, I was thinking in term of colors. Now, I think more in term of light, shadow, reflected light, and other things, and my painting were more alive ! So keep it up ( and sorry, I won't call you kid anymore )

Edit : The prometheus|ANJ's tutorial is awesome, here is the link : tutorial

Last edited by kikindaface; December 7th, 2008 at 11:58 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very young and very talented Keep drawing!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Walid D: Thanks! I'm actually doing all that stuff already (apart from the background colour,) I was just in a hurry, I was going out so it was pretty messed up strokes Here's a more refined version, as far as I can take it at the moment.

Stevan: Thanks

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those muscle studies are really good!
    and your going into color! cool man!! you΄re on your way!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks like you draw a lot, quickly. might be an idea to have a couple of drawings that you spend more time on, in and amongst your studies. seeing as you do some digital stuff as well, might be good practice to get some grayscale studies in, play with describing form with lighting and all that schtuff. anyways, keep on churning stuff out, that spoon painting is already a noticeable step in the right direction.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bigfooTrooper: Hmmm the last leg is retarded, but that took me all day so thanks Yeah diving into colour's been really fun so far.

wookiedabo: Yeah you're right, I do tend to rush a lot of stuff. I might start trying to do bigger longer pieces as you said and I've been meaning to try greyscale for a while, I might try a SP? Cheers

Was meant to have 3 creature designs from last Sunday...I have this and some shitty colour pencil one Is meant to be a view from a plane..

Name:  creature ca.jpg
Views: 910
Size:  121.9 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sam you know I love you. The speedy drawings from life are such a good idea! We gotta go out and do that some time. Cya around school and keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Miles_: I know...but I'd prefer it if you said it more Yeah I hope we get round to that, maybe sometime in the Christmas holidays? Meh it'll be like 2 weeks until you check here again

More stuff from yesterday.

Attempts as design studies.
    Name:  Armour Study 1.jpg
Views: 898
Size:  116.1 KB
    Would be good with a small bonnet.
    Name:  Cars 2.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  127.9 KB
    Final sketch of Dynamic Energy Batman
    Name:  Dynamic Poses 33.jpg
Views: 892
Size:  230.3 KB
    Faces no ref...they're a miserable bunch aren't they
    Name:  Face Studies 12.jpg
Views: 878
Size:  83.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self-Portrait. Not sure about the resemblance. Pretty messy and un-blended, I may take it further

Name:  SP ca.jpg
Views: 895
Size:  49.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the car and the Batman drawing, your rules of perspective are nowhere to be seen. There's no sense of volume or a coherent structure, for example with the car drawing, I can see your initial cuboid, but then it looks like you drew the car in one go. From the first box you should divide it up gradually, working from large to small. If it was a person you would start out by making the legs and the upper(head to hips) region roughly equal and then divide those sections up into head units and other familiar landmarks, all the while paying attention to your own perspective grid or indicators.

The portrait is too small, but looks pretty decent. You are definitely improving when it comes to drawing people and using your tablet. But if you want to invent unusual shapes like cars/buildings/animals... you need to improve your basic perspective and sense of proportion. Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That creature sketch is nice and clean, but colours are little pale. You could boos them up with two tools: selective colout and colour balance, really useful. experiment with that image can you boos colours more with those, could really help with digital paintings (i dont paint anything anymore without those)

And posemaniacs 45-60 second could help i think too

MY SKETCHBOOK IN BIG LETTERS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=116474
    COMPLETE LIST OF THE FORGOTTEN SKETCHBOOKS: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post1992378

sjuskadur is offline Can't talk... eating brains! Level 4 Gladiator: Meridiani
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dude you have mad amazing progress =) loving it!

ps. it was quite funny when i scrolled through the first page.. all those poses and anatomy studies looked like they were a montage ! i thought it was cool... maybe it is just because i have no officially stopped sleeping! ;D haha

later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That creature could use a tad more contrast, it doesn't stand out from the BG. And keep watching those proportions. (Loomis has it wrong btw; real people tend to only be 7 to 7 1/2 heads) Have i told you that you've got good lines?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man Made God: Thanks Perspective has always been a very big gap for me. I understand all the rules yada yada but the image always looks distorted when I use it. Lately I've just been making lines up as I go. It's time to do some perspective studies I guess.

Nettle_Mountain: Hey thanks, it really works And I'm desperately trying to get back into posemaniacs again

sjuskadur: Thanks. That PS made me lol this morning haha.

Walnut: Yeah I think it's recently become stark clear that I need to work on my perspective and proportion My worse fears! Cheers

Not much of an update. Got a big block of traditional stuff to upload. Just playing with the colours as nettle said

Name:  creature ca colourchange.jpg
Views: 851
Size:  127.6 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not really blended, was just trying to get colours and then timed out. Too hard to paint at the moment.. Any ideas what i could paint new? I wanna try plastic.

Name:  blunt knife for ca.jpg
Views: 841
Size:  84.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of yesterdays drawings I really need to buy a scanner for my room. I'm using the scanner-printer combo downstairs, so it involves effort to run up and down, networking placing the files, the scanner is really slow etc etc. And if the whole scanning, moving, resizing, renaming procedure couldn't be made worse, there's the copyright details

I might paint some eyes or something, start doing small parts of the face and piece it together in a no ref face before Christmas.

Name:  Ideas 18.jpg
Views: 850
Size:  55.5 KB
    Urm ignore that perspective attempt
    Name:  Ideas 19.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  111.7 KB

Name:  Leg Anatomy 4.jpg
Views: 839
Size:  90.3 KB

Name:  Leg Anatomy 5.jpg
Views: 846
Size:  82.7 KB

Name:  Metal Studies 1.jpg
Views: 847
Size:  111.5 KB

Name:  Posemaniacs 51.jpg
Views: 836
Size:  126.9 KB

Name:  Posemaniacs 52.jpg
Views: 833
Size:  141.2 KB

Name:  Sports Studies 11.jpg
Views: 840
Size:  104.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for stopping by! You have great stuff comin' along here. It's obvious that you're working hard
    Personally what I think would do you good is if you loosened up a bit. Some of your drawings seem restricted by the fine lines you have. Too many fine lines makes it look less realistic so I'd suggest using shadows to define the masses.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,840 Times in 634 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good to see you studying that much from life! Keep that shit up, you're gonna rule!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks again for the comment in my SB. I really like the progress you're making. And while those studies are good, don't forget to have fun doing it, or you'll get stuck up. Man, you'll be rocking us all in time :c

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    jackpot_anjr90: Yeah, I'm really not sure where to take my lines, will try to use less and see where it takes me

algenpfleger: You came back! Yeah will do

Fshoo: No problem, your work rocks. I always try and make my studies funner by throwing in some photo studies, they're my favorite

Yesterdays stuff
    DSG. Looks like he's falling
    Name:  Depressed Robot.jpg
Views: 806
Size:  128.0 KB

Name:  Female Anatomy 5.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  97.1 KB
    This one's head is tard
    Name:  Female Anatomy 6.jpg
Views: 810
Size:  81.2 KB
    Doodles
    Name:  Ideas 20.jpg
Views: 813
Size:  127.6 KB

Name:  Ideas 21.jpg
Views: 798
Size:  127.2 KB

Name:  Ideas 22.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  85.9 KB
    Posemaniacs. Not enough of them/
    Name:  Posemaniacs 53.jpg
Views: 802
Size:  181.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    An eye.

Last edited by SamC; December 11th, 2008 at 02:36 PM.

The7Artist7 is offline I'll have a double Rocktastic with added awesome please Level 10 Gladiator: Equites
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,290 Times in 551 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ok dude - bare with me if this seems a little simple but to start your perspective study on cars have a go at drawing your own version over what I've done here try to not copy exact or anything but use my pic as ref on a layer below (I've intentionally left a few obvious mistakes in the perspective for you to fix - wing-mirrors, spoiler etc). The aim is to help you visualize your object in 3D space and be creative with the details while obeying the rules of perspective - try to visualize each part of the car in it's own 3D perspective box (don't actually draw each box) but joined to each other rather than the whole car as one big box that needs to be carved away.

Lol hope that makes sense!

Well have a go and when you've done that have a go at doing what I've done but for me to paint over (at the moment lets keep the detail rough and simple) - I personally like to imagine the 2 vanishing points and lines while I sketch out the pic then draw the VPs in and fix up any off perspective in the drawing. This way it helps me not be too boxy and tied down.

You've got a good study ethic - The way I'm hoping to help you get the hang of perspective should help you with your anatomy too. It's all about getting a picture in your head and seeing the structure of individual parts of the whole, then getting a feel for the placement of those in your own imagination's virtual 3D space.

Have fun and lemme know any perspective specifics you struggle with.

Cheers

Edit: that black line across the top isn't the horizon line - it's just the edge of my drawing area in Adobe Illustrator

Page 5 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 55 ... LastLast