Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts

Square Brushes in Painter - Question for Jin

Hi Jin,

We were having this discussion in the lounge but I think it's best to also post it here and maybe you'll answer.

People are mentioning using a square brush in Painter and the complaint was there are "Breaks" in the smoothness and maybe you can point out some tips in the right direction to create a brush in this post?

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=139346

We noticed someone using Sai Paint in this case and I can get similar results with a round brush, but we're looking for a square one.

Thanks for your time.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hello:

It would be really helpful if you could post a screen cap of the issue with square brushes...

However, one suggestion that may help is to reduce the space between the dabs. If you look in the brush controls, there is a spacing palette - here you can reduce the space between dabs and create a smooter look.

Cookie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by 3Cookie3 View Post
    Hello:

It would be really helpful if you could post a screen cap of the issue with square brushes...

However, one suggestion that may help is to reduce the space between the dabs. If you look in the brush controls, there is a spacing palette - here you can reduce the space between dabs and create a smooter look.

Cookie
    The screen caps are in the referring thread if you follow it. We were asking how to emulate a brush close to what Portus has in Sai Paint in Painter without breakage or slowdown.

Thanks
    Hmm i tried 2 brushes but i dont think i could get those crisp lines

First is oil pastel without any modification( i think im not sure if i tweaked before)

2nd is a custom square brush

6. The Following User Says Thank You to reme For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Galaxis, this is pointing me in the right direction, so I'll start messing with the Oil Pastel to see what results I gain.

Thanks
    Check out my Painter squarebrush. As long as you don't resize the min size it should be fast and smooth, it was made in Painter 6.

Square Brushes in Painter - Question for Jin
    Last edited by Portus; October 26th, 2008 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Portus,

It's smooth unless you take tight turns, then the brush dab begins to look like petals with square ends, sumpthin' like a daisy.

Wide turns are fine and the stroke is smooth.

Thanks for sharing your custom brush variant.

For anyone using Painter 7 or following versions, you'll need to extract the ZIP file. Then you'll see single file brush library with the extension, .BRS.

To load it into Painter, you first have to Import it so versions Painter 7 through Painter X.1 can convert it to folders and files and place them in the appropriate locations.

Use the Import Brush Library command, navigate to the folder where the Zip file was extracted, highlight the file named squarebrush.BRS, and click the Open button.

Wait a few seconds while Painter converts the single-file brush library to folders and files and places them in the correct locations.

Then use the Load Library command. In the Brush Libraries list highlight the library named squarebrush Brushes, and click the Load button.

That's it!

#
    Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Yes but that's unavoidable because if we want the brush to follow the angle it will always try to auto-rotate if we "press" the stylus at the same place without moving. But with a little control it's possible to avoid them once you get how the brush works.
    Last edited by Portus; October 27th, 2008 at 03:09 PM.

Thanks
    This is a good discussion, I hope we can figure out other ways of making brush variants by making adjustments. Portus I did download your brush the other night I'll see what kind of fine tuning we can work on in getting it close to emulate Sai's tool.