zombies! a giraffe! laser glasses!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

zombies! a giraffe! laser glasses!

Hey!
    This is my current WIP for school. We're supposed to use 5 random objects to create a composition so we decided to pick those object for each other. I have: zombies, giraffe, laser glasses, 'go' sign, myself.
    This is what I've come up with.
    Any tips on how I can improve it are welcome since this painting is still in development.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Definitely like the originality of it, a lot of the zombies look good and I like the shading and composition of the guy on the giraffe

But a couple of things strike me as odd, the zombie in the right corner seems to have some perspective issues, it looks like much of his upper body, lower body and head are viewed from different angles

I also couldn't help but notice that the guy on the giraffe only has 4 fingers on his right hand

Lastly, I would do more to emphasize the lazer, it just doesn't stand out as much as a lazer should, which makes the guy look more like he's adjusting his glasses rather than doing an x-men style eye lazer blast

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    The first thing that I notice (other than the anatomy problems in the zombies and the giraffe) is that zombie hanging off it's neck. I am not sure that an undead creature would be able to hold on to something bucking that hard.

It also think that some atmosphere would add to the piece. Knock the farther trees back some.

The laser beam doesn't work at all. The beam slightly overlaps his knee, and completely overlaps the giraffe, but doesn't overlap the torso or face at all. It looks like it is coming from behind his back instead of out of his glasses.

Thanks
    I really like what youve got so far. My advice would be to ramp up the action in the piece even more. I'd start with a lot more zombies. That small of a crowd just isn't as threatening as it could be. The guy on the giraffe looks like he is in the process of jumping off of its back which seems like the last thing he would want to do. The Go sign just doesnt really make any sense. Its just a random nonsensical sign in the middle of the woods. My suggestion for this would be to make it a stop sign that has had GO spray painted over it. I would also put it in the guy's hand. Maybe even have him bashing some zombie's head with it. You could make the giraffe kicking a zombie as well. In my opinion any piece with zombies should work in as many exploding heads as possible haha. Anyway i agree with Bai Fan about the laser. All that said this is a sweet concept. Im really psyched to see how this turns out.

Thanks

Thanks
    Brilliant!
    Don't stop now!

Have you considered Giraffes as Zombies?
    Toy's R Us for the location of the final showdown?

I'm eager to see where it goes from here.

Thanks
    How about having the go sign sticking out of one of the zombies like it died in an accident while fleeing other zombies and got impaled when it flew out the front window of the car.

Thanks
    LOL this is such a fun image! I definitely agree with Bai Fan's opinion on depth. Another thing that stood out to me is the kid in the front - the wrinkles on his shirt seems a bit off, and it sticks out because it's so close to the viewer. Wrinkles are very tricky. It might be helpful to find refs for it.

Thanks
    Also, I wasn't going to say anything but what is up the the giraffe's hind legs?

Thanks
    Thanks for all your suggestions!
    Here's the new progress shot. As you can see I've started coloring.
    I also got rid of some of those tangents. I didn't even notice those at all! Thanks Bai Fan!
    The reason why you couldn't see the laser is pretty simple: i hadn't painted it yet
    Straight Edge Ryan: that finger is there, it's just very small (see attachment).

Thanks
    I think it's almost finished now! I'm probably only going to add some clouds and footprints.

Thanks
    The colors are lookng good. Just a thought, but I find that the stop/go sign is a bit distracting from the focus of the piece.

Thanks
    Ok, those aren't the colors that I pictured, but to each his own. It is a lot cheerier than I would have thought.

It kind of looks like he was going out to chop down a tree for his christmas party because all of the orphan children needed something to sing carols around... when he was attacked.

Really more cheery than the zombie images I have seen in the past.

I think you should ditch that concept of the go sign. maybe have a broken sign and the only letters left are "go". That would still be a go sign and would make more sense.

Might try adding snow falling. You could do that in layers between the characters and that would add some gloom and depth at the same time.

Thanks
    Heheh,looks quite cool but just to remind you for the future,the girafe animal got loonger neck while shorter body and when you work with perspective,dont forget to add larger shoulders.Like the zombie on right looks with its arm like it got no shoulder.

Hmmm white snow... i say,you could add there dark footprints and blood and to give the image more motion you could add more flying snow kicked by the girafe and that flying zombie into the air

I think The walking Dead comic would be just right for you >;3

You do not have to take to your heart what i say! It is just my opinion

Thanks
    Man oh man I can't wait for the 4th hardback. I am enjoying it... although I am getting tired of so much human screwing over human and would like to get back to the zombie menace.

Mwa ha ha ha
    can't flippin wait

Thanks
    Ok, here's pretty much the finished painting. I can't decide on where to put the go sign, so here's both versions.
    Thank you all for your input!

Thanks
    I like the sign placement better, but think that the bar should be more covered with snow... so it is not ending right at the other zombie.

There are still a bunch of tangents though and I still think that you should knock back that far tree with some atmosphere. This might be a cool piece to (after you have saved it) try some falling snow effects with.

Thanks
    Thanks again Bai Fan!
    I did some minor changes on it and this is the final image. I might play around with it some more at some point in the future but for now this is what i'm handing in.

Thanks
    I would also get rid of those glove flaps. The right hand one looks ok, but his left hand one... I thought it was a broken finger (holding on the giraffe)

Thanks
    Oh yea, I forgot to say that it is looking better.

Good job.

If you decide to keep working it, there are other things that could help it improve. Post it up again.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.