Leather - General Critique

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face Leather - General Critique

Tried to somewhat finish this. What do you think?
    EDIT: I removed the wonky leg

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by FatalOx; October 16th, 2008 at 11:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't really understand the pose of this figure.

I like the colors, and love the mood it gives me, but the pose looks like it just dodged some car or other fast thing that ran past it behind the figure's left side, and its looking at that direction with a 'hey watch where you're going!' kind of feeling.

Just keep in mind for future paintings, dynamic mid-action poses should be able to give the viewer at least an idea of why the character is standing like that.

Imagine seeing neo from matrix in the dodge bullet scene without any sign of the bullet. We'd probably be 'why the hell is he leaning back like that, bad back pain or something?'

Course, I might just be reading your painting wrong, in which case, just disregard what I said

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It appears what you were going for was an angry pose like he's looking at someone he's about to fight, a sort of body language that says "try it, fucker"

The main thing that doesn't look right to me is his right leg. It looks to me like we're seeing too much of the side of his leg when we should be seeing more of the front

Everybody wants to go to heaven, but nobody wants to die

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks for the comments guys! I didnt feel right about the leg from the beginning, but i think it works alot better now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

I agree with the others, it's a nice piece but not sure what's going on. I think he just be behind forwards a bit more as he's about to charge into something, and probably add some highlights to signify the positioning of his legs.

Keep up the good work though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It looks better. I would personally pick a more defiant stance though. Chest sticking up and head bent forward in a challenging sort of way. You can think 'what would kratos or the prince of persia do?' when you draw figures with 2 swords. I know I do

On another note, keep in mind that giving a character 2 swords is a tricky business. When there's one sword, its a great focal point for the viewer. Its the weapon. When there's two, that focal point is somewhat lost. There aren't any 'fix' solutions to this, its just something I like to keep in mind when giving a character two similar handheld stuff. I usually try to either make them look different, or hide one back in the shadows so it doesnt look as ominous and prominent as the one in the foreground.

My concept art blog

Better lucky than good!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it looks like its about to dance rather then fight its leaning too far forward, consider putting a little anti clockwise on it and if your going for a humanoid look then the chest or rib bit its too small that or you want to make spine a bit longer.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The pose feels a bit like a dance of death and I really dig the smokey atmosphere that you have going on here. I think that the background could use a little more texture, perhaps like water bled India ink or water color. For the character the design is very creepy but I think it could probably be even more creepy if you added stringy sinew, muscle or fabric connected from his back to his butt like melty cheese from a pizza.

Imagination is not a total internal power but rather it is a reflection and multi-faceted projection of our experiences and knowledge. We take in information from the world around us and intuitively re-order it into something new. Something is not created from nothing but simply transformed from what was before.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.