Is digital art in a school application a bad idea?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

1. Is digital art in a school application a bad idea?

Alot of schools ask you to send them about 5 or more photos/slides of your recent work. I thought about sending off 5 traditional art photos and an extra one with a collage of some of my digital work, just as a supplement.

I'm wondering whether, at best, they'd just ignore the printed digital pic or at worst think of it as a bad point in my application and write it off entirely.

This is the sort of thing I was thinking of, with a note on the back maybe saying "a collection of illustrative work": http://www.ccir.ed.ac.uk/~nanderso/paintings.jpg

Any thoughts?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    I think if its a good school they should accept it, because in some ways it can be harder to draw digital.

i am removed

I'm wondering whether, at best, they'd just ignore the printed digital pic or at worst think of it as a bad point in my application and write it off entirely.
    No, they'd see that you are serious about your art and be very impressed that you took an extra step to show your work. Digitaly printed work has become acceptable, and I can't see them thinking of it in a negative way.

Your work is very good, what will you be going to school for?

If the school is one that would look down upon digital artists, would you really want to go there anyway?

As long as your presentation is nice... I think you're in the clear. You'd want to go to a school that can see beyond what medium a peice is made out of and apreciate good drawing, painting, color, and composition efforts regardles of medium of choice. You're work looks strong and it seems you are really passionate about digital... you probably don't want to end up in a school that is not open to that avenue of your interest. I guess I am also curiuos as to what you would be studying if you care to share... it seems like you are already making very strong efforts...

Members who have read this thread: 1