Questions on Concept Art

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Questions on Concept Art

Hello Everyone.
    I'm new to this website, and I'm a (Australian) young aspiring concept artist.
    I do have a question on what requirements, skills and design programs that are invaluable to the industry, as i am currently studying year 10, and soon will be doing Tafe and Uni courses on Graphic art and Game art (Screen). I know that good drawing ability is needed, and the use of programs such as Adobe photoshop is also needed, but as i read through the forums I also see things such as costume and mechanical design, modeling, skinning, FX, etc. If anyone is willing to give me advice on where to look, what skills i should develop (recommended courses) and what to aim at, would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks;
    Legion

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've heard that with big developers, you usually stay where you're put. With smaller ones, you might go from say modelling to texture work and such. Some developers keep their employees, others let them go when the project is done.

Costume and mechanical design are part of concept art. A lot of concept artists can do anything and will specialize in certain fields, i.e. environment artist can do characters and the other way around.

If you want to get into concept art, show us your work. I'm guessing you've got a lot of work ahead of you; building the skills before you get the job and the real work begins.

This is worth reading. It isn't concept art but it will give you a good idea of how the industry is.

You're from Australia so you should definitely come to the Massive Black workshop happening in Wellington of New Zealand next month. There are details about it in the very first forum you see in the index.

Take care

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Max Challie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks This has helped.
    I will start posting sum of my work, but my scanner cant be installed due to not having the TWAIN 32 files. cant seem to get them. hmmm.
    Thanks for the help

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.