Sketchbook: Someone Elses Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Someone Elses Sketchbook

Hi everyone

First of all, thanks for taking the time to look at my sketchbook. I've been a member on this website for quite some time. However, until now i haven't had sufficient confidence in my abilities to post any of my work here. Thankfully though, that is about to change.

It's been an interesting lesson for me though because, it just goes to show that you can read as many books, tutorials and attend as many classes to learn techniques. But when it comes to having confidence and faith in the validity of your own artwork..well thats something that simply cannot be taught i guess.

So..yeah..i have wanted to start a sketchbook for quite some time, however, its only recently that circumstances have collectivly conspired against me and forced me to take this step. I'm kinda glad this has happened actually. Foolishly, I have been far too afraid for far too long.

So..i'll start with the basics. Here are some line drawings that i have done. I have stayed away from colour for the moment, because i wanted to focus first on controlling my lines, and through that, understanding my own way of seeing [if such a thing is possible?]. And then gradually moving onto tone, and eventually colour. I wanted to develop a good understanding of the fundamentals.

Both of the drawings here are done very quickly with refference.

Anyway, ill keep updating as frequently as possible. Any comments, both positive and negative are welcome and will be greatly appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I wonder why you waited so long to post, these are looking great!, i like the classical feel to them and you obviously have confidence in your line work which is working well- clean and fluid. Porportions need a litttle work, but a great start keep posting!

my sketchbook: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=128243

Thanks
    The next drawing, is one I did earlier this year at a figure class. I was trying to break away from drawing figures in blank empty spaces [something which i have a habit of doing]. So in this I tried to include the environment.

After doing that, I tried doing another drawing with refference, in my own style. I then took the idea of the refference drawing and tried to draw something similar within the context of an environment.. from my imagination...

Thanks
    Hey brentos8, Thanks for the positive feedback, it has really helped me to feel motivated to keep posting more work. For a moment I really did wonder why I have waited so long...but as I said before..the fear factor was too great. I started quite late you see, and [like many of us im sure] i've had some pretty hard knocks with regards to my attepts to do creative things...Some of those wounds took along time to heel.

So yeah..no more excuses...I want to put all that stuff behind me now. And i suppose this is a prime oppertunity for me to excercise some of those inner demons [smiles].

Here are a few seketches that I was doing at around early 2004. I'm not proud of these at all, but I just wanted to use it as an example of where i was comming from...Basically, at that point I had had very little in the way of formal training..and had no idea what i was doing...

I remember that at the time I found these attempts at drawing quite repulsive. I had ideas that i wanted to communicate to others...but..no way of realising them...visually. To call these efforts crude would be an understatement...

Thanks
    Ok, so..now that I've gotten those awful rank amateur drawings of my last post out of my system, i'll begin posting some of my work from various sketchbooks. The quality will vary, but it kinda shows how I got from where I was in those last drawings, to where I am now. Any comments will be more than welcome...

Thanks
    More of the same....

Thanks
    Some More...

Thanks
    Looking at these, i remember that the majority were done from my imagination, without refference. My knoledge of anoatomy was not very strong...and still needs work. But the good thing was that I was getting a basic grasp of form...and a general feel for the figure.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,049 Times in 1,108 Posts
    nice sketches. I see you just started this book - I'd only post work you make from here on out, so we get a better sense of your progression. I made the same rule for my own book. It helps me see if I'm actually making progress.

I like your line quality in the older sketches, especially the torso studies. The first two nude studies here are alright - the profile is better.

Keep going, study more from life - are you in a life drawing course? I think your main need now is to just pick up the pace and crank out tons of studies.

Thanks
    stay away from the anime influence for now. learn how to draw first.

Thanks
    Hey, thanks for the positive feedback. It's very helpful actually...I think part of my problem is that i have become alittle lost in my own ideas. So its nice to hear fresh perspectives. That's a major positive of a community like this i guess.

To TASmith

Yes I do go to life classes whenever I can. I find them very useful..and I have learnt much from them. I am going to take your advice an only post the work I do from this point forward. I am uploading these images though, because these are the things that i have done most recently and it illustrates some of the problems that I have been encountering. Furthermore, i think it will help to give one a better sense of what my current level is, and hopefully provide a nice broad surface area for future comments.

To Joce

Thanks for the comment, much appreciated. You hit a major nail on the head with that one. You know, that is EXACTLY what I have been trying to do, stay away from the anime influence [I don't even like much anime].

That style is not something that I intentionally do, but somehow it seems to creep through into my work. I find it happens most if I'm drawing from imagination.

I guess it's like mentally making excuses for the things that you dont really know about, and therfore cannot draw. They can be simplified when done in an "Anime Style". It was a good comment...i'm gonna try and kick that habbit.

Well...in these images, you'll see that im begining to move on from the basic lines now, and im starting to try and work with tone more, and eventually move onto colour.

What I am also learning is that there is a difference between drawing and painting. I know that probably sounds like a simple distinction for most of you, but its something that, i didnt really understand untill recently. Alot of my attepts at painting used to come out looking "cartoony", and i was never happy, hence why i stuck to line. But now im begining to understand tone and gradiations, it is beginning to make sense.

And while i know i need to work on my core drawing skills [improving anotomical knoledge etc], I also need to learn how to paint. I think that has been a major weakness of mine for quite some time.

I think that i also need to learn to be more relaxed and free in my work. I'd like to have better ideas, because to be honest, as much as i enjoy it, I myself am growing tired of drawing people [mostly women]. Looking at my work i see the same thing again and again...so, i think i need to push myself a bit more...and draw other subjects.

Well, sorry if this is an overly long post, but i though i should probably make it a bit clearer where I am, and what I hope to achive. All subsequent posts will only be of work made from this point forward. And thanks to everyone who has commented so far, I have learnt alot from this already.

Thanks
    I have decided to spend some time working on anatomy and as a result, I have gone back to looking at bones. I'd like to do lots of these types of studies to get a good understanding of them.

Thanks
    I'm enjoying your drawings, they have a hyperactive quality about them. There is some distortion in the anatomy in your work (the recent skulls look elongated vertically.) Is this due to practice with anatomy or would you characterize that as part of your style?

Thanks
    Yeah, same here, only I'm not as persistent. ;] Great work, so many studies you have already!

Thanks
    Thanks for all of the postive feedback. It's most appreciated and it motivates me to keep drawing.

AikidoAl:

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad that you enjoy the drawings. You commented on the hyperactive quality about them. I'm glad that you picked up on that. With regards to the vertical elongation of the skulls, that is a very interesting observation. I think that is something that I want to work into my own personal style. I find that often times my figures can look a bit short, and I much preffer things to look longer vertically and more elegant. A large part of that can probably be attributed to my lack of technical knoledge at the moment, but even so, that is something that I would like to work on and incoporate into my style.

Shalite:

Thanks for the comment. LOL. I am being persistant because...I know that I Need to get alot better, and time is always against me so...yeah..I have to keep trying. It's so cool that you descovered this site so early...I hope it helps you in your studies.

Here are todays sketches. I'm still working on skull construction. I have been looking at a lot of different sources and techniques...And im getting to a point where I'm thinking that i just have to keep drawing it as much as possibele, and try to learn from my mistakes...

Thanks
    Skulls. And more Skulls. But now I have started looking at animals. I am beginning to enjoy this...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.