Sketchbook: A Sketchbook - Page 2

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: A Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, saw your post in the lounge! I'm interested to see how this is going to go when both eyes are alreet, but as far as I can see you've been doing a pretty good job already and your attitude is great. diggin' that pencil work!

going on what Sundance said, I'm thinking maybe we've got a common bad habit (mine's in that I take my sweet time laying down the sketch for my studies, but as soon as I'm drawing stuff from my imagination I just want to get straight in there and draw the whole lot, which results in plentyyyy of anatomical problems. and disillusionment and so on and so forth. but hey! here's to breaking bad habits)

but your sketchbook is looking great so far. keep going for it, keep drawing (I don't think you have any intention of stopping!) and good luck to you

What an overwhelming lesson to all artists! Be not afraid of absurdity; do not shrink from the fantastic. Within a dilemma, choose the most unheard-of, the most dangerous, solution. Be brave, be brave! - Isak Dinesen
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 682 Posts
    Follows
    Following

The first Bargue since healing

Took me few days, though getting the foundation down seems to be a lot easier (though when it was harder it felt like I was learning more, does that make sense?)

I pushed myself to get as close as the plate, though the eye still is healing.

Thanks gutss: Before the Bargue book, I was using how-to books on anatomy by a lot of the artists mentioned by everyone on this site, but none ever seemed to 'click' in my mind as well as Bargue.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just an answer to a question I asked myself.

"Everything must serve the idea. The means used to convey the idea should be the simplest and clear. Just what is required. No extra images. To me this is a universal principle of art. Saying as much as possible with a minimum of means."
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 586 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Digging the Bargue studies! I haven't done those myself, but one thing I've picked up from others who are copying from Bargue is to keep your pencil reeeeeeeeally sharp. You don't want the white dots showing through the deep shadow, as it throws the value off. Keep it up!

-Sid

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sidharth Chaturvedi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah,I see what you mean. I'll keep that in mind for the future.

I've realized something, my fundamentals are practically non-existent in some ways, and I need to go backwards (as usual) and learn them.

I've hit a wall, and I know what it is, and how to overcome it.

I'm getting there, but the Bargues will have to wait.

I need a bit of formal training to hammer out the issues I see myself having (been having fun learning perspective! and dynamic life drawing!). So I've stepped away from Bargue for now.

The journey continues...

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Use clutch or mechanical pencils, and bristol board for the Bargues. Keep the paper as clean as possible, put a sheet of paper under your drawing hand to avoid smudging. Spend more time looking at angle and shapes, spend 3 times as long on one as you normally would.

Sketchbook

"Beliefs are rules for action"
    "Knowledge is proven in action."
    "It's use is it's meaning."

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to armando For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice start to the bargues... I think the bargues are just for that, to nail the fundamentals... so I really think you shouldn't stop doing them. Of course do other stuff beside those. Keep it up! & post more images!

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm going to start a new SB after my intensive in august, seeing what I can REALLY do in comparison to what I've got now. I still practice, study, but am not satisfied with any of it (never will). I want to see where this class will take me.

Stay tuned......

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 1,016 Times in 917 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Cant wait to see your new sketchbook OmenSpirits.
    until next time -Omerta

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice stuff man... I'm thinkin of doing some bargue studies myself, trying it out once I get some current projects off my plate.

That said, I also wanted to comment to voice my opinion that you DON'T start a new sketchbook in August, and instead keep going with this one. In my opinion, even if these first few pages don't show the level you're currently at, it's a lot easier for people to see the improvement you're making if they have something in the same thread to compare it to. Don't be afraid of your old drawings... just show people how far you've come from then.

MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

14. The Following User Says Thank You to KarylGilbertson For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good idea. I'll continue this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF4NjEDD4Eg

Last edited by OmenSpirits; July 18th, 2009 at 03:03 AM. Reason: d'oh!
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Can't see your latest image, I'm afraid ... looks like progress is being made in this SB, though Stay with it -- show us more! Draw draw draw

Look, see! Nifty art! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=99803

Hey! Check out my blog here

17. The Following User Says Thank You to AmontilladoAg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    that's because it was a youtube video I've been studying about drawing lips.

I'll post art went I've jumped the wall I see before me.

Which'll be reeeaaaalllyyy soon.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, the lessons learned, the self-realization, the new path before me, JESUS H. CHRIST I've got new insights to process.

New stuff (A ron frenz recreation and CA member inspired drawing).

Oh, white charcoal on black paper (never thought you'd hear that, eh? )

More to come...

Last edited by OmenSpirits; September 12th, 2009 at 07:31 PM.
    -John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice shading and angles on your studies.

"Its all fun and games till the bomb goes off. Then its a blast!" Kyle thinking of things the Joker would say in batman.
    My Sketch Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks.

My new attempt at evoking emotion from the viewer.

Title: A quiet time to play

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man (woman?) Good work here in your sketchbook so far.

you've got a pretty good mix between your studies and imaginative drawings but here's a suggestion.

From what I've seen here it looks like some of your weak areas include; faces, placement and proportion of body parts, and issues with the few pieces you've posted with loose drapery.

Try doing more facial studies and keep up with the anatomy. A round of drapery studies might be well in order too.

Good luck, keep going!

Sepulverture's Sketchbook Page 1 Page 19
    Sepulvertures Extended Studies Page 1
    page 2

Tutorials Tips and Tricks needs you to stay alive!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm all over the place in what I study. I'll take your crit and run with it. (and I'm a guy so you were right the first time.)

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm seconding Sepulverture, you're jumping into a lot of imaginitive work which is great, but it needs a base of fundamentals. Do more studies from life, or at least photos. Your imagination is great, btw. Also, so far as imagination goes, it's also great to look at some of your favorite artists and ask, "Hey, how do they draw a nose, eyes, a mouth?" "What lines do they find and use?" It's a great way to learn what some options are.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work so far! i like how you apply what you learn from your anatomy studies! keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The hand in your post 32 is really impressing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, get back to your studies! You have shown nice progression but there needs to be more, right?

My sketchbook contains cartoon studies and Pokémon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I've moved forward from the bargue plates, using what they taught me to go further. Just haven't had the drive to sit and scan stuff.

I will, when my level is truly worth looking at (and I'm close).

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aw, come on, your sketchbook needn't be a place of vanity. If you wanna show progression, show all of it! Is there a downside?

My sketchbook contains cartoon studies and Pokémon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lot of hard work in here. Be more carefull with your construction and proportions. You seem to have a decent grasp on the 3d aspects of drawing now you just need to start correcting some distortions. Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for looking.

Most of this was done before I invested in a artist table with a tilt, getting rid of the distortion due to look down at the page.

A tilt table is a beautiful thing.

Always learning, always moving, I'll have somethings new eventually. Things I'll be SLIGHTLY satisfied with.

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OmesSpirit, your response in my WIP thread led me here...but I have to admit your bargue
    studies have real real power in them....with your imaginative work you are lacking in getting good proportions so like someone has already said , you need to get the fundamental right first... basically you end up making your characters too stuffed, so I am guessing that you are not doing too much breakdowns before going into detailing and actaully making the charecters.
    What i normally do is that first: I make thumnails of what i want to draw, so that I get the pose and the composition right, 2nd: I blow up the thumbnail to proper rez and do the breakdowns again only this time I try to keep stuff anatomically correct (as much as I can), by double checking with as many references as I can find , 3rd I draw the final line art. obviously I screw up at a lot of places and take stupid decisions, but I am sorta happy with the workflow, and I learn..it is a very obvious/general workflow and am sure you already know about it, I just thought I should share.

I hope it helps.

cheers..

Perth, Western Australia, the most isolated city in the world
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love how you render in pencil, very cool

Help a 16 year old kid out with some critique, my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks all.

mehran:

Yeah, this stuff's a year or so old & in comparison to what I've learned since, it's quite less than a stellar showing.

I've started a at-home art course that will focus all the information I've got in my head along with the various techniques to give my potential a better chance on better consistency. The way I start a drawing now varies, but I start with a thumbnail (as you said), and a first run-through of what I want the image to look like. Then by using that first run to gauge what the final will look like, I refine the idea until it's what I envision. with most of these (other than the barques) I just dove in without figuring out what I wanted to say.

I'm glad people like the barque studies. That book is what broke the mental stalemate I'd had. I was shoving enough tech and info into my head, but the results were trickles, instead of propelling my growth.

Now, it's getting better, and I'm realizing what's in my head onto the page much better.

The journey continues...

-John Huston, Director

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your comic stuff is really good, but I think you need to do some more anatomy stuff possibly?

Keep up the good work though, you can really see some improvement here.

DRAW DRAW DRAW!

Cheers
    Norris

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 15