Finalising
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Finalising

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Finalising

well i have this problem of not finishing alot projects . like colouring other peoples line art but after like maybe and hour i kinda get tired and sometimes do it day by day or sometimes i just abandon it and go for another one or i just can't think of anything to add.

its like i can do it but i just get reluctant to do it.

maybe i need to set a goal and try accomplish it , sorry if this might be a useless post but i just can't fiigure how to push my self forward in times like this.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just do it

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're probably just trying to tackle more than you can. Try smaller projects first, then work your way up to more ambitious ones.

There's nothing like the feeling of finishing a piece you worked your ass off on.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm... I have to disagree with the previous post.

Coz I'm the same way, I just love to start new things... but often find finishing my projects to feel like a chore. I've had many illustrations get to *almost* final and then just drag. If it was personal work, I'd probably never finish many of them. Of course with hired work, you have to finish it... and at times there's not much you can do but just knuckle down. Still, I find it helps to have several projects to work on, then when I get that "foot-dragging feeling" I can switch to something else.

The trick though, is if you're doing professional work for clients, it's gotta get it done on schedule whether you feel like it or not. But if you're not working for clients or school, then where's the problem if you do stop working on a piece? I've got drawers full of work waiting to get done "someday".

"Change is a virtue my friend... if you want to escape, all you have to do is make up your mind."
    John Cale / Bob Neuwirth

Here be SKETCHIES...

www.ccthrom.com

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are times when my project feels like a chore. I just chop and change which bits to work on. Okay, a picture is not quite the same as an animation, but you should make yourself go back to it – you might even surprise yourself.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks guysbut it really bugs cuz i got few finished works to present in my portfolio. i kinda want a good portfolio so i can show off to clients and also to feel good that i've accomplished something well done ya know

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, either you do it, or you don't
    there's consequences attached to both options.. your choice, right?

think of it this way, tomorrow you could have some freak accident losing your hands, or sight.. what do you want to have accomplished before that happens?

WEED TORTURE WIN
    www.hyver.com -()- sketch thread

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Hyver For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Imagine that your friend told one big client about your art. You're going to have phone call tomorrow or in two days and they will ask for some portfolio with finished art .

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Farvus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rapxic, I have the same problem as you. =(
    Setting goals really helps solving this. Divide the projects you want to complete in small parts or large parts ( like drafting, drawing, coloring, finishing touches, etc.). Give yourself a time frame to get each part done, and make sure you have some extra time added in case one step takes longer than planned. That works for me like 90% of the time.
    If that doesn't work, then get in that "drawing mode" (when you feel like you can do or create anything), then strap yourself down in front of the computer and DO IT. Just push yourself really hard to complete it in one sitting. Don't allow yourself to get up until you get a significant part completed. When I do this, I don't get up for like 4 hours at a time, not including bathroom breaks. It helps to keep a snack next to you. =P
    I know that sounds hard to do, but it's worth seeing a finished product you're proud of!
    I'm probably going to spend my weekend pushing myself to draw, because I also need to finish my portfolio...

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cadeo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks alot guys , i'll see if i can set time as cadeo said, i also realised i just needed to feel relax

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know, sometimes stuff just IS work.

One of the reasons we keep seeing these "motivation" threads is that people seem to keep confusing doing their art, with entertainment.

If you want it to be entertainment, then do it as a hobby, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with that at all.

But if you want to be a professional artist, and get paid for your work, and make a living (or even part-living) with it, then stuff's got to get finished, and in a timely fashion.

You don't just need to complete stuff to "have a portfolio to show to clients" - you need to establish the habit of completing stuff, on time, and at good quality, as a standard thing - clients have a right to expect that the work they employ you for will be completed, too.

If you want to be a pro, then what's your motivation? Its paying the bills, paying the rent or mortgage, putting food on the table. Is that enough motivation?

Dave

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dcorc For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.