CA should have a Hardware Section!!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Should CA have a Hardware section?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • YES

34 85.00%
  • NO

6 15.00%
    Brashen is offline Ralph Abou Raad - Professional Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

CA should have a Hardware Section!!

It would be nice to have instead of people wandering where to post there questions, there would be a thread dedicated to what artists use whether traditionally or digitally.

Furthermore it will help people to decide on what to purchase instead of blindly buying whatever is at hand.

Vote yes or no.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    If nothing else, it would be someplace to put all the "what tablet should I buy" threads.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    AGREED.

Though, that question is easily answered Elwell. Wacom Cintiq 12WX. It's the most affordable Cintiq, "portable"ish, and it's got all the awesomeness of a Intuos 3. Woot.

Last edited by corspufo; October 14th, 2008 at 08:08 PM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to corspufo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think it would be usefull to post reviews on diffrent stuff like eisles and drafting tables

and to talk about our impressions on diffrent brush makers . altrhough im fairly certain everyone will recomend windsor newton, prismacolor , derwent, ans grumbacher or however you spell it

not to mention liquin and turpinoid

has anyone tried the new turpenoid natural ???

not sure how to add my sketchbook as a link but heres wher eits at yo
    Foodogs sketchblog

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jadefoodog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It would also be nice to be able to keep people up with the constantly evolving monitor technology. I sure wish I researched my monitor a bit more before I bought it. ;\

"New" Turpenoid Natural? I wasn't aware they changed anything. Or have you just not heard of it? It's only good for cleaning your brushes/floor. I wouldn't use it directly on any of your paintings. Horrible consistency.

For clarification, I'm talking about this stuff:

It's non toxic, so you can technically wash your hands with it. But I wouldn't. The stuff is very sticky and smells crappy. (Fresh orange scent my ass)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Gory For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Or the entire section could consist of one post saying
    LEARN TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, GENIUS

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 1,584 Times in 1,007 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Or the entire section could consist of one post saying
    LEARN TO USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION, GENIUS

And they would?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,402 Times in 557 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Meh, i think it's fine posting all of the hardware news and other stuff here in the lounge. Usually when i post about hardware, i'm wanting opinions on it and trying to see what everyone thinks of it. I would doubt that if there were a separate hardware area, that it would get as much traffic and thus as many opinions as it would if all hardware related stuff remained as something to be posted in the lounge.

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
    --- Frank Herbert, Dune - Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Check out my Sketchbook! Critique and Criticism welcomed.

or my Deviantart!

or check out my: Blog

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe a sub-forum

"The superior man is distressed by the limitations of his ability; he is not distressed by the fact that men do not recognize the ability that he has."

My BLOG

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bushido For This Useful Post:

Jason Manley is offline Administrator Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 10,588 Times in 2,195 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    just hold on...working on something like this now. we are on it...

j

LEVEL UP! - ConceptArt.Org online workshops 25% off registration right now!

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As Bushido stated it could be part of the Lounge if traffic would be a problem..... But I highly doubt it. People really like their hardware for the simple fact that we are a very materialistic species.

Anyway I'm glad this is getting a positive response. Oh and thank you Jason!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even beyond monitors, tablets and stuff, you can stumbled upon some really nifty info in an inconspicuous thread about LIGHTING setups and stuff. (Incandescent bulb thread and Elwell's jibber jabber). To have everything in one place would be ace. But since Jason said they're working on something now... include not-so-obvious stuff too! Sitting types, lighting rigs, etc.

tomwaits4noman is offline well, that's a pipe of a different color Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously
    can't people just use google? instead of posting in CA

there are sites and boards dedicated to sofware and hardware reviews and technical support

on second thoughts if they are not going to use CA's search engine what hope do they have of using google

SKETCHBOOK

"There aren't any shortcuts. You've got to dig in study and draw the world around you. This is the only way to hone your skill and develop a style that is your own". GREG CAPULLO

Arshes Nei is offline Registered User Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by egerie View Post
    Even beyond monitors, tablets and stuff, you can stumbled upon some really nifty info in an inconspicuous thread about LIGHTING setups and stuff. (Incandescent bulb thread and Elwell's jibber jabber). To have everything in one place would be ace. But since Jason said they're working on something now... include not-so-obvious stuff too! Sitting types, lighting rigs, etc.
    Actually, I had posted in the suggestions forum a while back that there should be a "Hardware/Art Supply Forum" that way people can also talk about various brands of paints, markers and tablets. I think the computer is a tool, so is a paint brush. One can be designated for Electronics, one can be for more traditional set ups too. Though the two can be mingled if you're talking about lighting, tables and other rigs.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everyone knows that you can't do real art without a Cintiq, when you try a Cintiq an Intuos feels as clumsy as a mouse.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tomwaits4noman View Post
    Seriously
    Sometimes its easier to relate to another artists perspective on the problem at hand. A lot of us are not techs, and most of the explanations given for problems in a lot of these forums (not all) are one step above the average understanding of pc architecture. Not to mention, a lot of the fixes provided publicly by anon, have to deal with base components of high importance relating to pc performance and stability. That can make anyone uncomfortable in messing with your computer's overall health, so having a familiar avatar, name or local artist guide you through it is always a plus...and reassuring. Not to mention, you could always send him a pm after you deleted sys32 like he told you to, and are now running on DOS.

Regarding all those "What tablet should I .." threads, I ask my tire dealer what tires I should get for my car before I buy them, I also ask the rug guy what rugs are best for my home before I buy and install. So it makes sense to me, that if you are about to make an investment in a tablet partner, you should ask your local artists what their opinion is.

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

24. The Following User Says Thank You to JL.Alfaro For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Portus View Post
    Everyone knows that you can't do real art without a Cintiq, when you try a Cintiq an Intuos feels as clumsy as a mouse.
    This statement is both false and true, in that order.

J.L. ALFARO

"Be who you are and say what you feel,because those that mind don't matter and those that matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JL.Alfaro that's my point exactly. I cant't believe some people when they say go Google it. That's like asking someone in the Critique section to Google how to achieve a painterly look with a certain brush!!

Oh and I prefer Intuos to the Cintiq...sorry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Arshes Nei View Post
    Actually, I had posted in the suggestions forum a while back that there should be a "Hardware/Art Supply Forum" that way people can also talk about various brands of paints, markers and tablets. I think the computer is a tool, so is a paint brush.
    Exactly.
    One can be designated for Electronics, one can be for more traditional set ups too. Though the two can be mingled if you're talking about lighting, tables and other rigs.
    I'm a bit hesitant when it comes to dividing stuff. Over categorising might make it more difficult to find the info, or form a barrier that could hamper discution or communication between the formats (whether it's a subforum or something else the crew is cooking).
    2 cents worth two cents

Last edited by Elwell; October 17th, 2008 at 01:48 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been building a new machine, and had a lot of tech questions (mostly multiple hard drives configurations for PS speed), eventually I searched all the answers on Google, but it was a pain, as the majority of articles were not targeted at artists. I'd rather ask people here on a dedicated Hardware section, who use the certain hardware on a daily and have real life tips.

The CA search feature doesn't always work, because the tech information gets old fast.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously

there are sites and boards dedicated to sofware and hardware reviews and technical support

on second thoughts if they are not going to use CA's search engine what hope do they have of using google
    I think some people probably check there but still ask around here. I mean, its one thing to see how a company explains its products, or the reviews that you can find made by people you don't know, but it is rather nice to be able to run it by a group of working artists who you know and have seen their work.

I think that having the forum for it will be a good idea, it should make it easier to check if the question has been asked before. Even with the search function things can be lost if the words in the search aren't right, or the replies might be old. I mean, the best tablet choice in 2003 might be very different from the best in 2008.

Anyways I saw Mr. Manley's reply that something of this nature is in the works and just want to say thanks and I look foreward to seeing it. (would click the "thanks" button but that doesn't seem to work with my old laptop and my nice computer is waiting for me to find a more permanent place of residence.)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Not to mention, you could always send him a pm after you deleted sys32 like he told you to, and are now running on DOS.
    This made me lol.

I'm all for a hardware section. I would love to get feedback on different brands and products. I get a lot of "just buy a lot of different stuff and try it out" as if, you know, a broke college kid like me could afford that :/ (Hey mom? Can I have some money to buy oil paints....again?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great to see positive responses to this and I'm actually excited to see how Jason and the guys will implement the thread!!

Asatira is offline an amateur trying to figure things out Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think something like this, maybe as a sub-forum of the Lounge or maybe even the Art Discussion forums, would be good. Everyone has made good points about computer related hardware, and some on traditional media. But I'd also like advice on other things, like storage ideas for materials. It's not something that comes up a lot, but finding out the best ways of storing media and tools and where to find the storage for sale (or to make) can be a little harder.

I also look forward to whatever Jason and the rest have planned.

"It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously

I use google to search the forum instead of the search function

i bet the majority of google users don't know how to use it properly

wonder how many on here know about the site:www.domain.com options for instance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't mind seeing what types of SLR camera's people would suggest for taking pictures of traditional paintings.

Of course I could just start a thread. But if there was enough information on a hardware section, it'd be easier to search for.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.