Fine Arts Degree...

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Fine Arts Degree...

I am a junior at a liberal arts college perusing a degree in fine arts. When I started school, I decided to go with art because it was something I've always been into, and I really wanted to become an illustrator, or do something along those lines. I've gotten really "good" at traditional drawing and am working on my painting skills, but I learn very little form the teachers and classes, and have found more valuable information in books and on the internet. My professors are extremely nice and most of them see where Im coming from, but they have no clue as to helping me peruse my dreams. My professors tell me that I should probably transfer and try to get into a program that is suited to what I am looking for. I've already invested 2.5 years at this school (which is in my home town) and think if I move all that I have done here would be for nothing, and I will be far from the people I know and all of that seems frightening. Also, I am now 21 and think that to start over now would just not be good. I don't know, I guess I'm seeking advice form people who have been in this situation before in hopes I can make a decision based on their stories.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Do you know how to post your work? It would help to see exactly whet you've taught yourself.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Spending two yrs at a college is not "for nothing." Generally speaking those credits should transfer.

As far as moving away? I did not personally have to do that, but you do have to figure that day will come anyway. If not, it's only 2 yrs and then you can move back home if that's what you want.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know a good bit about the kind of situation that your in. I myself was in it through college and regret the fact that I fell into it. What comes to mind is the old phrase . . . "pain is only temporary."

Its going to be rough at first being seperated from your family and friends but in the end it will make you a stronger person. Not just your Illustration Ability but also your character.

I chose to stay close to home and the price I had to pay in exchange for being close to home was my art. My professors helped me the best that they could but none of them really had any experiance when it came to concept art and illustration. Most of them had backgrounds in the more traditional fine arts and because of this all that I could really learn about the fields were from personal experiance searching through old books, DVD commentaries and the internet. I was able to make a few connections to some major studios but I'm sure that if I had gone to a more specialized school my industry contacts would have been even broader.

Basically what I am driving at is that if you have the skills and the ability financially, at your disposal, to go to a school where you could specialize in your Dream . . . then do it. Your family and friends will be there when you get back. It's the sacrifices that you make that make things worthwhile in the end.

I'm among those artists who are trying really hard to make it into the industry but because of a combination of a few weaker abilities and location, I am at a disadvantage . . . it's a bad situation to know that your only realistic chance to make it is to go back to school, the school you should have gone to in the first place!

Again, the desicion in the end is going to be a very personal one but you'll make the right choice. I hope I didn't discourage you any and please forgive the novel but it's something I'm passionate about . . . I've been thinking long of this sort of thing.

Good Luck and I hope this helped!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Mussel, you said exactly what I've been thinking. The only way for someone to be successful in this type of work is for them to know people in the field. For some time after realizing this, I've been thinking that I should give up and go though the paces of getting a masters degree, work in galleries, and teach. These seem to be the only options for people with a BFA and to be honest, it's incredibly depressing.You are completely right about the family thing, and I guess it could be looked at as an excuse not to peruse one's dreams. Finances are probably another one of those, and seeing how Im already in massive debt and don't have anyone depending on me to make money, I think financially, I am free to screw myself over if everything doesn't work out. I should definitely transfer and ,Mirana, I hope my credits do come with me, because I've heard horror stories about this type of stuff, and the school I am at now is notorious for screwing things up. Anyway, thanks, and I will post an image of my work to this thread, and you can tell me if it is good or not, I use quotes because, people say I'm good, but I don't think I am anywhere near where I want to be.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    [IMG]Fine Arts Degree...Fine Arts Degree...[/IMG][IMG]Fine Arts Degree...Fine Arts Degree...[/IMG]

ones a sketch and the other one is finished, both of them are self portraits...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be 22 next month, and I plan on starting over.

It's not really starting over though, it's moving forward.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.