Sketchbook: Training montage- Updated January 20th 2013 - Page 2
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast

Thread: Training montage- Updated January 20th 2013

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man! It´s good that you´re doing poses!! keep those coming! you´re also not afraid of divin in new stuff! like the enviro or digital stuff in general!
    and already improvement in those poses! damn, did more than I ever did so far…gotta do some soon!you´re well on your way and you´re 14…%) I thought I was a young member=) keep it coming
    cheers

••• Φ •••

Nettle_Mountain - walnut - SamC - Walid D - Nrx - Dilated - FraserMcT
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BigfooTrooper: Haha I'm actually terrified of diving into new stuff, but I'm going to have to some time, right? Thanks dude, I'll keep checking up on your SB

Yey second page!! Ergh WIP environment. Pretty washed out and didn't capture the rocks well, you can tell which bits aren't done. Need to develop a cleaner style, but I don't have the patience for detail just yet.

-Sam

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

hey again!
    about the enviro!: I think you go too soon into detail…try to simply block in colors with big brush before using such small brushes! draw from ref!
    look into some tutorials and don´t worry about detail…enviros can llok great with a rather low amount of detail !
    keep going
    cheers

••• Φ •••

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BigfooTrooper: Yeah I do block out colours with a large brush first, but like you said I dive into tiny brushes too early. I need to try slowly downgrading the size of the brush. I am working from ref at the moment, been digging around but can't find many tutorials you know any?

-Sam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, take a look at these:
    http://www.itchstudios.com/psg/tuts/process.jpg
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...hlight=bumskee
    Digital painting in general; should help you!! there are thousands! of others! and I´m sure there are no tuts specific for enviros! if you know one, tell me ;-)
    cheers

••• Φ •••

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bigfooTrooper: Thanks those links are helpful! Made a pretty crummy onion digital but it was too rubbish for me to even bother saving

Back to school so less posts maybe now. Feel the gesture is slowly coming..and my women are starting to not look like men

-Sam

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey! nice to see your dropped by mine. I would recommend looking at "Drawing The Head & Figure" By Jack Hamm

www.scribd.com

that site may have a PDF of it.

and i would recommend as well:

"Dynamic Figure Drawing" By Burne Hogarth

-----

these are good books for drawing. i would recommend reading the first book that i said above. its good for beginners and then read the second book by Hogarth, as it has more detail on the body.

My observational skills may be great but i said nothing about my drawing skills

My Blog/Tumblr

My Sketchbook - College Years

My Sketchbook - High School

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Please comment on my deviant art I need friends T-T
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    BUY MY SHIRTS PLEASE - They're awesome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My57: I already have the Hogarth book. I got Drawing the Head and Figure, it's fairly standard, all I really learnt was for women to use two triangles instead of an 8. Not sure I'm ready to move on to Hogarth yet, his books are more about developing style on a foundation, I think I need to work on the basics a bit more. Thanks for the recommendations.

Gesture is coming along I think. Tell me what you think. And by the way, the sloppy ones are done in 30 seconds, I'm not usually that bad

-Sam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Sam, I can already see some big porgress here!

Good pose work and good to see the face studies, keep those up and try to draw from life too.
    As for the digital's try to keep on trucking, but I;d say you should focus on the sketches and pencil work for now,

Great strat mate, keep it up!

matt,

:
    In the absence of light, dark will prevail.

see my NEW sketchbook[UPDATED] http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=123027
    Trained by...
    http://www.thedrawingstudio.co.nz/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have lots of talent Sam, and you're going great. Getting some good crits. I think you're trying to cover too much ground right now. I'd concentrate on say, getting your body proportions spot on, hands and feet. I draw them over and over and over. Watch your lines, make them neater less sketchy. You're doing good for your age, keep practising, good work.

My57 is offline I will live forever or DIE TRYING! Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jack Hamm is a book for beginners man, thats why i recommended it for ya ^_^

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JailHouseRock: Thanks man! I think I'm definitely going to get good at everything else before trying digital seriously.

doncam: Cheers, it means a lot. I definitely feel quite stretched in terms of the variety that I'm learning, but I'm worried about not building a solid foundation on something now and have to go back to do it later. My lines are getting quite sloppy recently, I need to concentrate on those more. Thanks for the great crit!

My57: Ok

Today and yesterday's stuff so far. Will post some 30 second posemaniacs later. First is for a DSG and the other is just some practise at anatomy, gesture, proportion and costume.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The posemaniacs as promised, each done in 30 seconds

Last edited by SamC; November 5th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dude. I seriously want you to look at that Jack Hamm Book. The best book for the female body. or at least a good one.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My57: Firstly, I think you need to make your comments a tad more subtle, your last was verging on being plain rude. Secondly, I've flicked through the section on drawing the female body and it's basically regurgitations of more important books that I'm reading like Loomis and Bridgeman. At the weekend, I'll do like 5 pages of female anatomy to try and get over the problem, if this satisfies your 'urges.' Still thanks for raising the issue.

Drew more from life got some ideas down and did more posemaniacs

-Sam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well your other comment kinda ignored the other book. I mean you just commented on the Hogarth book and said nothing on the other. Sorry but i thought you didn't bother with the other book, and when i said "seriously want you to look at that Jack Hamm Book." i was just trying to push you to look at it xD sorry about that.

I should have said: Did you look at Jack Hamms book? i would recommend it if you didn't, sorry to bring this up again. but you didn't say anything in the last comment about it.

Sorry for the rudeness.

My Blog/Tumblr

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My57: No harm done

Really feel my gesture is coming together First guy's lower torso is waay too long.

-Sam

Last edited by SamC; November 7th, 2008 at 01:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When you're laying down the gesture, you can indicate the orientation of the hips and upper torso/shoulders by drawing simple straight lines. It's pretty useful to observe when they are in opposition, a small tilt in the vertical position of the hips can tell a lot about the weight distribution on each leg. And when the upper and lower torso are in strong opposition, one side of the torso stretches and the other compresses. It sounds basic, but just some stuff to look out for.

You're doing great, the posemaniacs quick studies are great for getting a feel for gesture. Once you get a little more confident, you can try drawing people around you very quickly in a gesture kinda way. Something I need to start doing more...

EDIT: One more thing. I noticed you're getting used to using longer sweeping lines for the full body. This is great, but make sure you rework it on your second pass, because the legs in some of those drawings are following the curve a little too closely. For the most part it's looking good. Keep it up!

Last edited by Man Made God; November 7th, 2008 at 02:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man, you are improving really fast. Everything looks better ! Try to make some blind contours ( drawing without seeing what you draw, and without lifting the pencil ! ) Everyday !! Of course, it will suck, but you wil be more confident with your line ! I always draw my hand When I make blind contours . Try to also draw some straight lines, circles, ellipses,Will improve your line quality. Be careful with proportions ! Always be sure that proportions are right before puting values. Really wanna see a bit more studies !! Draw what you see, paint what you see, people, enviros, you desk, your hand, everything, everywhere, until you will be a killer ! Study perspective, composition, color theory, design, .... You've started studying anatomy and it's great !! So keep it up and have fun !!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Man Made God: Thanks for the great crit, all taken on board and (hopefully) applied.

Walid D: Inspiritational speach man haha. Blind contours are strange but overall very interesting. Will follow your demands to the letter

Today's stuff. Fucked up hands are blind contours (read Walid D's comment) the rest is fairly self-explanatory.

-Sam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Another rubbishy environment. I think I'll go back to painting fruit and vegetable..

~Sam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Self-Portrait. This thread is getting lonely... Anyone know how to add text below my attatchment?

-Sam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nice work

Hey. I see nice bit of improvement throughout this thread already!

One thing I notice with your gestures is you seem to be focusing very much on the "outline" of the body, which can get them kinda' out of proportion and make the lines messier. Focusing on the feeling and movement of the body should create a more flowing figure.

Now, I'm not very good yet, but I find vilppu to have an excellent guide on gesture drawing. Here's a link: http://www.awn.com/mag/issue3.3/3.3p...pudrawing.html

Oh, and about your picture attachments and getting them directly in your posts: you attach them with the attachment manager but then you go back up to your message and click the 'Attachments' paperclip icon and click attach all (I think that's what it's called. . .). Then you can write around your attachments.

Hope this helps!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Not bad my friend, when you render something, try making all the lines follow the form of the surface you are rendering. Don't just do the strokes in any direction, have them describe the form, I hope I'm making sense as it is quite hard to explain. Just PM me if you want a fuller explanation.

Also in PS trying messing around with the brush settings to get a more varied result and some more interesting textures. Keep experimenting and draw every day. That is the most vital bit, if you are drawing every day and studying also, you will improve. Its all a matter of time cya around dude, if I get some money together I'll tag along with you and John this Friday. Oh and you should come over with a sketchbook sometime, do some life drawing,

take care,

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like. The Bridgman studies are paying off, you can see the difference in the way you draw hands already. Going in the right direction, keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm really sorry for not updating today. I got home from a really bad day of school and felt so so sick, I'll post my drawings from yesterday and reply properly to posts tommorow. Gonna get some sleep now -.-

-Sam

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies man keep those up!
    And as you told yourself a while ago try some dynamic pose

Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Foolsauce: Thanks for the crit. I've been linked to Vilppu before, it's helpful. It's so hard to capture movement and feeling from a still photo. I need to work from life more.

Miles: Now that you say that I notice on the portrait in this latest stuff seems slanted because all the lines go in the same way, I will be sure to change that. I'm currently using Opencanvas because the colour selector has Hue Saturation and Value bars, which is the great, but it lacks the great features PS has. PS uses R G B colour selector, which is really annoying to use. Do you know anyway to change it to a HSV selector? And yeah, if you tell me when your free I'll come round with a sketchbook some time Hopefully see you Friday.

Fshoo: Thanks man!

Grizzliman: Will do, thanks!

None of the crit has been applied yet because this stuff was made on Saturday. The fucked up hands are, again, blind contours, when you don't look at the paper, only the subject.

Name:  Blind Contour 2.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  88.1 KB

Name:  Dynamic Poses 9.jpg
Views: 1143
Size:  90.9 KB

Name:  Face Studies 6.jpg
Views: 1082
Size:  144.3 KB
    Back on Bridgeman.
    Name:  Hand Study 8.jpg
Views: 1068
Size:  77.5 KB

Name:  Hand Study 9.jpg
Views: 1071
Size:  87.4 KB
    I think this is my best piece so far
    Name:  Ideas 6.jpg
Views: 1067
Size:  103.8 KB

Name:  Posemaniacs 24.jpg
Views: 1062
Size:  109.6 KB

Name:  Posemaniacs 25.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  115.3 KB

Name:  Posemaniacs 23.jpg
Views: 1064
Size:  112.6 KB

Vehkt is offline Love me now, love me forever! Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're really working hard with those studies And as others have said you can indeed see the improvement they bring to your drawings.

Age wise you've got a nice head start on loads of us, keep it up!

. t h o s e . w h o . d r i n k . t h e . d a r k .

The-SSG-That-Shall-Not-Be-Named:
    Vehkt ~ Spaztastic ~ Realitychek ~ Lakeland ~ Shannanigan ~
    Me, Myself & Me Again

Thanks
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 370 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/att...1&d=1226411567 This to me shows the most improvement so far. Remeber that when you are doing thos posemaniacs, don't focus so much on thr outline of the figure, but more the individual shapes of different muscles groups and limbs, really try to think about volume.

Well, if we go see max payne on friday, we'll arrange to meet on sunday or something, I'm out at a friends party saturday. Cya then, oh and friday all relies on me getting some money together :{

Page 2 of 84 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 52 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 96