Does this exist, and where can i get it?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Does this exist, and where can i get it?

when doing gestures I have a habbit of going too dark or i will just leave it there and not erase it.

So is there any product that I can do gestures with and be able to erase it without eraising the rest of my picture?

sounds impossible but you never know

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you pressing hard and leaving imprints? You can simply do what comic artists do and erase away the pencils once you use Ink.

If you're not pressing terribly hard down, use a harder graphite to produce a lighter line which will be easier to erase later. Then finish your drawing with a softer, darker pencil.

You're also going to have to develop self control with your gestural work, so don't look for too much to enable this bad habit.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    My work: [link]

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    to blue, Thanks a ton for the imformation but Im having trouble finding an art supplyer that sells anything harder than a 2b, I also want that 9xxb lol I could get some different effects with that.

and to jens, im just talking about when im only using pensil.

On a simular subject drawing gestures with pencil, then using soft pastels, how do you stop the lead shining through.

Last edited by Chris Carpenter; October 21st, 2008 at 10:41 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Carpenter View Post
    On a simular subject drawing gestures with pencil, then using soft pastels, how do you stop the lead shining through.
    I'm fairly sure if you spray your drawing with matte workable Fixative it will lock your leads (can't be erased) and will remove their shine. Krylon Fixatif

I use this for fixing pencils in the early stages of an oil painting. Every artist should keep a can on hand

My work: [link]

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Blue For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You can use non-photo blue or red pencils for under drawing, that animators and comic artists use, and then use the scanning process to remove them.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mirana For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,582 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    " On a simular subject drawing gestures with pencil, then using soft pastels, how do you stop the lead shining through."

Don't use a graphite pencil. There are pastel pencils that don't contain graphite or wax like most of the "colored" pencils. They're pastels--and will blend right in.

No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    one thing to keep in mind with harder lead pencils is that you may emboss (indent) the paper which can cause a few various problems later on when you add more constant values (as you'll have these thin white lines where softer leads aren't getting into)

maybe try a 5h or harder pencil + ink. oh man is that a deadly combo.

be aware of the type of paper you use too, as some will have more "tooth" and take graphite easier, while a hot surface smooth finich will have the graphite sit on the surface of the paper, making it easier to erase

for charcoals though, try using a hard vine charcoal, they erase with just a smudge of your hand, which is great for establishing a quick gestural sketch before working darke ron top.

Name:  Grief.gif
Views: 240
Size:  267 Bytes[whee 1000th post]Name:  Grief.gif
Size:  267 Bytes

Last edited by Grief; October 21st, 2008 at 05:09 PM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    " On a simular subject drawing gestures with pencil, then using soft pastels, how do you stop the lead shining through."

Don't use a graphite pencil. There are pastel pencils that don't contain graphite or wax like most of the "colored" pencils. They're pastels--and will blend right in.
    Yeah i got some alredy i just prefer not to use them for gestures because i do my gestures as quick as I can so it looks more natural and preportions are usualy more acurate, with pastel pencils they seem to drag alot more and I go too slow but thanks for the post =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirana View Post
    You can use non-photo blue or red pencils for under drawing, that animators and comic artists use, and then use the scanning process to remove them.
    or just use normal coloured pencils, my problem was the shine lol...

well that was a long blond moment

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    one thing to keep in mind with harder lead pencils is that you may emboss (indent) the paper which can cause a few various problems later on when you add more constant values (as you'll have these thin white lines where softer leads aren't getting into)

maybe try a 5h or harder pencil + ink. oh man is that a deadly combo.

be aware of the type of paper you use too, as some will have more "tooth" and take graphite easier, while a hot surface smooth finich will have the graphite sit on the surface of the paper, making it easier to erase

for charcoals though, try using a hard vine charcoal, they erase with just a smudge of your hand, which is great for establishing a quick gestural sketch before working darke ron top.

Name:  Grief.gif
Size:  267 Bytes[whee 1000th post]Name:  Grief.gif
Size:  267 Bytes
    Thanks I didnt even think about the paper, and ive got to waist some of the bucket loads of charcoal I got because my art teacher at school (who hasent had any training =\) didnt know how to use it so she gave it to me lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    I'm fairly sure if you spray your drawing with matte workable Fixative it will lock your leads (can't be erased) and will remove their shine. Krylon Fixatif

I use this for fixing pencils in the early stages of an oil painting. Every artist should keep a can on hand
    Ive got some cans of fixative but i didnt think of using it after doing a gesture

*claps for blue* arent you a clever little fellow =)

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.