Question about Wacom Cintiq
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question about Wacom Cintiq

Hello everybody,

I...hope to be in the right forum section...

I have been searching a lot in the forum, so to not disturb with questions...But I find no answer to my doubt...

I see many Cintiq users here...I know am such a paranoid with health issues, but I was wondering if somebody thinks like me, that there could be health risk, as it is actually putting your hand over a TFT(and face/body quite near) during like 8 hours a day... I mean, I've read a bit at Wacom's site, seems it's just that: a tft with a wacom pen working on it... I know the disminishing emission compared to a CRT, but still it emits. The other, the electromagnetic radiations, I guess are the same than any intuos or graphire.

I am a traditional drawing person, and while know ok to draw with Graphires and Intuos (many years, in game and design jobs, though I am merely a grunt with these machines) I always felt way better with direct to paper stuff..I am just bad inking. So I think I may take advantage of the easy-to-fix digital advantage for inks... (not into a super high quality output, but am too slow to get a decent one with my Wacoms.(graphire at work, intuos at home) . I can deal it, but I'm just practically sure would improve speed a lot with Cintiq. )

The thing is am practically sure I'd be like 50 or 60% faster with a Cintiq. And am in a point where that'd be really important...

Thank's in advance, and excuse the paranoia ...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I own a Cintiq and as far I know it doesn't have health issues. There are a lot of warnings in the manual, but nothing about don't putting your hand on the screen for to long. If you search with google for "cintiq manual" you can download the manual for free.

When I use it a LOT of hours the screen gets a little warm sometimes, but I'm more afraid of damaging the Cintiq than my health.

To me it looks like you put your hand on a glass plate and the "actual" screen is beyond that. If you look closely there is a pretty big gap between your hand and the actual artwork.(not like pen and paper)

Also, Cintiqs are made for professionals, not amateurs. So Wacom probably tested it to use a lot of hours each day. I also have trust in a company like Wacom that they did a lot of tests with it.

So, I don't think you have to be afraid. And yes, it really speeds up the work. For me it also makes the work more fun, also very important

http://www.nancyzonneveld.nl
    - illustrations, animations & games -

3. The Following User Says Thank You to nancy_kelpie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a million, nancy_kelpie !

A very good answer, indeed, there were some more doubts and things I was wondering about, that you even adressed in your post !

I may be quite near now to purchase it, as I have an strong feeling it will increase quite my workflow speed, and probably it will feel better, for the level of control.

Thanks a lot

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think it would probably be comparable to using a laptop in large amounts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I use both... now I'm worried

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think a cell phone is more harmfull... it's a fact that the radations (or whatever you call them in english. My main language isn't english so it's hard to talk about technical stuff) in cellphones are very bad to cary close to your body the whole day every day. Yet, so many people still do it.

A Cintiq prevends RSI btw, so at least it prevends you from 1 disease

http://www.nancyzonneveld.nl
    - illustrations, animations & games -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a Biochem/Pre-med major for 4 years before turning to art, and I can assure you that using a Cintiq is not going to cause any more harm than any other electronic device. Which is to say, it's not going to make you sick in the slightest.

It will make you much faster, though. So if that's something that will be advantageous for you, then go for it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yes, I quite probably will. Thanks again for the advice. I'm of those who even the cellphones, look for that number/value,(kilo calories something, I don't remember) and purchase it considering the lowest values as an extra factor to consider...I know it's silly. The concern here was that.. While I have always in my table a recorder, external disc, router, tower, speakers, scanner (a bit farer) and the tft...the fact is when I draw I loose total notion of time. And tend to draw very tight (while a distance good for the vision) to the "materials" , and many hours. Unlike I do with any other device (a keyboard is definitely not emitting any harmful thing that I know..)

The advantage I see on cintiq is that while during years been working as designer and game artwork grunt, using wacom (colouring,pixel art, etc) and mouse, now am happily more into pure illustration, and need steady, expresive and fast accurate lines , for line art and comics. Also that as a traditional artist in the origin, I find it a pleasure to draw that way. And most of all, any sort of speed increase is more than important for my future projects. I want to do mainly webcomics and illustrations, and both allow the inking stage ideal to be made with cintiq instead of my intuos.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't wan't to scare you (yes I do) - but you need to look into entropy my friend. It is slowly happening to you right now. Time itself is causing your body to move from a state of low disorder to a state of high disorder. It is the price of being alive. I would say repetitive stress and eye strain are far more likely when you draw 8 hours a day. That plus the stress of deadlines and bad food.

btw I wouldn't trust the advice of anybody who has an avatar of an ewok petting a kid.

Last edited by macmcrae; April 1st, 2010 at 12:55 PM.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.