Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: A Sketchbook

Thanks
    oy! I can't see alot of your images! However like serpian said the pic of the creature in the second post is the strongest piece. What would you like to focus on for now? Anatomy or environments? I see that you are doing both.

P.S QUEENS REPRESENTIN' !!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 687 Posts
    I would like to focus on pencil illustration, because its the foundation for learning all other disciplines. I'm a researcher foremost when it comes to learning, and through my research, I've come to understand that, without a firm grasp of the principles taught through illustration, that the ability to translate form & shadow, depth and emotion, dimension and weight, that anything you produce will be lacking. I've read Steve Rude's artist in motion, and the one thing, on top of everything else I've learned, is light defines everything.

I'm mainly focused on the figure, seeing the shapes and contours, seeing forms, by using Charles Bargue's technique, to give me understanding. I'd been drawing for some time from other books with inconsistent results.I could grasp the ideas but translation came hit or miss.

I've been drawing from imagination, without the proper foundation or rit-memory understanding for drawing said imagination properly. The physics of it as would be said.

I've absorbed information on design, color, shapes and their emotional impact on people. Color and its appeal to the human brain.

I've amassed a great deal of information, now I've got to learn how it all fits together to form art.

I want to become a thinking artist. Able to use line and movement to evoke feeling. All other things will come from that basic understanding.

The digital age is beautiful, and it sometimes feels like there's a lot of pressure to go from A to Z considering the level around CA, but I've come to the conclusion (and the words from an artist I'd met recently) that none of that is possible without knowing the pencil.

So I'm staying there, until I do.

That's a lot, isn't? But I've no choice, In the 7 months I've been able to use Bargue's book to help me 'see', along with Loomis, and a few others. The illustrators on this site, before practicing Bargue, used to practice magic before my eyes, because though I could see in my mind what they did, I could not produce it at that level.

Now I can 'see' what they can do, and sketch it. Not fully render, that's another thing I've to learn, but I can see what works, why, what needs to be reworked. I've gained understanding.

And man, am I freaking rambling on from a simple question!

To directly answer your question, I want to illustrate.

P.S.,

STRONG ISLAND! WHUT, WHUT
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    More.

When my vision gets corrected, I can restart training.
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    more.

loomis variations.
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    various stuff.
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    bargue studies.
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Believe in yourself! A lot of these are looking good. Continuing to practice will make a big difference over time.

Thanks
    Thanks.

It's taking time to develop confidence in how I draw when for so many years I was inconsistent.

Now that I seem to be getting better, I don't know how to present it.

But its coming. These are only after 7 months with Bargue's book.

It's apart of my new bible of study.
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Some nice work going here! You should do some figure drawings to enforce what you're learning with anatomy. Anatomy and figure drawings will both enforce your work from imagination.

Thanks
    Oh, I will.

It'll be easier when my vision gets fixed. Right now one eye see normal, the other sees plasma (blood). Got to get surgery for it.

The Bargue book leads you step-by-step to the figure section, which I jumped ahead to see, just browsing the book.......CHRIST!

A moment of intmidation was felt. But, I'm going to learn to draw the correct way this time.

Thanks!
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    You have alot of good starts here, and I lik what I see keep it up man.
    Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    I totaly agree with you saying that"It's taking time to develop confidence in how I draw when for so many years I was inconsistent".because it's also my case it is very difficult to get rid of bad habits. So keep the good work up.

sketch book critics are welcome.
    Last edited by MuGen'arto; December 30th, 2008 at 07:34 AM. Reason: adding link to sketch book

Thanks
    Wish you the best of luck with the vision correction procedure. I like the spirit and concept of your sketchbook. Looking forward to watching your progress towards your artistic goals!
    "We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." - Aristotle

SSG 69 ARTGASMIC FORCE
    Mission: To push our skills to evolve to the point of giving you visual orgasm.

Eon l grenappels l snootchy l Peetaer l bleupencil l

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast