recent work

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: recent work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

recent work

Last edited by ceruleanvii; November 8th, 2009 at 03:56 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i love your artwork, they're really stunning. could you please share with me some tutorials?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The second from the bottom one, like all of the others, is amazing. It just doesn't look as finished as the others though. I had another window open that coincidentally blocked everything but his hair and his hand. Look at his hand then his hair, i thought you digitally drew hair onto a photograph. So i think you can work a bit more on his hair if you want. I noticed that the hair on your other work is more detailed than this one.

On the other hand, having the hair not as detailed as the rest of the image attracts my eye to the anatomy of the figure. So if that was your intention the well done.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In the top one, he doesn't appear to be looking directly at the viewer and it seems a bit odd, but maybe you meant to do that. The left rear of his head also seems off, like there's too much volume back there.

Did you use any references? The face seems the same in a lot of them.

Sketchbook Support Group
    Earendil Jussi Tarvainen Reidaj

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eyes

yes, eyes, they hold all the real power, it's the soul we are all really interested, knowing, seeing if someone is home, watching us, aware..
    ~M

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Damn, these look pretty neat. The second one is the weakest I think, you need to do more to establish the distance between the window and the buildings in the background. Other than that, the head in the first drawing is too small and the eyes don't line up.

Really neat looking work otherwise, love that 5th figure study (hands especially).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find the facial expression in the first piece a little bit disconcerting. It just doesnt seem like a face anybody would be making while holding a light saber type device. The expressions in the 3rd and 4th pieces are much more compelling. really fantastic work though man. I could really use some pointers if you feel like critiquing someone else in this forum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -----

Last edited by ceruleanvii; November 8th, 2009 at 03:58 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    You think it is possible to post sketches too just to see your process? It might give us a better idea on what to critique, because while we can tell you what's wrong in the end result, seeing how you get there may give us better insight too.

I noticed you posted your DA site on another post, but I'd still like to see base sketches to help.

Last edited by Arshes Nei; October 22nd, 2008 at 12:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -----

Last edited by ceruleanvii; November 8th, 2009 at 04:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by ceruleanvii View Post
    I paint-sketch more than I draw-sketch, I have an easier time blocking out form than delineating with line. I'm still trying to figure out if that's a bad thing?
    Mmm I guess it depends... it's good to do both just for different methods of accuracy and experiments but, I've done a lot of the block-in and paint vs doing linework myself. You may want to do some linework in this case if you're looking to fix grounding issues. Draw a bit of perspective grids in so you can figure out the plane your figure sits on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For pictures 1 and 3 - can we say toned, girly men much? Maybe it's just me, but they just seem too feminine. The first image - face and the super-low pants. The 3rd - I guess it's the lips and the atmosphere in general.

But you've got mad skills I wish I could ever, EVER have. Like someone mentioned, if you've got tutorials, just ANY, please let me know.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Shortydiva View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but they just seem too feminine.
    No such thing.

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool, the last one and the starwars pin up are my favorites, really beatifull work.

my crit whould probebly be the lack of contrast, you could probebly push the contrast on some of these more.

Last edited by Lotet; October 31st, 2008 at 09:06 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your Arch Window is awkward. The side faces of the intrados and imposts aren't rendered well and is costructed in a weak perspective that it doesn't look convincingly 3d.

Last edited by waranghira; October 30th, 2008 at 12:13 PM. Reason: week - weak

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Listen ceruleanvii, your work is very very good. It's solid, excellent compositions, well painted, and interesting to look at. Really you should have posted your work in the "Finally Finished" section. I think you should be moved over there. The only reason people are making critiques on your work is because you're in the "critique" section. So everyone is trying to find something wrong, which is always hard on people new to the site and also people who are very talented. So excellent work and keep it up.

Waranghira: Not well rendered? I think you're wrong. There is a good composition here, a nice range of values, and a good light source. The painting technique is good. The only thing I would agree with you on is the perspective. Clearly the horizon line is lower than the angle the base of the window is showing, but it's fixable. But to say that it's not rendered well is flat out incorrect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I'm looking for critique, general or specific, on how to improve... and where to go next. Thanks -

Del
    Quote Originally Posted by corspufo View Post
    Listen ceruleanvii, your work is very very good. It's solid, excellent compositions, well painted, and interesting to look at. Really you should have posted your work in the "Finally Finished" section. I think you should be moved over there. The only reason people are making critiques on your work is because you're in the "critique" section. So everyone is trying to find something wrong, which is always hard on people new to the site and also people who are very talented. So excellent work and keep it up.
    It might help to read what the OP said.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great figures man, your work reminds me a lot of this guy: http://www.weshempel.com/

Representing Ringling College of Art and Design Class 2012

Blog
    (its pretty rad)

Current Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Earendil View Post
    No such thing.

My only critique is somewhat dependent on what you're going for.

If you are looking towards pursuing a concept art career, then yeah, there is definitely such a thing as too feminine IF that's the only thing you are familiar with/capable of. Which probably isn't the case here, but just making the point. The art community is absolutely saturated with artists who draw extremely effeminate men and there doesn't seem to be a high demand for it outside of DA. I'm not saying don't do it by any means. As an artist you have to draw whatever inspired you. If you were inspired by David Hasselhoff in a corset and fishnets, I would still say go for it. Just make sure you don't get trapped into being able to draw only that if you want to pursue a career in concept art. There are a lot of Linda Bergkvist-inspired artists who focus on working up a hyper-realistic style focused on drawing beautiful male characters and don't venture outside of that.

However, if you're just painting for recreation, then its a non-issue.

That said, your rendering skills are great. There are a few things here and there that have already been mentioned, but overall you have a solid grasp on anatomy, color, and composition. Also I want that Star Wars picture as a poster.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You make a good point, however, I just want to clarify, that's not my artwork up there.

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by corspufo View Post
    Waranghira: Not well rendered? I think you're wrong. There is a good composition here, a nice range of values, and a good light source. The painting technique is good. The only thing I would agree with you on is the perspective. Clearly the horizon line is lower than the angle the base of the window is showing, but it's fixable. But to say that it's not rendered well is flat out incorrect.
    The textured rendering on the sides looks flat, it doesn't look like its actually rusticated which is what he's aiming for. And I was only talking about the Arch window itself, not the background. There's something wrong on the perspective of the Arch window alone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    no crit, gorgeous works wanna see more
    Thanks for posting the wip pics too - the only thing I miss is the sketches from the earlier stages of work - I'd love to see how you start working on these pieces (also the wips you posted are sooooo small...)

"Try again, fail again,
    fail better!"
    Samuel Beckett
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks for the additional comments guys! I thought this thread was dead so I hadn't been checking up on it.

I agree about the arch window picture - I like the color and lighting, but I know there's something off about the perspective, both foreground and background. Now if I only knew exactly what, then I'd fix it. That's my big problem, perspective. I just don't get it, but I'll keep working on it - thanks all for the suggestions.

And thanks corspufo, chachia, equality, norbert, and shortydiva for the encouraging words! Nice to know it's not all that bad. The main reason I posted all this here is, I'm trying to figure out what to do with myself. Right now I paint for fun, so I paint what I like - hence my guys . I want to improve my art, but at the same point I'm always asking myself exactly why I'm driving myself like this. Do I want to pursue this as a career, do I have the skills to even contemplate such a thing? I know it'll be tough, and when I see the amazing artists on this site I am both inspired and discouraged.

Anyway, probably more than you wanted or cared to know - but I appreciate you all taking the time to look and add your comments!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oh, some people asked - tutorials - I don't have much, but I did make some on the things I really like doing: painting hair, and texturing skin (drives me crazy to see a beautifully painted character with plastic looking like a barbie doll). These are both big .jpg files, they're on my DA account.

http://ceruleanvii.deviantart.com/ar...orial-99240930

http://ceruleanvii.deviantart.com/ar...in-PS-99820882

and here are WIPS for a figure paintings, starting in greyscale and moving to color.

http://ceruleanvii.deviantart.com/ar...o-fin-97772088

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Problem Pointed Out

I agree about the arch window picture - I like the color and lighting, but I know there's something off about the perspective, both foreground and background. Now if I only knew exactly what, then I'd fix it. That's my big problem, perspective. I just don't get it, but I'll keep working on it - thanks all for the suggestions.
    ok, it came to me what the problem was (i always had some idea, but now more specifically)

Name:  correctedsky_and_stone_by_ceruleanvii.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  105.2 KB

I connected all the parallel lines from the slips between the intrados sides of the voussoirs and the edge of the base of the imposts.

What we can see is they barely meet at a vanishing point and the areas where they meet are far from the horizon.

You gotta learn the logic behind your perspective, dude.
    that's all, hope this helps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks waranghira, yeah, I can see that, and it helps - (btw, it is irrelevant to the discussion, but I'm not a dude )

But it was also mentioned by corspufo that the whole horizon line should be lowered? I was going for hills back there, but they're probably too small in scale.

So the whole thing is screwed.

Well, I should be getting a whole lot of practice with perspective in the next few weeks, so hopefully the next thing I attempt will make more sense !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks waranghira, yeah, I can see that, and it helps - (btw, it is irrelevant to the discussion, but I'm not a dude )

But it was also mentioned by corspufo that the whole horizon line should be lowered? I was going for hills back there, but they're probably too small in scale.

So the whole thing is screwed.

Well, I should be getting a whole lot of practice with perspective in the next few weeks, so hopefully the next thing I attempt will make more sense !
    s'ok, i sometimes call girls dude, too.

so horizon lowered? its ok if you fixed the vanishing point to the horiozon accordingly, that also means repositioning the lines I've pointed out.
    'Cause you see, the only parallel lines that don't meet in 1 and 2 point perspectives are the height lines. That is fixed on the 3 and higher points, where they do meet somewhere.
    Your work for the arch window is kinda 1 point, so the parallel lines pointing out to the scape should also meet in the horizon.

Perspective is one thing, your rendering on those stones against sunlight is another. It may pass if it was a patterned/stained marble and the light was kinda diffused, but not for rusticated stones.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I recommend Loomis' Successful Drawing as he covers perspective in great detail.

You can download the PDF here.

Sketchbook Support Group

~Hope~

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    your rendering skills are superb! for some reason I want to go listen to Hanson now.
    The expression-less face on the the first one ruins the entire piece. He looks like he is in the middle of something meaningful ( battle, realization,etc) but he is day dreaming about travel speeds of various types of snail. The angel wings are not believable, they attach weirdly to the guy. I also agree with the perspective comments as well.

nice works, keep at it!

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the third one from the top and the last one the best! They are so different in style, but both have very nice colours. (The sketchyness of the last pic is also a very nice contrast to your other pieces.)

That combination of fresh light blue sky and orange leaves is beautiful in october.jpg. (He is also the boy I like the most... His hair looks so soft!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.