Sketchbook: A Sketchbook
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Sketchbook

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,042 Times in 680 Posts
    Follows
    Following

A Sketchbook

Greetings,

I've been trying to grow as an artist, or obtain the status of artist, off & on during the years.

In the recent months my abilities have gotten to the level where I can draw what's in my head, and what I see.

Not completely satisfied with myself & never will be, & not consistent enough for my tastes.

But I'm getting there.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by OmenSpirits; February 8th, 2009 at 12:38 AM.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

OmenSpirits is offline Commercial-Illustrator in-training, NOT an artist. Level 13 Gladiator: Retiarius
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My images shall be labeled BC and AC. BC being "Before Charles Bargue" and AC will be "After Charles Bargue" which will give you an idea of my growth.

The first one is AC-

The creature is BC-

If anything looks kinda familiar, I SERIOUSLY have been studying some of the illustrators on here, absorbing their techique.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BC:

Pen sketch inspired by Syd Mead

AC:

Turtles, frogs, & Judah McBee

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BC:
    A character of mine for a comic created back in the '90's-

AC:

hands studying Bridgman-

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BC:

Another Character design. Strength type

AC:

Turtle

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is AC:

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This is a nice sketchbook you've got here! I really like the creature in your second post, that one displays a good design, good line quality and control of hatching. The last picture you posted does not, it's scribbly, with thick lines and overall looks very rushed. I know, it's a problem I have myself, I can never seem to slow down and do it carefully. I can only hope you get better at that than me!

Doing Bargues are great, but don't expect your drawings from the imagination to magically get awesome because of that Doing Bargue copies really is a stepping stone for being able to draw stuff from life, to learn to draw what you see with your eye. Use both what you learn from mr. Bargue AND from life drawing to improve your drawings from the imagination! Do you have any pics of your Bargues to show? Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those are coming.

Thanks!

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Charles Bargue Journey....

The book that I draw from now. starts with the first when I got the book, 6/30/08 & have been progressing ever since. All done in pencil.

-John Huston, Director

10. The Following User Says Thank You to OmenSpirits For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continued.......................

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Continued..............

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    To break up the chain.....some Bridgman & Loomis.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Kat with a hightop (I miss mine, dammit!) and a doodle of Beta Ray Bill & Lady Sif.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    oy! I can't see alot of your images! However like serpian said the pic of the creature in the second post is the strongest piece. What would you like to focus on for now? Anatomy or environments? I see that you are doing both.

P.S QUEENS REPRESENTIN' !!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would like to focus on pencil illustration, because its the foundation for learning all other disciplines. I'm a researcher foremost when it comes to learning, and through my research, I've come to understand that, without a firm grasp of the principles taught through illustration, that the ability to translate form & shadow, depth and emotion, dimension and weight, that anything you produce will be lacking. I've read Steve Rude's artist in motion, and the one thing, on top of everything else I've learned, is light defines everything.

I'm mainly focused on the figure, seeing the shapes and contours, seeing forms, by using Charles Bargue's technique, to give me understanding. I'd been drawing for some time from other books with inconsistent results.I could grasp the ideas but translation came hit or miss.

I've been drawing from imagination, without the proper foundation or rit-memory understanding for drawing said imagination properly. The physics of it as would be said.

I've absorbed information on design, color, shapes and their emotional impact on people. Color and its appeal to the human brain.

I've amassed a great deal of information, now I've got to learn how it all fits together to form art.

I want to become a thinking artist. Able to use line and movement to evoke feeling. All other things will come from that basic understanding.

The digital age is beautiful, and it sometimes feels like there's a lot of pressure to go from A to Z considering the level around CA, but I've come to the conclusion (and the words from an artist I'd met recently) that none of that is possible without knowing the pencil.

So I'm staying there, until I do.

That's a lot, isn't? But I've no choice, In the 7 months I've been able to use Bargue's book to help me 'see', along with Loomis, and a few others. The illustrators on this site, before practicing Bargue, used to practice magic before my eyes, because though I could see in my mind what they did, I could not produce it at that level.

Now I can 'see' what they can do, and sketch it. Not fully render, that's another thing I've to learn, but I can see what works, why, what needs to be reworked. I've gained understanding.

And man, am I freaking rambling on from a simple question!

To directly answer your question, I want to illustrate.

P.S.,

STRONG ISLAND! WHUT, WHUT

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More.

When my vision gets corrected, I can restart training.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    more.

loomis variations.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    various stuff.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bargue studies.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Believe in yourself! A lot of these are looking good. Continuing to practice will make a big difference over time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks.

It's taking time to develop confidence in how I draw when for so many years I was inconsistent.

Now that I seem to be getting better, I don't know how to present it.

But its coming. These are only after 7 months with Bargue's book.

It's apart of my new bible of study.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some nice work going here! You should do some figure drawings to enforce what you're learning with anatomy. Anatomy and figure drawings will both enforce your work from imagination.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I will.

It'll be easier when my vision gets fixed. Right now one eye see normal, the other sees plasma (blood). Got to get surgery for it.

The Bargue book leads you step-by-step to the figure section, which I jumped ahead to see, just browsing the book.......CHRIST!

A moment of intmidation was felt. But, I'm going to learn to draw the correct way this time.

Thanks!

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have alot of good starts here, and I lik what I see keep it up man.

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I totaly agree with you saying that"It's taking time to develop confidence in how I draw when for so many years I was inconsistent".because it's also my case it is very difficult to get rid of bad habits. So keep the good work up.

sketch book critics are welcome.

Last edited by MuGen'arto; December 30th, 2008 at 06:34 AM. Reason: adding link to sketch book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wish you the best of luck with the vision correction procedure. I like the spirit and concept of your sketchbook. Looking forward to watching your progress towards your artistic goals!

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *blushes*

Thanks all.

I really appreciated the support.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    still working with the eye issue. going in for surgery on the 15th. Had laser finished on the right eye which was fun! But with the right amount of over the counter pain killer, ANYTHING can be ade better.

Same character as the firstabove, wantedto go more realistic for the hell of it.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Man,

Posted in your thread about surgery in the lounge, and was then inclined to check out your sketchbook. You artwork reminds me quite a bit of myself...

On the studies, keep at them...they are your best work!

As far as the characters go, you seem to suffer from the same problem I do... I know you recognize the anatomy issues with the poses you have made...the skeletal structure under the form is somewhat suspect. The only way to get better is to keep at it!

My suggestion that since your studies seem so solid...perhaps you should start with a non-print blue pencil and draw out the skeleton first, and then come back and flesh them out. It is something I have never been apt to do myself, but I know that it would be very helpful to you and your proportions.

On a side note...my Grandfather had diabetes and eye surgery which left him blind in one eye and 80% blind in the other. That 80% was 100% over the next year. He had been a professional baseball player and after that a baseball scout, so the loss of his eyesight was devistating to him. I just wanted to say I understand the fear you are experiencing, and hope that it all works out well for you.

Good luck with the art and the eyes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice. I've picked up the book Artistic anatomy for artists and have been drawing from that along with the bargue studies so my work will see improvement. I've been driven since I was a teen to get better, and even though I blinked and took up writing, I never stopped drawing.

Now, I'll show CA what I can do once I've got both eyes, though that profile of my character is pretty good.

I had an uncle who wound up like your grandfather because of the tech they had was nothing compared to today.

What made me even more uneasy was the fact that he also was creative, a writer, and all I knew of him was that he was stuck in his house and I did not want to follow suit.

Thanks for sharing. I used to hide my disease when I was younger, shows you how mental I was.

-John Huston, Director

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 11