character concept dump

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking character concept dump

Alrighty folks, I've been hard at work practicing my color techniques, and while the results aren't exactly what I would have liked, progress is being made (i believe, feel free to shoot that thought in the ass should you disagree...seriously)

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would say.. Don't be too afraid of antithesis in your colors. Especially the skin. Skin tends to be far more brownish in the shadow part, and less saturated in the light.

Typical 101 color lesson, saturation is in the middle- not in the shadow, not in the light.

One other observation, the white around the pupil in the eyes is shadowed too. you seem to have given it a white value making it pop out strangely. Might want to look into that.

Otherwise, I like the concepts, except the part of the ring in that sword. That doesn't seem very functional

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vak For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest you start working your images in greyscale first before moving to color. Most others have gotten to other points I'd make.

There are some slight anatomy issues.

One other thing I should suggest is try doing thumbs of various poses to make sure you convey the best one for your character. The first idea is not always the best idea. Even if you don't use the other poses you sketched out, there's nothing wrong with recycling sketches for other works.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you both for the critiques thus far, its interesting you both mentioned my use of line, that I either didn't do enough or I did too much, I will experiment both ways to see how that works out, hopefully I can do it soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The first guy is pretty cool, really like the tubes and eyes. The red works very well with the rest of the colors. With the barbarian guys, I would like to see you get away from the lines on the arms. You seem to use lines to indicate muscles, but if you are trying to work on color, using shading should be the direction you should be headed toward. Look forward to some more of your work.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, everyone is mentioning my line work, I think its time to mess with it and take the leap to try and get rid of and replace it with color asap, thanks you guys are a great help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First step can be hard, believe me, I went through this and the growing pains were not pretty. But then again, I am incredibly critical of the crap I call art that I make. Just remember, practice until those hands bleed!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    actually, in my humble opinion, the anatomy issues are what bring down the quality of the works. It's another one of those "all the small things make a big difference" scenarios. Midly flawed anatomy, outlines, and cloth that has shading which seems underdeveloped when compared to the metal parts (which, I must say, are pretty good), all contribute to bringing the overall.. Quality? of the pieces. Work on the small stuff, and the bigger picture will improve drastically.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.