Are You Entertained?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,122 Times in 871 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Are You Entertained?

Video games are an interesting topic in my life. For my friends, like music and art are for me, they're their favorite thing and how they spend a lot of their time. It's become a weird social thing too. I see my friends for only a few hours each day but they talk for hours on Xbox live and such. I feel in a way further distanced from my friends than they are with each other because of it. I have an Xbox and XBL but I don't have the same games as them and I'm currently out of money (and future money, which will go to more music) so I can't buy them. Honestly I get quite bored with video games when I play them for more than a half an hour.
    Another weird thing is that I'll probably, when I'm more dependent on money, get a job doing concept art or something like that in the video games industry. I love doing album art but work is VERY hard to come by and it doesn't pay well at all. I feel that the entire world is just too entertained... and I'd like to not contribute so much to that mindless entertainment, yet I need to in order to support myself/family. I myself feel the need to connect more with my "entertainment". Art and Music are both ways of self expression.
    I have a bunch of video game systems: DS, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS, etc. ... but I rarely ever play any of them. I bought everyone of them on impulse because all of my friends have them. Games are too expensive, I'd rather buy more music.
    In short, video games... depress me. It's a negative force in my life, even though it's something very simple and makes a lot of people very happy.
    I feel the same way about TV and Movies (unless I'm in a real theater). I feel like I could just be doing something better with my life.

Lyrics on this concept:

Sunlight coming through the haze
    No gaps in the blinds
    To let it inside
    The bed is unmade,
    Some music still plays

TV, yeah it's always on
    The flicker on the screen
    A movie actress screams
    I'm basking the shit flowing out of it

I'm stoned in the mall again
    Terminally bored
    Shuffling round the stores
    And shoplifting is getting so last year's thing

X-Box is a god to me
    A finger on the switch
    My mother is a bitch
    My father gave up ever trying to talk to me

Don't try engaging me
    The vaguest of shrugs
    The prescription drugs
    You'll never find a person inside
    Porcupine Tree - Fear of a Blank Planet

Somehow better without this
    Headlights fuck the city
    Somewhere I'm broken
    No sensations nevermore

What do you say when you speak
    I sense no time
    Discouraged television sleep
    Not awake until it's dark

Somehow I never leave
    This deadhouse
    Somehow I don't mind being gone
    And if you think you've seen me
    I have to prove you
    That you're wrong
    Katatonia - Deadhouse

Four numbers staring back at me
    Displaying the mediocrity of my presence
    I´m wasting my day watching them change
    the sun with it's blue sky outside
    shining down on all you happy people
    i´m wasting my day waiting for rain
    need more methods to end each day
    to be happy by living this way
    Katatonia - Quiet World

Here is my car, my phone and my TV
    I've got it all but you can see through me

But am I here?
    It's kind of hard to tell
    I do a good impression of myself
    But what's normal now anyhow?

Sullen and bored the kids stay
    And in this way they wish away each day
    Stoned in the mall the kids play

Prescription drugs they help me through the day
    And that restraining order keeps me well at bay
    But what's normal now anyway?

Sullen and bored the kids stay
    Stoned in the mall the kids play
    And in this way they wish away each day.
    Porcupine Tree - Normal

Jake

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,278 Times in 625 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can see where your coming from as someone who isn't a 'gamer', but as a gamer myself i have to say that gaming is fast becoming a lifestyle and not just a hobby, i'm sure you've seen the huge cons on games around the globe, sure gaming can be unhealthy, but most people know how to maintain that balance, i would consider myself a serious gamer, but i do see my friends alot and go out and get drunk and be sick lol although it helps as my best friends are also gamers lol it really depends on the person, like you said, games depress you, which is fair enough, i on the other hand, wouldn't be able to live without games, sounds extreme, but i'm sure you'd say the same about music?

I had games as an escape in my younger years and thats never left me, games and art are my life, and i would love nothing more to be able to play/create games for a living. guess i'm an all out technophile who would be in heaven in a room full of high end gaming comps.

and gaming is far more social than people would think, sure its not face to face unless you go to a lan party, which is always extremely fun, and people are really friendly and down to earth most of the time. I have made loads of good friends in relation to games, over the net or down the pub.

i would think alot of people on here are gamers too, correct me if i'm wrong lol

just my view on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These days I mostly play games for what they are; I'm attracted to unique games with fantastic atmosphere, art direction and/or storytelling. I make exceptions for multiplayer first-person shooters, as they truly are my entertainment. Also, it's good to go back to Wipeout after a year or two.

For music, it can be many different forms of entertainment. From techy Neurofunk tunes that stimulate my imagination to the mentally stimulating Ambient sounds that can be experienced in many ways.
    And it's great to hear a story through music once in a while, or just let the passion that went into a more powerful piece do what it does.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I can relate to everything you said Jake kobrin.

I've played games since I was 9, playing on the gameboy. Later the PC etc etc.
    I still play alot of games but since the last 2-3years it's just been brainless mindnumbing pill substitutes. Games takes all my life force away, at the same time, Society does the same thing. Going to work, doing shit you dont want to for a person who don't know you for not enough to even get you through the week.. It all just ends in anger and depression.

On the contrary, I love MAKING games, doing art that gives you feeling, movies, acting, music all of this. Creating things, no matter what it is, fills me with joy. But I can't do it. I can't afford it. I can't live on it because I need food and water.

If you ever find some kind of light in your life, write a book or whatever and give us mere ants some hope, please.

"Sadly, most artists prefer to give the elite their attention."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Its all balance.

If I want to play a new game thats come out I make damn well sure I have done more than enough freelance work to not make me feel guilty when I sit my ass down and be entertained. What I hate, is when people who have never played a game in 10+ years can say its a complete waste of time when I see those same people sitting on there ass every night watching Tv. Entertainment is just that, entertainment, if your reading a book, watching Tv, or playing a game, its all the same IMO.

You can actually learn a lot from playing games, especially if you try to.

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saturns Gate For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    400th post!!!....er yeah me to....games bad....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I understand where you are coming from, Jake. I, too, find it depressing and frustrating to see that people abuse what I have made. But that’s what it is: abuse. As with alcohol, there is an acceptable level of use, and an unhealthy level, and shades of gray in between.

I get by with considering who it is I make games for. My own personal target audience is my father, because I know that games are just one part of his reasonably well-balanced life, and because he tells me about how much fun he is having with the toy I have made.

I consider fun to be a very important part of life, so I am glad that I am able to provide people with fun.

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Exactly Seedling, why deny yourself some fun now and again? I mean sure drawing and designing cool characters and creatures is fun, but its a different kind of fun to say playing games or watching a movie. Everything in moderation...well ok draw a bit more than the moderation

My Website

My Blog

My Facebook

Currently for hire as freelancer!]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, I'm entertained by video games. I've been playing since 2 years old (Mario Kart was awesome) and it never stopped amusing me. To echo Saturns Gate, balance is key and video gaming is just another activity. Not everyone likes it and I'm sure there are the other 8923982398 hobbies out there which may be worthwhile for those who choose not to game.

Though, lately, I feel the games are losing the fun factor. As I've stated in another thread a few months ago, I believe the best generation of gaming was the previous one (PS2, GC, XBox) when 3D gameplay was truly being refined over the generation before that (PS1, N64). Nowadays,it seems emphasis has been placed a lot more on graphics and little to no advancements has been made to the gameplay for the most part (you know, what actually makes a game good). This is why, for most games, I prefer the concept art than the actual games because, really, I save a lot of money by enjoying the pretty pictures rather than paying 60+ dollars for rehashed gameplay.

Aside from that, enjoy what you like and I'll play my video games (mostly on the PS2).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by The Amaranth View Post
    Yeah, I'm entertained by video games. I've been playing since 2 years old (Mario Kart was awesome) and it never stopped amusing me. To echo Saturns Gate, balance is key and video gaming is just another activity. Not everyone likes it and I'm sure there are the other 8923982398 hobbies out there which may be worthwhile for those who choose not to game.

Though, lately, I feel the games are losing the fun factor. As I've stated in another thread a few months ago, I believe the best generation of gaming was the previous one (PS2, GC, XBox) when 3D gameplay was truly being refined over the generation before that (PS1, N64). Nowadays,it seems emphasis has been placed a lot more on graphics and little to no advancements has been made to the gameplay for the most part (you know, what actually makes a game good). This is why, for most games, I prefer the concept art than the actual games because, really, I save a lot of money by enjoying the pretty pictures rather than paying 60+ dollars for rehashed gameplay.

Aside from that, enjoy what you like and I'll play my video games (mostly on the PS2).
    after playing the forced unleashed demo i really disagree the game play on that one is badass. its nice to change things up every once in a while by jumpin on xbox, but i could definatly live without it if i had to . we mostly use it as a dvd player so me and the girl can spend time together watching a movie since our lives are pretty seperate unless one of us stays up ridiculously long

not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 259 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post
    the view from the top is entertaining.
    And the view from the bottom is frequently built on wishful thinking. What career remains as rosy once it stops becoming a goal and is instead an actual daily grind? Being a doctor? Instead of saving lives, you get to feel the frustration as over and over you tell patients they’ll live longer if they give up drinking and smoking and over and over they ignore the advice. Teaching? Try the tripple whammy of watching students fail, dealing with school politics, and getting paid peanuts.

Or once you find out that no career is as shiny when you get there, why not go ahead and take a career that already has a bad reputation, such as being a lawyer? But then you find that the end of the rainbow doesn’t contain buckets of money after all.

As Max Ehrmann said, “Keep interested in your own career, however humble;
    it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.”

I think you are awesome, and I wish you the best in your endeavors, but I am tired of repeating myself, I am very busy with my new baby, and I am no longer a regular participant here, so please do not contact me to ask for advice on your career or education. All of the advice that I have to offer can already be found in the following links. Thank you.

Perspective 101, Concept Art 101, Games Industry info,Oil Paint info, Acrylic Paint info, my sketchbook.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Seedling For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    personally I lack the attention span and the commitment to spend 60 hrs plus finishing a game,

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in – study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm, I try to keep videogames as a hobby and not a necessity, at best. (Websurfing, on the other hand....)

Because not everyone has the same hobby and/or interest, I try to learn as much as possible of new things and possibilities to getting along with people and at least having more topic to talk about..

Thanks
    Thanked 5,526 Times in 3,720 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I don’t play many games. I like Wii sport, Guitar Hero III (Xbox 360) and I’m looking forward to Wii Fit at Christmas. Enjoy watching the kids play Portal and chain sawing each other to death in Gears of War. Entertained? I would put it as mildly amused.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
    And the view from the bottom is frequently built on wishful thinking. What career remains as rosy once it stops becoming a goal and is instead an actual daily grind?
    yeah... thats actually what gaining experience (training) is referred to as grinding. its not that hard as long as you can set goals and keep yourself engaged, it takes no talent or skill, just the ability to sit still and operate effortlessly without pause. but after about two and a half years of the same thing on a daily basis (sure they add new content, but its really just a new paint job on the same thing) it gets old.

after a certain point you start doing the math of how much of your life youve spent just trying to get some digital number higher. theyre pixels. i devoted my time to pixels? what a drag. compounded with the drama, flaming, kill-stealing wars, guild harassment, and hackers... it enough to break your faith in video games entirely.

a lot of kids didn't understand what i meant when i said the game was getting too expensive, even though its a free online game. i hope someday they'll come to realize it.

i met a lot of really amazing people though, a community of friends i still keep in touch with outside of the game. and for that i guess i can't say i regret that chapter of my life. i find grinding in my sketchbook to be much more rewarding though. if i can apply that same obsessive devotion to a pursuit which means something to me, then i think my life will be alright.

nowadays if i need to feed the video game habit, i waste a day and plow through something on the SNES.

been digging this game though....

Name:  windowslivewriternewmmorpg-eaf0irl-thumb.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  72.3 KB

24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,312 Times in 544 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    ^ I've pre-ordered that one, then they e-mailed me saying that I actually had an account made 20 years ago. Confusing.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to BlightedArt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    But you can only play it once.

ACTION SPEAKS LOUDER
    "Amateurs look for inspiration; the rest of us just get up and go to work. " -Chuck Close

DRUNKEN WASTREL SKETCH GROUP:
    [ Costau D ][ Cuervo ][ Braintree ][ Fumble ][ Ookchk ][ RoboMonkey ]

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Costau D For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,220 Times in 624 Posts
    Follows
    Following
Quote Originally Posted by Grief View Post

Name:  windowslivewriternewmmorpg-eaf0irl-thumb.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  72.3 KB
haha!!

You know, my little brother is 14 years old.. he probably knows EVERY name of location and quests and shit in World of Warcraft.. and yet, he doesn't even know the 5 biggest cities here in Sweden...

those threads pop up everywhere so sorry for being a bit off-topic.. it just got me thinking how absurd it -can- be with games.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My freind had a serious addiction to WoW. I mean a real problem. He would miss days of school because of quests and such. Eventually, we got him to quit. It's so ridiculous that something like that could happen because of a video game.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm very entertained please continue.

Are You Entertained?

• The Following User Says Thank You to skullsquid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone else find games/ TV shitty and boring after a good day of drawing?

Do you Mentler?

Booting up a new sketchbook.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When reading this...
    Another weird thing is that I'll probably, when I'm more dependent on money, get a job doing concept art or something like that in the video games industry.
    Then this....
    In short, video games... depress me. It's a negative force in my life, even though it's something very simple and makes a lot of people very happy.
    I have to say no offense, bro...but you will never get a job in the video game industry, and really you shouldn't even consider it, regardless of how "easy" it is to get into and how "difficult" other industries are.

There are a lot of people out there who are passionate about the art of gaming and it's those people that will get the job because their portfolios will show their passion.

I totally feel what you are saying...I definitely did more personal art in highschool (for example) than now, because I do play a lot of games. I have to keep up on what is good in the industry so I can see what techniques are being used (sounds like an excuse, but I believe in it!). BUT, the trade off is I do art all day long, then I come home and do art as well. But I also like a little game-time to cool down after work on my nice, soft sofa. Games can definitely get to be an addictive, negative force in someone's life, but it's like that with anything you know? Alcoholism is bad, but there's nothing wrong with a few beers or a couple glasses of wine every now and then.

It's good to have focus...necessary, in fact, to get better as an artist. But I don't subscribe to the idea that games are just inherently bad. It pays my bills, it gives me enjoyment, and most importantly it lets me work in an industry that is FUN and rewarding. But mostly, I am speaking for myself and my age. When I was your age (god, I sound really old now), I definitely spent 90% of my day doing personal art and preparing my college portfolio...so you have the right mindset.

In conclusion, there's nothing about "games" that should depress you. It's just a form of entertainment. If anything is going to depress you, it should be the guy with 56 Shamans in World of Warcraft and the Matrix of monitors lined up so he can control them all at once.

Last edited by Dusty; October 19th, 2008 at 08:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    In conclusion, there's nothing about "games" that should depress you. It's just a form of entertainment. If anything is going to depress you, it should be the guy with 56 Shamans in World of Warcraft and the Matrix of monitors lined up so he can control them all at once.
    nothing depressing...

• The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Grief For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh give me a break.....

Hardly the point I was trying to make and hardly relevant to what he was talking about.

But yes, very depressing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well it isn't so much video games themselves that depress me than the fact that I feel so alienated from my friends because of them. I used to feel extremely close with them but now that all of this video game stuff has been going on for the past year or two, I feel quite separated.

And Dusty, you got lucky and got a gig with Bloodbath. If you wanted, you could probably do album covers for the rest of your career. Unless something like that happens for me though, I doubt I'll have the same advantage.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Video games are an interesting topic in my life. For my friends, like music and art are for me, they're their favorite thing and how they spend a lot of their time. It's become a weird social thing too. I see my friends for only a few hours each day but they talk for hours on Xbox live and such. I feel in a way further distanced from my friends than they are with each other because of it.
    While you shouldn't just cut them off suddenly, it might be a good time to start hanging out with new people. It is highly unlikely that they will be your friends forever, especially after you all graduate high school. Its not a negative thing, but people change, they grow apart and move on to other things. If you want life-long friends, then they will probably be people who share your same interests and feelings. Its not always the case, but speaking generally thats the way it goes. The only thing you can do is cherish the times you have spent together and always keep in some sort of touch with them. Besides, if they choose video games over you then that is your answer right there.

Honestly I get quite bored with video games when I play them for more than a half an hour.
    Then don't play them.

Another weird thing is that I'll probably, when I'm more dependent on money, get a job doing concept art or something like that in the video games industry.
    Just because you are doing concept art for a video game doesn't mean you have to breathe eat and sleep video games. Being a game addict helps game designers more than the artists. You can live without that aspect.

I feel that the entire world is just too entertained... and I'd like to not contribute so much to that mindless entertainment, yet I need to in order to support myself/family.
    Of course you feel that the entire world is too entertained, look at all the songs you listed below. If you surround yourself with anti-entertainment messages then you are most likely going to feel that way. Not saying that music directly makes you feel a certain way, but it does set a mood and it rubs off onto your mind.

Nobody is forcing you to watch TV, or play video games so don't get so bent out of shape about it. I am not really understanding the term "mindless entertainment" unless you mean entertainment that does not inform or educate. In that case, that's at least 90% of entertainment. If the goal of entertainment was strictly to inform, it would be called education. Again, using the music you posted below as an example, none of it educates. There are no statistics, no facts, no examples. Its just feelings of the artists. You have a little bit of jaded feelings toward popular entertainment and then these artists fed that, they satisfied the feelings within you. That's entertainment my friend.

I myself feel the need to connect more with my "entertainment". Art and Music are both ways of self expression.
    Nothing wrong with that man, go do your thing. Just be yourself and do what makes you happy.
    I have a bunch of video game systems: DS, PSP, Xbox, Xbox 360, PS, etc. ... but I rarely ever play any of them. I bought everyone of them on impulse because all of my friends have them. Games are too expensive, I'd rather buy more music.
    That was a silly move on your part, can't blame the games themselves. But now you know that it was a mistake and you won't make it in the future. Take solace in that and stick to buying music which makes you happy. If you would rather buy music, then your real friends wouldn't care. Yeah they might be like "Yo get a PS3 man, its awesome." but there would be no real pressure.

I feel the same way about TV and Movies (unless I'm in a real theater). I feel like I could just be doing something better with my life.
    You have to understand that sometimes we attach feelings and thoughts to symbols. The video games are a symbol for you, they were not something you were very interested in from the start but now they have the negative connotation of that disconnected feeling with your friends. They probably also symbolize wasting your time which makes them even worse to you. Not everyone sees games this way so that's why they're not really a negative thing, they just symbolize negativity to you. Same with the TV and movies, they symbolize a waste of time. There's nothing wrong with that, everyone does it to different things you just have to eliminate those objects from your life.

Again, do what makes you happy. If you don't want to just sit and watch TV at a friends house, take your sketch book. I'm sure your friends wouldn't mind you cranking out some drawing, its not like you all would be having an in-depth conversation. Do the same thing when it comes to video games, you can go hang out with your friends without doing the exact same thing they're doing. Since your friends can influence you into buying expensive video game stuff you might find that you can influence them into being interested in art or your music. Then you will be closer to them. If that doesn't really work then go read my first paragraph again.

Good luck man.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jake Kobrin View Post
    Well it isn't so much video games themselves that depress me than the fact that I feel so alienated from my friends because of them. I used to feel extremely close with them but now that all of this video game stuff has been going on for the past year or two, I feel quite separated.

And Dusty, you got lucky and got a gig with Bloodbath. If you wanted, you could probably do album covers for the rest of your career. Unless something like that happens for me though, I doubt I'll have the same advantage.
    Ah, well I see your point then. I just think you need to find the balance man. You shouldn't feel alienated at all, hopefully your friends will start focusing on whatever they intend to do for college soon as well. And I agree with what Buck said, if they make you feel bad for it...they might be bad influences to your career. That's why if you haven't, you should consider art school. Getting friends that are also into art will erase a lot of the feelings you are having.

And for the record...there is absolutely no "luck" in what I've achieved for myself, my friend. I was 15 just like you once and I've busted ass to get to where I am. I'm fortunate, yes, but not lucky. Everything I have done has been calculated. I set a goal and I do it, regardless of how long it takes. And I am only at the beginning of my career....I still have many goals to achieve.

You will get what you want man, you are an awesome artist for your age...seriously!

So I guess what I am saying is keep on with your focus all the way through college and beyond, but don't forget to relax every now and then.

-D

• The Following User Says Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,008 Times in 643 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My Brothers are 5 and 8
    They spend ALL their waking hours on either Tv or Playstation, Xbox/360, Ds and the psp.
    It makes me feel guilty to think, I love concept art so much but by making it am I destroying some peoples lives?
    My dad was talking to me about what i wanted to do when i grew up and i explained to him how concept art is about entertainment and all he could say was "Don't you think there something better you can do, by making these games or movies you just helping people waste time" And ever since hes said that i've been in serouise doubt about what I want to become.
    Its so true it hurts, were all here saying to each other "stop wasting time on that game go draw and improve your skills" and yet were making more games and stoping some people from getting their goals and dreams.
    Its all just too wierd....

• The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Nibras For This Useful Post:

• Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.