Help with lighting, ect.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Help with lighting, ect.

Hello there, I'm not new here - I'm actually rather old... well - not old. But I've had a previous account here before b the name of ikor. Anyways, forgot my password or was hacked - either way I'm here to start anew!

Out of boredom i sketched this in class, so there is a lot anatomically wrong with it, which is actually being fixed throughout the process of coloring it. I normally don't do painted images on photoshop and this kind of lighting isn't my forte either, but I decided to step out of the box and give it a go.

Here are a few images of the progress on this image.

I'm going to fix his left hand to look like it's actually stroking the dead rabbit as well as better align his right eye. I think from applying pressure on that eye, which he's doing with his right arm, you'd still see the lower eye pocket like you do in the left one. I'm going to look in the mirror and take photos of myself using my webcam to make sure that I've got the anatomical tension right in the applied areas. As for his shoulder, I actually tried out his position and I mine were more sloped, so that's what the white lines signify. However I think it would be good to have his shoulders arched to equal the eager/pleased activity seen in his lower lip.

Idk - haha. Any critique would be awesome! The background and foreground will be added in last. I know you're supposed to do either the background or foreground first (normally background) but I didn't think I'd get this involved in this piece.

Anyways, thanks in advance! Sorry if some of this is incoherent - I'm in a rush.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Also going to add in more wrinkles in his upper brow. Another question, do you think his flesh should have more colors besides the warm ones? I added in a little blue and purple to try and give it more life, but I'm still unsure as to whether or not it's effective or not. Opinions on that as well are more than welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is he hugging a dead rabbit?

I would say choose a light source and draw lines to show what would be in light and what would be in shadow.

The line between his eyebrow and hairline seems the most unbelievable and distracting to me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

@Bai Fan

Yup.

You mean do a rough of where the lighting would be before start coloring and placing it?

Yea, that part hasn't been touched, I've actually been avoiding it because I'm not sure how to execute that part of it, but I'll work on it tonight and see what I come up with!

Thanks for the critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Warden W#2

Wip #2, haven't had much time to do much else with this since I've posted. Added in his pupil and kind of made the tip of his nose softer, it had a harder edge to it that I didn't like. Anyways, I'm in the process of re sketching his arm so it can interact more with the dead rabbit and give it a look as though he's actually stroking it.

Still got a long way to go, but I'll get it done!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Made some progress this weekend! Fixed his hand posture so it looks a little more coherent with the rest of his body and as though he's caressing the rabbit with thought and enjoyment.

Also gave his right eye more pressure underneath the lid, still not sure if the perspective is completely correct on it, but that can easily be fixed later on. I'll be doing a gray scale on the rest of his anatomy to make sure the lighting is right before I start coloring things in.

Haha, I know I'm going to have to study the reflections of glasses in this kind of lighting to capture it accurately. Just because I can picture how it's supposed to be in my head doesn't mean I'll get it right on paper - haha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm thinking I should move his ear in a little closer, looks too far away to me. Either way, it's coming along slowly but surely.

Wont be able to do much with the image this week since a lot of my projects are due, but I'll be starting it back up again once I do have more time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i liked it better when he had no pupils. it gave the whole "im hugging a dead rabbit" more sense... but awesome piece!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 5coop View Post
    i liked it better when he had no pupils. it gave the whole "im hugging a dead rabbit" more sense... but awesome piece!
    Haha, I guess I can see what you're talking about there. At one point I thought about rolling his eyes back in his head as though he's getting a high off doing it. But for some reason I decided to keep them the way they are now.

Thanks for the suggestion though! Really appreciate it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.